Speediest speedster in RL

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 13:44, Cheshire Setter said:

The big question about Grothe is, how much faster could he have been if he cut his hair and shaved his beard ??

Those highlights are very telling as apart from obvious pace, Grothe was able to time his run on to the pass from his centre to perfection.   He seems to come from deep every time and hit the ball at 100mph so he’s already done the acceleration bit and got a head start on his opposite number.   No flat passes in those days! 

Great player

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Not totally correct imo, I saw numerous players catch Offiah including David Jones at Wakefield. Offiah was extremely quick without doubt but what made him a yard quicker than everyone else was that he was a terrific support player who was always in the right place and I mean always. That was what made him so fast, fast legs and a fast mind, brilliant combination.

I was at that game and Jones caught him because he had the chance to reach his top speed while Offiah was evading other defenders. Dave Jones wasn’t even near Offiah for raw speed and certainly not nearly as good a RL player

On 22/05/2019 at 20:32, OMEGA said:

I was at that game and Jones caught him because he had the chance to reach his top speed while Offiah was evading other defenders. Dave Jones wasn’t even near Offiah for raw speed and certainly not nearly as good a RL player

Were you really, well you weren’t watching properly. He actually got back turned and tackled him head in, he’ll of an achievement  why down play the lads achievement.

Well is course Jones was as good as Offiah, the record books confirm he was. That’s sarcasm by the way for stating the blooming obvious. He was however a match for him that day as a number of players were.

Offiah was the best winger of his generation but he wasn’t unstoppable.

On 23/05/2019 at 05:35, my missus said:

https://www.nrl.com/tv/news/match-highlights-storm-v-wests-tigers-880602/

this fella can shift.

ryan papanhousen(sp) clocked at 35.8 km/h fastest in nrl last week.

Ryan Papenhuyzen he is of Dutch descent. His pace looks looks like its off the charts.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

3 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Were you really, well you weren’t watching properly. He actually got back turned and tackled him head in, he’ll of an achievement  why down play the lads achievement.

Well is course Jones was as good as Offiah, the record books confirm he was. That’s sarcasm by the way for stating the blooming obvious. He was however a match for him that day as a number of players were.

Offiah was the best winger of his generation but he wasn’t unstoppable.

I’m not downplaying anyone but I don’t see why you want to pretend something happened when it didn’t, are you David Jones or maybe his mum?

Offiahs run was impeded by defenders while Jones had a clear line to chase back, simple as that. Jones was a decent wing for Trinity and had he ever learned to run at gaps instead of defenders his record would be much better.

The wearable tech used on players is not very precise for short bursts of speed or indeed anything over 20kph. The accuracy is probably nowhere near the decimal point values being quoted here so best bearing that in mind. It’s good press for the sport and had provoked great discussion here but the science is being a little overstated and is probably a guide only at these speeds. 

Incidentally I once trained with Jonathan Edwards and we used to use a radar system to measure speed. His peak speed at one point made him the fastest man in the world. Wow. He’d be way ahead of JAC and anyone else in the codes of rugby or football, as quick as they may be. Qualitatively Offiah at his Widnes peak gave the impression of being in the elite athlete category of sprinting although I’ve no evidence other than my eyes to back that up!

58 minutes ago, Mushy said:

The wearable tech used on players is not very precise for short bursts of speed or indeed anything over 20kph. The accuracy is probably nowhere near the decimal point values being quoted here so best bearing that in mind. It’s good press for the sport and had provoked great discussion here but the science is being a little overstated and is probably a guide only at these speeds. 

Incidentally I once trained with Jonathan Edwards and we used to use a radar system to measure speed. His peak speed at one point made him the fastest man in the world. Wow. He’d be way ahead of JAC and anyone else in the codes of rugby or football, as quick as they may be. Qualitatively Offiah at his Widnes peak gave the impression of being in the elite athlete category of sprinting although I’ve no evidence other than my eyes to back that up!

Are the figures quoted from the on field shirt devices?

I would have thought they were from training, time versus measured distance.

The NRL Clubs use two measures, 40 metre acceleration speed and 100 metre speed as a measure of players pace.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

5 hours ago, Allora said:

Are the figures quoted from the on field shirt devices?

I would have thought they were from training, time versus measured distance.

The NRL Clubs use two measures, 40 metre acceleration speed and 100 metre speed as a measure of players pace.

The figures in the articles claiming speeds of the players are from onfield devices in actual games - hence they aren’t that precise really.

My experience of rugby club training is that they either use stopwatches (even less accurate for short distances unless you’re a trained timekeeper) or electronic timing gates which have much better precision. 

Loads of rugby players have claimed to have 100m pbs sub 11 seconds whilst at school. If they were actually that quick they’d have electronic times to the 1/100th of a second. An 11.00s sprinter on a rugby field would look really quick, most wingers are probably 11.5 plus. I’d guess JAC might be circa 10.7+. Makes you realise just how speedy elite sprinters are. 

Incidentally speed isn’t just a born trait that you can’t affect - I’ve seen massive improvement with focused technical training beyond just strength stuff and shuttle runs etc. Our SL clubs do no quality speed work from what I’ve seen, and that’s demonstrated by the shuffling low hips technique most of our players adopt compared to much better posture you typically see with the better trained NRL players. 

On 22/05/2019 at 20:35, my missus said:

https://www.nrl.com/tv/news/match-highlights-storm-v-wests-tigers-880602/

this fella can shift.

ryan papanhousen(sp) clocked at 35.8 km/h fastest in nrl last week.

I see Fonua still can't tackle for poop, as good as he might be in attack his defence is awful and always has been

• 1 year later...

Archived