London Skolars - Top of League One

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some competitive Northern opposition would be superb for Skolars? Outstanding defence today meant that Doncaster never looked like winners.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

3 minutes ago, flyingking said:

Some competitive Northern opposition would be superb for Skolars? Outstanding defence today meant that Doncaster never looked like winners.

Donny will have to pull their fingers out if they have any aspirations to be in the play offs.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Great to see, why the turn around in the clubs fortunes?

Things are just coming together. A good coach. A strong squad with some SL experience, which we didn’t have before (on a regular basis) and you do need to compete at this level. The team plays for 80mins and don’t give up if things go against them. Fewer silly errors too. The potential has been there, even after the poor start. Wins build confidence.

What we need now is to get more people through the gates. That is a struggle. The few poor seasons we have had and the temporary move to Enfield, lost us some regulars and it’s really hard marketing a sport in London few people have heard of and with no resources. I walked past the Westfield’s shopping centre in Stratford last week and there was a massive electronic billboard advertising London’s basketball team. We can only dream of such publicity. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Now you know and you’ve got marketing to thank for that. Just imagine what marketing could do for rugby league

No. I’ve got Essex RL to thank for that. We need Essex RL to get a marketing job at either SL or the RFL.

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

No. I’ve got Essex RL to thank for that. We need Essex RL to get a marketing job at either SL or the RFL.

I’d be up for that. I work as a researcher in an university. Despite that, despite having no marketing experience I feel I could do a better job. 

14 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I didn’t even know London had a basketball team.

It doesn't.......................................................................................................it has TWO mens teams and both successful

London Lions won their first league title this year.

London City Royals appeared at The O2 today in the Play off Finals but were well beaten.

16 minutes ago, flyingking said:

It doesn't.......................................................................................................it has TWO mens teams and both successful

London City Royals appeared at The O2 today in the Play off Finals but were well beaten.

Which goes to show that unless you are a soccer team in the UK, for many you will be flying under the radar and not be noticed by them.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

15 minutes ago, flyingking said:

Wow, genuinely interesting, I had no idea all that was going on. I guess this proves a point about getting the message out more widely.

RayCee's point about football is the key one. The British Basketball League has a deal with the BBC that one game a week will be broadcast on the Beeb's website plus a handful of women's games. But unless you know about it, then you will not watch. Any sport that is not football struggles to make itself known with the general public and no amount of marketing will change that.

for me its all about world cups. at our match yesterday we had a packed house with norwegians and greeks. and for skolars as its a massive greek area we had a ton of haringey councillors and the mayor. all greeks and greek cypriots. all vowing if greece brings their game against scotland to new river it will be packed!!

19 hours ago, EssexRL said:

I’d be up for that. I work as a researcher in an university. Despite that, despite having no marketing experience I feel I could do a better job. 

I think we all need to do our bit for spreading the game down here...I've brought many union mates to the Stoop/Hive/Et etc...had two major successes...my father in law and a mate are big converts and come to a lot of games now

I've also brought them to White Hart lane a few times too...unfortunately the last game was the drubbing of Hemel in front of no one and wasn't a great advert for anything! I'm really annoyed i missed this Saturday great event at your place 

22 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Now you know and you’ve got marketing to thank for that. Just imagine what marketing could do for rugby league

London City Royals were featured on the BBC London news in some depth on Friday. They were set up to keep kids off the streets and have shot through the ranks. 

Can't remember the last time either Broncos or Skolars got that sort of coverage on the same show. That sort of coverage would be very helpful. A few years ago I was walking to the Stoop behind a Southern English young twenties lady and her Aussie boyfriend. She said " If I hadn't met you I wouldn't have known they played rugby league in London. ' 

As an aside, why on earth did Skolars double header and Broncos at home get put on the same day? That immediately harmed the gate at both. If at all possible the clubs should be scheduled to play alternatate weekends. (I accept stadium availability may make that impossible. Well done to Skolars for making the best of it though.)

On 19/05/2019 at 09:43, deluded pom? said:

Will you be going to watch the London Basketball team in action or just be content with your new found knowledge that such an entity exists? 

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

11 hours ago, IM2 said:

for me its all about world cups. at our match yesterday we had a packed house with norwegians and greeks. and for skolars as its a massive greek area we had a ton of haringey councillors and the mayor. all greeks and greek cypriots. all vowing if greece brings their game against scotland to new river it will be packed!!

Since you'v gone off topic - would it be more packed ? If they could pack it on Saturday maybe they should be looking for somewhere bigger next time.

Back on topic - great result for Skolars. They could go top again if they beat Haven next week, probably doesn't get tougher than that.

12 hours ago, IM2 said:

It would be great if RL could snatch the attendance record for the stadium off Wealdstone FC (2469)

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

13 hours ago, IM2 said:

What was the attendance Saturday ?

1 hour ago, Manx RL said:

Will you be going to watch the London Basketball team in action or just be content with your new found knowledge that such an entity exists? 

As I find basketball to be one of the most over rated sports on the planet from a spectator perspective I'll settle for the contentment my new found knowledge has given me.

rldfsignature.jpg

They have done amazing and it’s great to see. Well it is for those who like myself want sides from outside the so called heartlands to do well. The anti-expansionists (who probably haven’t been a game for years), won’t like it and they’ll be the ones moaning saying “what about your real RL clubs in the north”.  

Archived