Good luck (Hornets)for the Blackpool Bash

glemiln

They do not come more important than this one.

Quite a few interesting changes from the York game, including the 2 new arrivals, but without Sheridan and Mitchell and with different DR's.

Look forward to seeing and hearing the faithful on Telly - the new shirts should stand out and hopefully a victory parade down the seafront!

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Excolt 1 said:

It seems Wigan follows the first game so are Hornets on the red button? 

Yep. It looks like a full replay of the game on Sky Arena at 10pm, after Halifax v Bradford......if anyone wants to record.

A 40-30 loss having been up 24-10 at ht and then 30-14 before a 26 point capitulation to a rampant Swinton.  Couldn't view it as Sky switched the tie to its "red button"; we seemed to have effort but made too many basic errors -18 points lost at least to dropped balls and a 90m interception.  Need to close out matches with the lead we had.   Matt's got his hands full for sure!  No doubt a good game for the viewers and Swinton, of course.  Well done to them for that comeback.

Embarrassing second half.

By far the better team in the first half (obviously). Whatever was said at halftime was clearly the wrong approach as we seem to come out flat and got rolled all second half. Thought Marriott stepped up very well, was arguably our best forward!! Gleeson looks off the pace when he came on!

1 hour ago, RLfan99 said:

Embarrassing second half.

By far the better team in the first half (obviously). Whatever was said at halftime was clearly the wrong approach as we seem to come out flat and got rolled all second half. Thought Marriott stepped up very well, was arguably our best forward!! Gleeson looks off the pace when he came on!

Remember Fozzy looked off the pace full stop and has now gone back to his level L1

This season I have watched Hornets at Salford and Swinton. Ignoring the Salford game the team had no direction and communication between the players was woeful. Nobody bothered to communicate a 4 on 2 to the inside defenders. 

Watching the game on Sky Hornets looked good in first half taking good options and aggresive in defense. Second half team looked off the pace and lacked fitness. This can only be solved by hard work and willingness by the players, which I am sure will come.

At least the structure is starting to show., this maybe too late for this year but bodes well for future. 

This is the first time I have seen Hornets play live for a number of years but as I live just outside Blackpool I thought I would pop along to the Summer Bash and see how they would get on under Matt's stewardship. I have to say I was impressed. Although they ran out of steam in the second half, which is understandable given there are so many new players, there was enough in that first half to show they are on the up. The pride and passion in the shirt was obvious as was the commitment and intensity. I thought certain things went against them in terms of the rub of the green but give it a few weeks when fitness levels and understanding of each others play has improved and I think they will string a few wins together. Finally, a word about the fans who turned out in good numbers and sang their hearts out - it was nice to hear the "Hornets" chant again - well done. Good luck for the rest of the season. Paul

Well that was a real game of two halves. We got off to our usual trick of letting our opponents score first but once we'd done that we got going and played pretty welll. Both teams made plenty of errors but we made less than Swinton and we capitalised on some of their errors. Having said that how we managed to blow a walk in try 3 on 1 situation is still a mystery. 

It was obvious to me that Swinton were unlikely to play that badly again so we needed to be prepared for a real arm wrestle for the first 10 or 15 minutes or so of the second half. As it was we came out as flat as a pancake and allowed Swinton score a soft try  in their first set of six.

Swinton got on a roll after that and we were largely starved of the ball. They kept getting to the kick and putting us under pressure. They also kept adding to the score. We did eventually get a get a good converted try out on the right. At the point Swinton were getting rattled. Arguing with the ref and getting narky in the tackle. It was a result of narkiness in the tackle that led to the next try. Our right winger was running the ball out on the wing. He was tackled by a Swinton player who was all over him like a cheap suit. Instead of waiting to play the ball our guy pushed the Swinton player away. Result - penalty to Swinton leading to another try. Dumb rugby to get penalised when you're in possession of the ball !

Swinton got on top and on one of our few break outs Harvey Livett threw a huge interception pass the Swinton right winger gratefully gobbled up for a canter Under the posts. Game over. Harvey had been our best player in the first half but in the second throwing out that pass was the only thing I saw him do. Maybe he was injured.

We made plenty of mistakes in the second half. Dec Kay attempting a one handed pick up in our own 25 and as a result passing the ball to a Swinton player for him to amble in for a six pointer was probably the worst.

After the interception try there was just 3 minutes left for Dec Gregory to come on. Why have 4 subs and only play 3 ? Strange decision.

Callum Marriott didn't look out of place until he got a bang on the head. Aidy Gleason wasn't on long enough for me to form an opinion. Scott Moore was outstanding for us.

We won the first half today and the second half last week lets see if we can play a full game soon. At the moment we're paying the price of the six wasted months.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well that was a real game of two halves. We got off to our usual trick of letting our opponents score first but once we'd done that we got going and played pretty welll. Both teams made plenty of errors but we made less than Swinton and we capitalised on some of their errors. Having said that how we managed to blow a walk in try 3 on 1 situation is still a mystery. 

It was obvious to me that Swinton were unlikely to play that badly again so we needed to be prepared for a real arm wrestle for the first 10 or 15 minutes or so of the second half. As it was we came out as flat as a pancake and allowed Swinton score a soft try  in their first set of six.

Swinton got on a roll after that and we were largely starved of the ball. They kept getting to the kick and putting us under pressure. They also kept adding to the score. We did eventually get a get a good converted try out on the right. At the point Swinton were getting rattled. Arguing with the ref and getting narky in the tackle. It was a result of narkiness in the tackle that led to the next try. Our right winger was running the ball out on the wing. He was tackled by a Swinton player who was all over him like a cheap suit. Instead of waiting to play the ball our guy pushed the Swinton player away. Result - penalty to Swinton leading to another try. Dumb rugby to get penalised when you're in possession of the ball !

Swinton got on top and on one of our few break outs Harvey Livett threw a huge interception pass the Swinton right winger gratefully gobbled up for a canter Under the posts. Game over. Harvey had been our best player in the first half but in the second throwing out that pass was the only thing I saw him do. Maybe he was injured.

We made plenty of mistakes in the second half. Dec Kay attempting a one handed pick up in our own 25 and as a result passing the ball to a Swinton player for him to amble in for a six pointer was probably the worst.

After the interception try there was just 3 minutes left for Dec Gregory to come on. Why have 4 subs and only play 3 ? Strange decision.

Callum Marriott didn't look out of place until he got a bang on the head. Aidy Gleason wasn't on long enough for me to form an opinion. Scott Moore was outstanding for us.

We won the first half today and the second half last week lets see if we can play a full game soon. At the moment we're paying the price of the six wasted months.

Thought Marriott was brilliant! 

Agreed very strange regarding the subs, sure I seen that we only used 4/5 out of the 8. Criminal when we ran out of steam.

8 minutes ago, RLfan99 said:

Thought Marriott was brilliant! 

Agreed very strange regarding the subs, sure I seen that we only used 4/5 out of the 8. Criminal when we ran out of steam.

Tough scenario isn’t it Stuart? The club is now trying to be what it could have been before you started meddling 

5 minutes ago, Gavinr said:

Harvey - the one who instigated the debacle that was the last coach 

??? I’m gonna take that as a insult.

i appreciate your very close with Matt and you believe you know a lot Gavin but I’m actually a volunteer at the club and I give up my own time to help for nothing. So if I’d like to voice my opinion then so be it. I have all the faith in Matt but you really need to stop being so defensive when it comes to your friend. We all want the same thing in the end.

Just watched the game on Fox in Australia. It looked to me that the majority of Hornets players are overweight and would eventually run out of steam which is exactly what happened. Swinton were average,but they were fit and that`s why they won,they played the whole eighty minutes. Hornets discipline disappeared in the second half when they were well in front,a lack of composure when under pressure,frustration due to poor fitness levels. Matt Calland`s got a hell of a job to turn this lot into a winning team,the Hornets player who had a bite of a chocolate bar summed them up. Sorry,but that was garbage.

6 hours ago, DiddyDave said:

the Hornets player who had a bite of a chocolate bar summed them up. Sorry,but that was garbage.

I believe it was a 'Soreen' bar, in line with the sponsors of the kit! ????

All in all, I though the first half, we played well. Then the second half, the level of fitness shown. I do believe the last two games, we have made a definite improvement. However, I agree with most, there's such a long way too go. 

Brandon Wood, Callum Marriott, Harvey Livett, Scott Moore all played well. 

Centres.. not sure what's going on there. 

Dec Gregory for 3 minutes? Again, not sure what's going on there. 

10 hours ago, DiddyDave said:

Just watched the game on Fox in Australia. It looked to me that the majority of Hornets players are overweight and would eventually run out of steam which is exactly what happened. Swinton were average,but they were fit and that`s why they won,they played the whole eighty minutes. Hornets discipline disappeared in the second half when they were well in front,a lack of composure when under pressure,frustration due to poor fitness levels. Matt Calland`s got a hell of a job to turn this lot into a winning team,the Hornets player who had a bite of a chocolate bar summed them up. Sorry,but that was garbage.

I agree about fitness levels, upper body strength, discipline etc. That's what happens when the pre season was amateurish and training was not taken seriously. Wether we've enough time to put this right is difficult to say. I'm sure Matt is aware of all this and he'll do his best to get us up to where the other teams are.

I watched the Toronto game and they looked awesome, the ball never stopped moving and they ran Toulouse ragged. They won in a canter and Toulouse would win in a canter against us. It's not even nearly a level playing field.

You have to give Matt time and I'm sure he will do it.

I remember years ago there was a certain Scotts man at Manure Shited who was on his last game to turn things around.

He certainly did that and and in over 20 years. turned out to be probably one of the best in the game managing one of the best teams in the league

Archived