Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marklaspalmas

Barcelona TRL Meet Up

20 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Who's going? Not sure if a TRL meet up is feasible or not.

Anyway, if you see two tall blokes in traditional Fev shirts talking in Spanish, say hi to the grey-haired one.

MLP.

Why? Who is it?

• Haha 3

rldfsignature.jpg

On Las Ramblas, at the end away from the beach, just past McD's is an Aussie bar, maybe RL fans may feel welcome there.

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

Behind the Liceu Opera House is a very good Irish bar, called the Tall Man, great pint of Guinness

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Behind the Liceu Opera House is a very good Irish bar, called the Tall Man, great pint of Guinness

Is there anywhere in the western world that doesn’t have an Irish bar?

rldfsignature.jpg

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Who's going? Not sure if a TRL meet up is feasible or not.

Anyway, if you see two tall blokes in traditional Fev shirts talking in Spanish, say hi to the grey-haired one.

MLP.

Ooh, humblebrag.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Well I’ll be wearing my Skolars top. I’m not expecting any one else in Barcelona to be wearing the same so if you see the top - it’s me!

i have a bit of an allergy to things like Irish bars outside of Ireland. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

The mate I'm going with doesn't speak English.

But he’s wearing a Featherstone shirt?   So from Featherstone?   I guess it’s a form of the English language though? 😁

Edited by Cheshire Setter

4 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

But he’s wearing a Featherstone shirt?   So from Featherstone?   I guess it’s a form of the English language though? 😁

According to our club rules, it's not necessary to be from Featherstone to wear a Fev shirt.....

HTH 😉

• Like 1

Just now, marklaspalmas said:

According to our club rules, it's not necessary to be from Featherstone to wear a Fev shirt.....

HTH 😉

Seriously though, fair play to getting a Spanish national into RL.   Especially Championship RL! 👍

• Thanks 1

Still undecided whether to don my York shirt or Catalan shirt, I'm guessing I might not stand out in my Catalan one though 🤔. Might just go for a Lokos one to totally confuse any rugby fans!

Edited by Yorkie44

18 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Seriously though, fair play to getting a Spanish national into RL.   Especially Championship RL! 👍

All RL fans have to spread the faith. There aren't enough of us. Catalans v Wigan is a few notches down from watching Fev, but he'll manage.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

The mate I'm going with doesn't speak English.

He's from Featherstone then?

• Haha 4

Cafe Zurich on Placa Catalunya is a good place. Plenty of seats inside and out and also room to stand.

Also Glacier on Placa Reial.

Any bar really apart from plastic Irish bars!!

• Like 1

We're just playing it by ear. We land at half 9 in the morning. There is a group on facebook recommending places but predictably it's mostly Irish/English bars which I'll be avoiding like the plague.

• Like 3

While all the focus will be on how big the crowd is in Barcelona, keep an eye on everyone else's crowds this weekend.

Events like this generate publicity, which is of course great. But they also affect footfall everywhere else. My local RU club was down over 50% on attendance and takings when Newcastle Falcons took their game to St James' Park. How will the Summer Bash be hit. Mmmm, Barcelona or Blackpool?

Hope I am wrong.

Is there a plethora of English bars in Ireland? Ones where it is not obligatory to drink foul tasting black beer, and where you don't go for the craic, just for Crack? Where sitting there looking miserable is compulsory and no-one will talk to you until you open a newspaper or book. Then just as you get used to it, it closes down without warning, usually just after you've paid for another overly expensive round that needed a mortgage advisor to negotiate payments. Pubs where you get looked at strangely if you have an Irish accent, like English do in Irish bars in England, and no one talks about horse racing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, andyscoot said:

We're just playing it by ear. We land at half 9 in the morning. There is a group on facebook recommending places but predictably it's mostly Irish/English bars which I'll be avoiding like the plague.

Yes, always a bit depressing when you ask someone if they enjoyed the Catalan trip and they reply: "Yes, amazing. We spent the week on 2-for-1 cocktails watching Sky Sports at Kev's Beach Bar."

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.