18 May: SL: Catalans Dragons v Wigan Warriors KO 3.30pm (UK Time) (TV)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/05/19 at 14:30

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Quite possibly. Leeds have had two recent periods where influential players have departed, and their performances have suffered badly. Wigan are going through that too.

Plus where do you replace a quality of Bateman? In fact Wigan brought in 2 players one off who had to go off injured today.

Wigan have been making unforced errors for years. As at the Cas game, 3 tries in 8 minutes.  Today its not surprising that Wigans minds wondered in one of these "earth breaking" games.  Small consolation that Wire and Trinity were the same today.

Off topic and in relation to football commentators... The BBC FA Cup commentary is appalling.

PS... if Watford were a lame horse they would have been put down.

23 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Plus where do you replace a quality of Bateman? In fact Wigan brought in 2 players one off who had to go off injured today.

Wigan have been making unforced errors for years. As at the Cas game, 3 tries in 8 minutes.  Today its not surprising that Wigans minds wondered in one of these "earth breaking" games.  Small consolation that Wire and Trinity were the same today.

Off topic and in relation to football commentators... The BBC FA Cup commentary is appalling.

Late arrivals like Bullock and Greenwood have been doing pretty fine. But every attacking decision seems hamstrung by either fractured communication or, as we saw today, rotten execution. I think the current squad, given time (and one or two additions/subtractions) could play some very effective and entertaining Rugby at the pointy end of SL, but we're not really up to it right now.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

When you see how well Bateman is going in the NRL, it makes you realise how us, fans of other clubs, have maybe underrated him while he was at Wigan.

32 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Oh I, that other games final was on today, I have never given it a thought till you mention it, I would sooner be strung up with meat hooks attached to my eyelids than watch it though. 

35 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Oh I, that other games final was on today, I have never given it a thought till you mention it, I would sooner be strung up with meat hooks attached to my eyelids than watch it though. 

We had true blue manc with us today, he is married to a my mates daughter. When city were due to kick off he left to watch his beloved blues. He had to talk the bar over into switching one of tvs over to soccer as they were watching the rugby. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 minutes ago, Padge said:

We had true blue manc with us today, he is married to a my mates daughter. When city were due to kick off he left to watch his beloved blues. He had to talk the bar over into switching one of tvs over to soccer as they were watching the rugby. 

You should have sent him up in that cable car thingy, then cut the rope.

PS I did read that you are in Barcelona didn't I?

I am not surprised to see that abject performance by us. I have been watching Wigan for 40 years, and would make a case that Lam is the worst coach we have had since I started watching (Fairburn being the first). While Eric Hughes, John Dorahy and Ian Millward could run him close, unlike 2 of those Lam has a very good squad indeed, with the pick of the best under 19s in the country to supplement a squad which was good enough to finish second and win the Grand Final last October.

It is extraordinary to see such a good group of players with seemingly little motivation (they looked like they gave up in the second half) but with no plan, poor conditioning and no structure. It makes almost compelling viewing to see us coached so ineptly. Now, of course, the plan was never really for him to be head coach, and indeed he might have expected to be working with Edwards behind the scenes by now. We have 4 more away games before we next play at home, and I would be surprised if we win any of them if Lam stays in charge, which is a travesty given how good we could be. 

Belgium went about 2 years without a government, and did pretty well. It would be interesting to see, and I suspect unlikely but my money would be on us doing much better with no coach at all. 

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Late arrivals like Bullock and Greenwood have been doing pretty fine. But every attacking decision seems hamstrung by either fractured communication or, as we saw today, rotten execution. I think the current squad, given time (and one or two additions/subtractions) could play some very effective and entertaining Rugby at the pointy end of SL, but we're not really up to it right now.

Yes.  But Wigan are making to many unforced errors. Good luck to opponents but it's about time Wigan stopped making it easy for them.

Congratulations to Catalans. Even as a Wigan fan I was delighted they won today. Their fans were magnificent all the way through and it felt like hard earned recognition for the game after the plight of the game in France and the problems it has had to face. A tremendous day and weekend.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Congratulations to Catalans. Even as a Wigan fan I was delighted they won today. Their fans were magnificent all the way through and it felt like hard earned recognition for the game after the plight of the game in France and the problems it has had to face. A tremendous day and weekend.

But did it rain, Michael Fish? :kolobok_biggrin:

6 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I am not surprised to see that abject performance by us. I have been watching Wigan for 40 years, and would make a case that Lam is the worst coach we have had since I started watching (Fairburn being the first). While Eric Hughes, John Dorahy and Ian Millward could run him close, unlike 2 of those Lam has a very good squad indeed, with the pick of the best under 19s in the country to supplement a squad which was good enough to finish second and win the Grand Final last October.

It is extraordinary to see such a good group of players with seemingly little motivation (they looked like they gave up in the second half) but with no plan, poor conditioning and no structure. It makes almost compelling viewing to see us coached so ineptly. Now, of course, the plan was never really for him to be head coach, and indeed he might have expected to be working with Edwards behind the scenes by now. We have 4 more away games before we next play at home, and I would be surprised if we win any of them if Lam stays in charge, which is a travesty given how good we could be. 

Belgium went about 2 years without a government, and did pretty well. It would be interesting to see, and I suspect unlikely but my money would be on us doing much better with no coach at all. 

The quality of squad inherited by Lam is nothing as good as you suggest.  The key area lacking and a glaring one is hooker and scrum half. Other clubs are in the same boat of course and those who have them may have injuries.  

The other position is right centre... But to be fair Sargison looked quick when his try was disallowed last week.  And do our middles make the yardage they should? But top players are hard to come by.

On top of this Williams looks to be going to Canberra.  So it's absurd to say the squad is one of the best. The squad is good if all fit but if other teams were fit we would struggle to justify a top 5 place. To some extent this is inevitable ... it's a balance that has to be made in letting players go and bringing in new ones. But it is the players who drop the ball. And they were doing it last season as well as this.

For me for however, for all the jolly of Barcelona I would prefer Wigan to play at Catalans own ground win or lose and concentrate on the basics and leave the evangelism to someone else.

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The quality of squad inherited by Lam is nothing as good as you suggest.  The key area lacking and a glaring one is hooker and scrum half. Other clubs are in the same boat of course and those who have them may have injuries.  

The other position is right centre... But to be fair Sargison looked quick when his try was disallowed last week.  And do our middles make the yardage they should? But top players are hard to come by.

On top of this Williams looks to be going to Canberra.  So it's absurd to say the squad is one of the best. The squad is good if all fit but if other teams were fit we would struggle to justify a top 5 place. To some extent this is inevitable ... it's a balance that has to be made in letting players go and bringing in new ones. But it is the players who drop the ball. And they were doing it last season as well as this.

For me for however, for all the jolly of Barcelona I would prefer Wigan to play at Catalans own ground win or lose and concentrate on the basics and leave the evangelism to someone else.

We will have to agree to disagree. The vast majority of this squad was good enough to win many games last year. It is fascinating in a ghoulish way to watch how poor performances he can extract from the team. I am happy to be proven wrong, but would be pleased to revisit this in a month’s time by which I suspect he won’t have been sacked but we will have lost 4 more away games. Which will make his win percentage around 30% - by a distance the worst in 40 years. 

10 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

We will have to agree to disagree. The vast majority of this squad was good enough to win many games last year. It is fascinating in a ghoulish way to watch how poor performances he can extract from the team. I am happy to be proven wrong, but would be pleased to revisit this in a month’s time by which I suspect he won’t have been sacked but we will have lost 4 more away games. Which will make his win percentage around 30% - by a distance the worst in 40 years. 

Some time ago I suggested to Wigan supporters on this blog ...those who were pleased to see the back of Wane and wanted a more expensive less "structured" game... that they should be careful what they wish for.

I am not being sycophantic about Lam.  I am pointing out that there are a number of  cracks in the edifice. This is nothing to do with him. And indeed we should not be surprised if Wigan struggle as they are in the process of renewing their side... not least missing a 7 and 9.  It's sad for Wigan that Sammut is injured. 

Really enjoyed that. Highly successful day for the Dragons. They put on a good show, from the players to the fans to the PAs (the usual one speaking French and the Catalan one).

The atmosphere was great even less than one-third full. Must be frightening for the opposition when the Nou Camp is full! 

Catalans are a great club, a big club, steeped in rugby league history going back to the 1930s and a major asset to Super League. That is beyond doubt. Next stop Old Trafford.

Not fussed about Magic in Barcelona, I’m more concerned about how we grow the game over there. Maybe with a Barcelona or Girona club?

Final thought. I wonder if all the people drinking Estrella in the ground realised it was alcohol-free? That was the only downside of today!

To bed...

Super League: Catalans Dragons beat Wigan Warriors Catalans 33-16 in Barcelona
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/48268530

Had a long day/night at work and just catching up on the days goings on. Might just be tiredness kicking in but has anyone else seen the picture at the top of this reports that has Vichy Catalan on what appears to be one of the scoreboards. Anyone know why?

5 hours ago, SteveT said:

Super League: Catalans Dragons beat Wigan Warriors Catalans 33-16 in Barcelona
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/48268530

Had a long day/night at work and just catching up on the days goings on. Might just be tiredness kicking in but has anyone else seen the picture at the top of this reports that has Vichy Catalan on what appears to be one of the scoreboards. Anyone know why?

Yes, I’ve noticed that too and thought it a bit contradictory but all has now been explained.

rldfsignature.jpg

5 hours ago, westside said:

It’s a brand of mineral water. They sponsored the match.

38 minutes ago, barnyia said:

They sponsor the catalans, 

It does seem ironic that, doesn't it?

I know they are not that Vichy by the way.

and we won!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived