Eurovision Song Contest

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • John Drake changed the title to Eurovision Song Contest

Yes, I'll watch it.

No, I won't be sober.

Yes, I'll probably laugh like a drain, especially when the inevitable, shameless and blindingly obvious copy of the previous year's winner scores even less than the UK.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

34 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Is there the world paint drying championships on the other side cos if there is I'll be watching that instead.

I watched that last year but the judging was so political I switched off 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Is there the world paint drying championships on the other side cos if there is I'll be watching that instead.

go on then, I'll head it in

image.png.c014425ca53b29b2183bdcf8f8761234.png

1 Cyprus 16/20 Good Poppy Song

2 Montenegro 12 Poor execution

3 Finland 11 Wannabe DJ

4 Poland 15 I quite enjoyed the ethic costumes

5 Slovenia 8 Dreadfully turgid, stop staring at each other.

6 Czech Rep 12 Good Catchy Pop Song

7 Hungary 14 Strong Ballad

8 Belarus 14 Good Pop song, interesting dancing

9 Serbia 12 Good Vocals

10 Belgium 10 very wooden performance

11 Georgia 10 Bit too remeniscant of Game of Thrones (Which I hate)

12 Australia 14 Strong song, good visuals

13 Iceland 8 Oh, Please, no. Although the Scandi's and Baltics will go for it

14 Estonia 16 Good pop song

15 Portugal 11 Hate the plastic beard, song was too slow & downbeat

16 Greece 12 Someones eyes out with the swords, poor song

17 San Marino 11  Doctors orders na na na, should examine his voice

to go through...

1, 3, 4, 6. 7, 8, 9, 12, 14 & 16.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I watched that last year but the judging was so political I switched off 

It's always been political. Thank goodness most of it is anti-UK, as we can't afford to host it. That's why we consistently produce poor songs.

The method for choosing our song was two versions of 4 different songs and the alternate to the winner was much better, and would've had a chance.

the Finalists from Tuesdays semi final are...

Cyprus, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Belarus, Serbia, Australia, Iceland, Estonia, Greece & San Marino

If San Marino win, it could bankrupt the San Marino TV, assuming they have one, and not being sponsored by Italian TV

Cyprus up first, setting the bar high by singing in tune at least half the time. Otherwise, forgettable. 

Montenegro: Hopkirk (deceased), Hopkirk (deceased), Hopkirk (deceased), Hopkirk (deceased), Hopkirk (deceased) & Hopkirk (deceased), and they sound like it too. 

Finland: The first sighting of interpretative dance. Sink one drink. Singer = Guy Fieri without the bleach. 

Poland: shrill, but different at least. 

Slovenia: like the staring contest from 'Big Train', only with more simpering. Definitely cult members. 

Czech Republic: needy. Three Andrew Ridgeleys. 

Hungary: man-bun alert! Sink another drink. And an image of Eamonn Holmes is projected onto the backdrop. 

Belarus: is this the Cyprus singer going for a sneaky double? 

Serbia: the first proper ballgown'n'angst entry. 

And here come the Belgians! Probably breaking the child labour laws with this infant entry, too. A song delivered with all the youthful energy and buzz of a Theresa May speech. 

Georgia: he looks like the bloke from the office downstairs from where I work, which I'll admit is a niche observation. But he really really does! 

The Convict entry: aka the Statue of taking serious Liberties with my ###### patience. He-he-he-he, ha-ha-ha-ha, cod-opera. Simeon Stylites meets Lesley bloody Garrett. 

Mum's gone to Iceland: Shouty Fat Goths ahoy! Blond mullet, gimp drummer, Hate will prevail, what's not to like? 

Estonia: first sighting of unshaven, ingratiating, singer-songwritery type. Sink another drink. 

Portugal: Jobriath's let himself go. And so has Tinkerbell. 

Beware of Greeks bearing Eurovision entries: singing from the back of her adenoids, and with edged weapons on stage, this could be a tragedy that even Cassandra would balk at predicting. 

San Marino: he'll never get past Des Walker. I want this guy to be the next Bond villain. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Halifax v Bradford Bulls in the Summer Bash is on Sky Sports, kicks off at exactly the same time as Eurovision starts on Saturday night.

Whoever organised that is off my Christmas card list! :kolobok_angry2:

I love Eurovision, but I must admit, I struggled to maintain interest in last night's semi-final for some reason. The presentation just felt a bit flat, the stage set was boring and looked a long way back from the main crowd, who didn't seem all that up for it either.

The vocals, yikes, almost uniformly dreadful right from the get go. I've heard some of these songs in their recorded versions and they're unrecognisable, mostly quite reasonable compared to how they sounded live. The power of production over talent.

Of the ones that stood out at all, it was mainly due to a wacky performance. 

Iceland, sounds horrendous but, well, it'll frighten the grannies on Saturday night.

Australia, ear-piercingly awful song, probably the first ever entry of theirs I've genuinely hated, but they've upped the ante by putting the singer on a wavy stick. Possibly a bit too 'knowing' of Eurovision wackiness to benefit in the overall voting though?

Portugal, I have no idea what was supposed to be going on there. The weirdest Eurovision performance for quite a few years. Terrible song though, glad I won't have to hear it again.

Poland, oh my word. Three minutes of high-pitched shrieking, but the costumes were nice and colourful.

Greece. Ye gods, that woman's voice was painful, like nothing I've ever heard before (or would want to hear again). Is this really one of the favourites? I hated it.

The Slovenians were unintentionally frightening and also memorable for being the most boring song and performance of the night, how it got through, I've no idea. I'm still waiting for the chorus... is there one???

I thought Belgium had the makings of a decent song in there somewhere, but they killed it by having a timid schoolboy mumbling his way through it, looking absolutely terrified throughout. Maybe he'd seen the Slovenian entry and was in fear of being kidnapped by their cult.

San Marino. Leonard Cohen goes disco. It's awful, but I liked it. So Na Na Na!! ?

The only one I could genuinely remember and still hum the chorus today was the Czech Republic one. They were a bit cartoon-y, their performance looked like a skit from an episode of The Monkees (that's not a criticism, btw).

The others mostly I'd forgotten before they stopped singing.

Hope the second semi-final is where all the good stuff is.

Ok, semi final 2

Armenia, very angry about something. 14/20

Ireland, More style than substance, singer has a had a humour removal 10/20

Moldova, Good song, not sure about the salt drawings 15/20

Switzerland, Strong song 17/20

Latvia, Generic Euro pap 12

Romania, Wooden performance, poor song, prob qualify on Eastern Europe Vote 12/20

Denmark, Looked scared, showed in voice until last 1/3, sorry Bob8 13/20

Sweden, should've introduced backing singers earlier 14/20

Austria, awful 9/20

Croatia, partly in Croatian, LGBT crowd will love this 12/20

Malta, Great song, but Charma Chameleon, where have we heard that before 15/20

Lithuania, Run With Lion? I hope not with the season we're having, very average 10/20

Russia, Will qualify by fixing vote, good song though 16/20

Albania, will get Balkan vote, difficult Albanian language 12/20

Norway, excellent song, could win 18/20

Netherlands, Supposed to be favourite, I don't think so, needs more than a glitter ball 15/20

North Macedonia, Powerful message & song, again Balkan vote, 15/20

Azerbaijan, Peter Crouch take note, that's a Robotic Dance 14/20

My 10 to qualify, Russia, Netherlands, Macedonia, Malta, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, Moldova, Latvia & Azerbaijan

Archived