Eurovision Song Contest

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

Good article that just about sums up the UK's problems with regard to Eurovision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48334089

This is actually a very fair analysis touching on some things we've mentioned on here. 

Brexit and the Iraq wars etc obviously don't help but they mask the real reasons we're not doing well. After all, it was held in Israel this year: they're hardly everybody's favourite. Also, Ireland have really struggled over a similar time period and they're very well liked abroad.

Not needing to qualify is a problem too amd has maybe prevented us from really treating it seriously. Imagine if we were automatically in the Football WC, we'd probably do even worse! 

The main one for me is that we always seem to be behind the curve. We either have a safe ballad, an aging crooner or a gimmick that doesn't work. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

This is actually a very fair analysis touching on some things we've mentioned on here. 

Brexit and the Iraq wars etc obviously don't help but they mask the real reasons we're not doing well. After all, it was held in Israel this year: they're hardly everybody's favourite. Also, Ireland have really struggled over a similar time period and they're very well liked abroad.

Not needing to qualify is a problem too amd has maybe prevented us from really treating it seriously. Imagine if we were automatically in the Football WC, we'd probably do even worse! 

The main one for me is that we always seem to be behind the curve. We either have a safe ballad, an aging crooner or a gimmick that doesn't work. 

Someone pointed out that Russia does well across Europe as well, not just in the countries with which it has a 'close' relationship. And Russia isn't very popular at all. But it does usually put up a good song.

There's obviously a danger in taking it all too seriously but I half watched the show this year - I can't claim more than that - and even I noticed the energy drop from the stage when the British entry started. We're coming up with excuses to cover up the fact that Britain just doesn't send particularly good songs. Can anyone genuinely remember our entries this decade?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

We're coming up with excuses to cover up the fact that Britain just doesn't send particularly good songs. Can anyone genuinely remember our entries this decade?

I'm sure Wikipedia can help, do you want the page John?

22 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I'm sure you will remember Englebert Humperdink (1970's) or Bonny Tyler (2 Hits in Leather)

These epitomise the absolute worst of British selection. 

Two particularly bad ones were 'children of the universe,' sung by some posh doll who was about as average a singer as you can imagine and the 1920s spoof that was just embarrassing. 

When thinking about what exactly it is that we do so badly, I think the Russian example is a good one. Even though he didn't win, it was memorable and they'd come up with an interesting staging situation with the mirrors.

When have we ever tried anything ambitious like that? Ours are always just someone singing a pretty meaningless song with a video at the back. 

Archived