Toulouse Olympique Update

S%C3%A9ance-dentra%C3%AEnement-commune-t

Toulouse Olympique and Stade Toulousain had a joined-up training session last week at Stade Ernest Wallon.

Both sides had had a blank weekend.

ST top dog in Top 14 this year with eleven players in the French World Cup squad.

The same ground where TOXIII played against Toronto Wolfpack earlier in the season.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

I've heard it's a done deal for TO to play at Stade Ernest Wallon next season. Even heard a rumour on the French forums that Stade Toulousain wants TO to take on their branding. 

I don't think it'd be a bad thing for them to take on their branding. I assume that could come with increased sponsor revenue etc. and being associated with a successful team could be beneficial if managed well, possible cross-code marketing etc.

4 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

I don't think it'd be a bad thing for them to take on their branding. I assume that could come with increased sponsor revenue etc. and being associated with a successful team could be beneficial if managed well, possible cross-code marketing etc.

One word: Harlequins.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

18 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

Please no. Toulouse Olympique have been going for nearly 100 years and can get bums on seats without using the Stade Toulousain name. 

It’s notable that Stade Toulousain’s marketing is handled by a company called Infront. They are also behind a very controversial World League proposal in rugby union. Their President happens to be Sepp Blatter’s nephew. To say that people are suspicious of them would be an understatement.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/stade-toulousain-appoint-infront-sports-and-media

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I bet Stade Toulouse learned a lot from that session 

TO played 20min continuous attack in sets of 4 tackles and scored nearly every set. ST didn’t score once & gave up after 10min.

It was played 13 v 13 on full field. ST had only backs & 1 flanker while TO fielded a match day side.

I'm not much for cross-code stuff, but it shows how far TO have come that they are respected enough to do this. When I visited Toulouse 8-9 years ago you could hardly find a trace of them.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

40 minutes ago, dunno much said:

TO played 20min continuous attack in sets of 4 tackles and scored nearly every set. ST didn’t score once & gave up after 10min.

It was played 13 v 13 on full field. ST had only backs & 1 flanker while TO fielded a match day side.

Probably no surprise really though....with a few contested scrums/live rucks chucked in the opposite would be true....very different sports with TGG the better of course

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I'm not much for cross-code stuff, but it shows how far TO have come that they are respected enough to do this. When I visited Toulouse 8-9 years ago you could hardly find a trace of them.

Nice to see....they obviously love rugby so why not build on the core support for union in the town....very encouraging !

1 hour ago, dunno much said:

So they play RL and the RL team are superior.. hardly shock horror.

if they switched it to union rules the reverse would happen

It's like the old cross code games from 20 years ago...

7 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Exactly. But I’d fancy Saints, say, to win the Middlesex Sevens as Wigan & Bradford did if there was still such a thing...

10 hours ago, Just Browny said:

This is the important thing and a real positive.

On the negative side I wonder if TO are looking at Toronto, the other wealthy NA clubs preparing to enter the leagues and the one promotion spot and thinking they might need this partnership to be financially secure enough to survive a few more seasons in the Championship?

19 hours ago, overtheborder said:

it would be absolutely disastrous.  Ok share their stadium by all means but stay well clear of any merger with a union side for god's sake.

9 hours ago, damp squib said:

This is the important thing and a real positive.

On the negative side I wonder if TO are looking at Toronto, the other wealthy NA clubs preparing to enter the leagues and the one promotion spot and thinking they might need this partnership to be financially secure enough to survive a few more seasons in the Championship?

I think TO are doing pretty well tbh and will have the advantage over any NA side of a decent player pool in the South of France for the bulk of their talent. 

Their costs will be much less than a Canadian or American outfit. 

I don't get the impression they are spending beyond their means in a quest for SL. The squad is better then it was when it was in Elite 1 however its not like they went and brought in 5 players with 50 NRL games each. TO will be fine I feel regardless of if they reach SL. 

As for taking on branding of ST I agree with the others on here that its not a good idea at all. 

Both clubs in their sports have good brands. Mutual respect is good and using the same ground too, however leave it at that. 

On 16/05/2019 at 15:07, Southerner said:

Why am I always sceptical when Union befriend RL !! 

I can't imagine, is it because the thread might be locked or disappear at a moments notice?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 16/05/2019 at 22:35, yipyee said:

Yes it would, but for very different reasons.

Yes and just about as interesting.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived