Live Stream - North American 9s

I don't know if anyone managed to see any of these streams (nod to Tex for the post). It was admittedly a challenge, such was the sheer amount of RL broadcast yesterday.

It was insightful to hear the views of North Americans, as they interspersed their commentary with their thoughts on RL.

I picked out the following:

• They were eagerly awaiting confirmation of the NA teams in the RFL, but queried whether entry in 2020 was at all realistic.            (I thought I heard mention of an announcement for Magic Weekend, so that could well be the last opportunity in time for 2020)
  • Aside from New York and Ottawa, the cities of Boston, Philadelphia Detroit and Chicago were suggested as ideal locations for RL teams. There was mention of good things happening at Chicago Stockyarders and perhaps a linkup with Ontario RL.
  • They clearly savoured the thought of the rivalries between these NA cities/clubs, and suggested that there would be significant numbers of fans ready to travel to away games. 
  • In the women's competition, there was a Jamaican 9s team, competing for the first time and, apart from the Canadian RL team, there was a newly created Ontario RL team. 
  • One of the commentators had only become involved with RL three years ago, and explained how welcoming the sport was to potential players, helpers or supporters.

Overall, the commentators were really enthusiastic about this sport which existed in many parts of the world. They knew all about Red Star Belgrade, never mind the Australian and UK hotbeds. 

The lack of negativity can be quite disconcerting...

Just watching USA vs Canada (round three) on the Toronto Wolfpack Facebook page. Looks like a some players look not bad, although rough and some poor decision making, but there is talent that could be taught to play at an ok level.

Interesting points they are making about how kids would prefer to play rugby league compared to rugby union. 

8 minutes ago, North but south said:

Just watching USA vs Canada (round three) on the Toronto Wolfpack Facebook page. Looks like a some players look not bad, although rough and some poor decision making, but there is talent that could be taught to play at an ok level.

Interesting points they are making about how kids would prefer to play rugby league compared to rugby union. 

I've made this point before. A good college athlete ( of various sports) could pick up RL to a good standard ...not talking pivots but speed on the edges or grunt in the pack....

1 hour ago, Manxmanc said:

Yes where's the screensaver gone?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

15 minutes ago, North but south said:

Surely not!

3 minutes ago, North but south said:

It wasn't the usual things as it was talking about how sports are taught in North America and was very specific to why league support the way sports are taught in America over Union.

That's funny I thought it was about relative enjoyment when you use the comparative term more and enjoy in the same sentence. Isn't that what the label is telling us is in the tin can?

4 hours ago, bird said:

9 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

I don't know if anyone managed to see any of these streams (nod to Tex for the post). It was admittedly a challenge, such was the sheer amount of RL broadcast yesterday.

It was insightful to hear the views of North Americans, as they interspersed their commentary with their thoughts on RL.

I picked out the following:

• They were eagerly awaiting confirmation of the NA teams in the RFL, but queried whether entry in 2020 was at all realistic.            (I thought I heard mention of an announcement for Magic Weekend, so that could well be the last opportunity in time for 2020)
  • Aside from New York and Ottawa, the cities of Boston, Philadelphia Detroit and Chicago were suggested as ideal locations for RL teams. There was mention of good things happening at Chicago Stockyarders and perhaps a linkup with Ontario RL.
  • They clearly savoured the thought of the rivalries between these NA cities/clubs, and suggested that there would be significant numbers of fans ready to travel to away games. 
  • In the women's competition, there was a Jamaican 9s team, competing for the first time and, apart from the Canadian RL team, there was a newly created Ontario RL team. 
  • One of the commentators had only become involved with RL three years ago, and explained how welcoming the sport was to potential players, helpers or supporters.

Overall, the commentators were really enthusiastic about this sport which existed in many parts of the world. They knew all about Red Star Belgrade, never mind the Australian and UK hotbeds. 

The stream was awful i have to say.  Turned it off, Nate does a great job.

But the rest was like being stuck on a bus listening to a really boring conversation of really self-absorbed people.

The commentators put so little effort into what they were doing i felt embarassed i had shared it.

It makes our sport look really poundshop having it on the international rugby league page.

After watching the highly entertaining Greece v Norway it was a huge disappointment.

If what i write upsets people, good.

A lot of people would have put effort and money in getting to a competition which was ruined by people putting zero effort into presentation.  Complete failure to even tell you what you were actually watching while games were in play.

Archived