18-19 May: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

Not the best of days in Wrexham, although the Cru at least managed to draw the second half, Whitehaven are a competent side with a well organised defence but we should have done better than that as the second half showed (although 'haven's first second half try was a real peach!). Neither side was helped by the ref's, um, individual take on matters, and Andy Murray had a go at him as he came off the pitch at half time which I hope won't lead to any repercussions. 342 of us there on a decent day including apparently 61 from Whitehaven (Cumbrian teams always seem to have good away support).

Following a move to the north east last year I got to my first Thunder game today. Great atmosphere and I have no worries about the future of the sport up here after seeing the number of kids and kits on show following what was presumably a junior tournament before the match.

Enjoyable game. Thunder raced into an early 16 point lead including a smart try from Marginet after a couple of off loads. Keighley fought back well with momentum shifting once the starting props went off and to me looked the more likely to push on in the second half possibly aided by a couple of confusing decisions by the ref. However thunder finished strongly (when their starting props returned?) and 3 tries in the last 10 minutes was a bit harsh on Keighley. 

It was my visit experience of league that wasn't either international or super league and I was quite impressed by the quality. I'll definitely be back again.

One last thing, how many of the team today (and in general) are 'locals'? The club seem to be doing great things and I'm sure there will be plenty more running around both for thunder and other clubs in years to come.

6 hours ago, FearNothing said:

Disappointing yesterday, especially as, for a good patch in the second half, we showed how good we can be....need some consistency (and a Welsh referee!!)

Why? All but one of your 25 plus man squad are English ?

6 hours ago, RLNew said:

Why? All but one of your 25 plus man squad are English ?

All but seven if you believe this ??

http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/team-squad-northwalescrusaders.html

Edit: actually make that eight, just noticed the "scotsman" in the squad.?

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

43 minutes ago, RLNew said:

You are correct, my apologies. How was the game? Whitehaven a good side?

I'm only correct if Warrington is in Wales so no need to apologise. Your original post is closer to the truth, I just stumbled across the squad in the link (which mistakenly shows several players to be Welsh) and thought it would be amusing to reply with it. Sorry if I mislead you.

Whitehaven were very solid in defence, Chronicler of Chiswick has summed up the game pretty well and Haven were worthy winners.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

Archived