18 May: SL: Catalans Dragons v Wigan Warriors KO 3.30pm (UK Time) (TV)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/05/19 at 14:30

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Bloody hell Rupert you are very touchy aren't you, I was having a bit of fun, 7 people agreed and put the laugh symbol on the post, call it a bit of intertown rivalry if you like, it happens between Wigan and Leigh folk and not just regarding the rugby. 

Sorry to hear you are under financial restrictions, enjoy your holiday.

You are right I am touchy!  ?  I am in fact looking forward to my 5* holiday. My restrictions are less than many... but time and convenience is constrained.

But those there at the game will enjoy I am sure, which is the point.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Three of those were Saints and Warrington away and the WCC. In and amongst that were a string of injuries. 

The Challenge Cup was away to Warrington and a very close result worthy of the final and widely regarded as the best game of the season so far (bar the WCC?).

Wigan have had regular runs of bad results under Wane.  Usually coinciding with injuries.  As an example under Cas we see a string of poor results. But their coach is long established.

It will take an inventive coach and some big signings to make much of a dent in Lams so far average record. No matter what plans you have, there are as Macmillan said "events dear boy, events".

Well, he has none of the excuses he has hidden behind tomorrow. Either he can win difficult games or he should go. We shall see tomorrow. He has won no hard games at all so far. 

32 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Well, he has none of the excuses he has hidden behind tomorrow. Either he can win difficult games or he should go. We shall see tomorrow. He has won no hard games at all so far. 

I think it will be a difficult game for Wigan because of the occasion. Catalan ought to be up for it and so should the local crowd...  the name "Catalan" ought to gee them up.   Of course this might mitigate against them possibly with the likely emotion of it all. 

Wigans past "trail blazing" record of games at Paris and South if France and indeed places like Fulham are not brilliant. The wider marketing value and the name recognition for Wigan may be  important irrespective of the result however. 

If Wigan players actually focus and remember not to drop the ball for a change then it ought to be a good game and have a shout.  It would be daft to think of this particular game as a referendum on Lam though.

17 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

How will Catalans arrange their halves with Tomkins and Smith out?

I would think that Gigot will partner Langi in the halves, with Mead going to full back and Whitley going  to the centres with WIlliame. Yaha and Tierney on the wings.

Any other move -- like the failed experiment of having Greg Bird at No 6, will lose Catalans the game for sure.

Moving Gigot from FB, is a interesting one. He's proven very effective there as runs those nice lines in support of the ball carrier, however given the absence of Sam Tomkins, it does pose a big question of how to best balance out the team, and who to play. 

Mead at FB, makes sense. I would consider Romano ahead of Tierney though. Bird can do a job at HB too IMO, so I would consider Bird and Gigot and keep Langi in the Centres as he has played very well there this season. Bird is a reasonable HB no worse than Langi I feel. 

Albert sadly doesn't seem ready for HB role in a game of this magnitude and Smith seems past it at this level. 

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

I think it will be a difficult game for Wigan because of the occasion. Catalan ought to be up for it and so should the local crowd...  the name "Catalan" ought to gee them up.   Of course this might mitigate against them possibly with the likely emotion of it all. 

Wigans past "trail blazing" record of games at Paris and South if France and indeed places like Fulham are not brilliant. The wider marketing value and the name recognition for Wigan may be  important irrespective of the result however. 

If Wigan players actually focus and remember not to drop the ball for a change then it ought to be a good game and have a shout.  It would be daft to think of this particular game as a referendum on Lam though.

It is not daft at all. He has a pretty much full side, and, according to some we played well in defeat (which is clearly not well enough) last week. I can’t sack him, but if we lose tomorrow that will be more than enough evidence for me that he can’t coach a winning side against teams we should be beating. 

Wigan have knack of knowing when to lose games for the good of the game. They are invited to be the first for the name. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The Occasion, the Pride & Passion will be worth a couple of extra points. Predict an epic match - Catalans Dragons edge it by 6

Hope, for Wigan's sake, that the Dragons will have had their lunch before the match ! ??

??

IMG_9110.JPG

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Catalans anthem is a bit totalitarian dictatorshipy lol 

Orwellian, as in 'Homage to Catalonia' versus 'The Road to Wigan Pier'?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wigan's long passes are erratic. Kills the momentum even if they retain possession.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived