Speediest speedster in RL

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18/05/2019 at 12:56, Just Browny said:

I think Austin is the quickest at Warrington.

He’s been timed quickest over 30m according to Price in pre-season.   Over the full field length I’d put Mamo top based on what I’ve seen.   The game against Hudds last season he burned everyone for pace, three times I think.

7 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

drugged up Dwain Chambers you mean, Ken Irvine was officially the fastest man to play RL professionally, 9.3 for the 100 yards, which is the distance professional sprinters ran BITD. That's equivalent to 10.07 for the 100m, bearing in mind that he wasn't running on a modern track, modern spikes he'd easily be the equivalent of a 9.9 100m runner.

No, it wasn't Ken Irvine, he was beaten in a specially arranged race with a A$2,000 prize by South Sydney's Michael Cleary, former Commonwealth Games bronze medallist. Cleary was also an Aussie international who toured over here in 1963. In 1966 he won the Australian professional 130m sprint race. Irvine was a better winger though.

Dwain Chambers never got offered a contract with Castleford because he couldn't catch the ball.

9 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Dwain Chambers never got offered a contract with Castleford because he couldn't catch the ball.

Insert joke about current player of your choice here... ? 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

No, it wasn't Ken Irvine, he was beaten in a specially arranged race with a A$2,000 prize by South Sydney's Michael Cleary, former Commonwealth Games bronze medallist. Cleary was also an Aussie international who toured over here in 1963. In 1966 he won the Australian professional 130m sprint race. Irvine was a better winger though.

Ken Irvine was officially the previous (co) world record holder over 100 yards, Cleary wasn't and despite the sometime claim that he ran a 9.3 there is no official source for this. Irvine couldn't run in the '62 games as he wasn't an amateur.

Scott Moore was once clocked at 150mph. Beat that. ? 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 18:03, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Pretty sure this was a thing, well a running competition with players in full kit and boots, holding a ball. I seem to remember Darren Albert entering as Saints’ participant. No idea who won it. 

Think that was an all codes race in oz.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Ken Irvine was officially the previous (co) world record holder over 100 yards, Cleary wasn't and despite the sometime claim that he ran a 9.3 there is no official source for this. Irvine couldn't run in the '62 games as he wasn't an amateur.

Irvine was the professional record holder, Bob Hayes was the overall world record holder in 1962 with 9.1 seconds. Cleary retained his amateur status in his early Rugby League career after switching from Union ( 8 international caps) so he never raced Irvine until he turned pro, but he did beat him when they eventually met.

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 21:32, Steve Slater said:

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 07:21, Futtocks said:

Insert joke about current player of your choice here... ? 

I'm sure we would all insert the same Cas player.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

At Warrington I remember Mateaki Mafi who spent the centenary season with us after signing from the 1995 World Cup.

He raced against Linford Christie in 100m the 92 Olympics.   Very fast but pretty useless at some other basics.   I do remember being out in town one evening when I was about 17/18 and knocking into this girl who I’d been at school with.   She’d been dating Mafi, and caught him out in town with another girl.   That was the fastest I’d seen him run.   To be fair she was pretty quick too for a big girl ?

I'm surprised no Leeds Rhinos fan has mentioned Alf Meakin, another British Olympic sprinter who either played for them or was having trials in the early part of the 1964-65 season? He wasn't retained however, and Leeds' attempt to emulate Wakefield's success in the signing of Berwyn Jones was an abject failure.

Johnstone and MCB are easily two of the fastest as are IMO Makinson and Charnly even when compared to Dixon. Doesn't matter how quickly he gets from A to B because the others will always get the ball in better positions and will always finish far more ofton than he does.

Speed on the wing is relative to ability as shown by Dwayne Chambers. If you have not got the skills your pace is useless as has so ofton been the case with Dixon.

As an ex sprinter and part time RL player in my youth I can tell you that my pace which was usually vastly superior to my opponants was never the deciding factor. The amount of times I was ever in the right place, took the ball well, went for it and finished were rare and my pace never improved that statistic.

Johnstone is my fave SL winger partly because he plays for my team but mainly because he is so reliable, I reckon he makes 80-90% of his chances into points or catches or tackles, Dixon is nowhere near that.

46 minutes ago, Allora said:

He was very fast and a very strong runner.

Best I watched regularly on game day.

The big question about Grothe is, how much faster could he have been if he cut his hair and shaved his beard ??

Those highlights are very telling as apart from obvious pace, Grothe was able to time his run on to the pass from his centre to perfection.   He seems to come from deep every time and hit the ball at 100mph so he’s already done the acceleration bit and got a head start on his opposite number.   No flat passes in those days! 

3 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

At Warrington I remember Mateaki Mafi who spent the centenary season with us after signing from the 1995 World Cup.

He raced against Linford Christie in 100m the 92 Olympics.   Very fast but pretty useless at some other basics.   I do remember being out in town one evening when I was about 17/18 and knocking into this girl who I’d been at school with.   She’d been dating Mafi, and caught him out in town with another girl.   That was the fastest I’d seen him run.   To be fair she was pretty quick too for a big girl ?

Check him out now! ?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/former-rugby-star-olympic-sprinter-11207498

5 hours ago, Allora said:

He was very fast and a very strong runner.

Best I watched regularly on game day.

Certainly my favorite winger to watch, saw him playing for Leeds for half a season around '85 I believe and while I was out in Australia, he didn't bother moving inside, just headed straight down the touchline and bounced off anybody who foolishly came across to tackle him! Nicknamed 'Rolling Thunder' as that was what the opposing winger heard as he chased him down as a Oldham winger found out at the Watersheddings when Leeds played there, I wonder if they dug him out of the ground before they constructed the houses there!!!!!

On 19/05/2019 at 09:50, Harry Stottle said:

For those who remember there was a monetary prize race run for by professional athletes i.e.those who got paid for playing sport, olympians in those times were not allowed they had to maintain their amatuer status, it was called the Powderhall and was a handicap race over 110 yards run at Musselburgh Racecourse in Scotland on New Years Day, my dad and grandad used to relate to me which RL players took part and how fast they were, the passing of time has somewhat clouded my memory, can anyone fill in the blanks.

From what I recall Mike Murray the Barrow winger won the Powderhall  in the 60s. He is still supporting now. Could probably get a game this year.

Hetherington on the way to the bank with the takings is pretty fast

Ferris on his way home late at night is extremely fast

Crabtree had a turn of speed whenever he saw a Barbers

Alex Murphy when looking for a mirror - v quick

The Wigan Directors when they lost in 98 in the Cup to Salford, scorch marks all over the stand seats

On 21/05/2019 at 09:27, ivans82 said:

Would take Offiah against anyone , could outspeed any player without going flat out .

Not totally correct imo, I saw numerous players catch Offiah including David Jones at Wakefield. Offiah was extremely quick without doubt but what made him a yard quicker than everyone else was that he was a terrific support player who was always in the right place and I mean always. That was what made him so fast, fast legs and a fast mind, brilliant combination.

3 hours ago, John Boriston said:

Hetherington on the way to the bank with the takings is pretty fast

Ferris on his way home late at night is extremely fast

Crabtree had a turn of speed whenever he saw a Barbers

Alex Murphy when looking for a mirror - v quick

The Wigan Directors when they lost in 98 in the Cup to Salford, scorch marks all over the stand seats

What about big 'Nige on the way to the pie shop, you wouldn't want to get in his way would you!!!!!?

Archived