City of Hull Academy split

Both Hull clubs agreed to finish this to tie in with SL requirements for next year and Reserve team flexibility.

Good think imo as it'll create competition between both Clubs to get more kids playing the game.  The amateur game isn't do so well, so hopefully this will help.

Unsure whether the Bishop Burton facility will be continued or used by either Club at this time, but I doubt whether that thought will be high on HKR's list right now ? 

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/city-hull-academy-disbanded-hull-2886656

Excellent news, I was never keen on the idea.

The article seems to suggest Hull's academy will continue to be based at Bishop Burton.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

32 minutes ago, Ullman said:

The article seems to suggest Hull's academy will continue to be based at Bishop Burton.

They were at BB before the link with Rovers so it's no surprise they are staying there.

rldfsignature.jpg

31 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Neither was I but it seemed to be doing ok.  Clear direction now from one source.

Great facility at Bishop Burton.

Not sure what Hull KR will do, they need to completely restructure their youth setup and expand their footprint to increase the catchment area. They also need to actually properly invest in it and not pay lip service like previously. 

Good to see finally the return of u18s and u20s. It should never have been got rid of

Pleased that this has happened. Wasn't in favour to begin with. I don't think it has failed, but I think the academy is a part of a clubs identity. It also creates complications when deciding which players are going to end up at which clubs. 

It would make financial sense to continue sharing things like training facilities, but absolutely the academies should be separate.

8 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Both Hull clubs agreed to finish this to tie in with SL requirements for next year and Reserve team flexibility.

Good think imo as it'll create competition between both Clubs to get more kids playing the game.  The amateur game isn't do so well, so hopefully this will help.

Unsure whether the Bishop Burton facility will be continued or used by either Club at this time, but I doubt whether that thought will be high on HKR's list right now ? 

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/city-hull-academy-disbanded-hull-2886656

"I witnessed 1st hand HKRs.  Fortunately for the club they saw the light and grabbed the amalgamation branch. "

Built on shifting sands... 

47 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

"I witnessed 1st hand HKRs.  Fortunately for the club they saw the light and grabbed the amalgamation branch. "

Built on shifting sands... 

For a minute, I thought you were talking about the floodlight foundations.

Wasn’t good.  Maybe they’ll improve.

13 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Getting rid of the 18's 20's and reserves structure is arguably the reason for the narrowing of the gap between SL and the championship.

Of the Bradford team that pulled of that win v Leeds, if not keeping the likes of Lilley, Hallas and Minchella at leeds what is the point of the reserves?

Or look at fev and take out Sutcliffe, Briscoe, golding and the youngsters that joined them like darley, whylie et al.

There aren't many teams in the championship who dont have some SL loans or some players 21, 22,23 who came from SL clubs that SL clubs will keep for the reserves. 

18s and 20s does not stop players going on loan. The 20s is the reserves btw, but it helps first team players who aren’t in the team or coming back from injury to keep match fit. It is better than DR. 

Youngsters are also getting cut loose too soon. 19 is too soon and they either end up disenchanted and walk away from the game or go part time which is clearly not as beneficial. 

We need to look at what is the best development programs for youngsters. Just ask the recently retired players. Loans still play a part in this. But players are best kept in full time environments, developing in similar team structures to allow a more seamless transition to first team. Throwing them in with a bunch of strangers, as with DR, who you don’t know strengths and weaknesses, calls, team structures etc does little to aid development. 

We’ve had this discussion numerous times though, so it’s pointless going over old ground, but I’m glad sense has been found going forward.

FYI Minchella was released from Leeds for attitude/off field matters. He always had the ability.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Loans wont play anywhere near the part that it plays now. If it were to there would be no need for a reserves. 

I disagree with a reserves and that its development is better for players but whether it is or it isn't, there are going to be very large numbers of players who are going to go from the championship to SL reserves, it is the very reason for it to exist. 

And that will make the gap between SL and the championship much bigger.

And as we know, the make up of professional footy in the northern hemisphere is going to look very different after 2021. The strong will survive, whilst those artificially relying on DR or SL fringe loans are less likely to. 

11 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Not sure what Hull KR will do, they need to completely restructure their youth setup and expand their footprint to increase the catchment area. They also need to actually properly invest in it and not pay lip service like previously. 

Good to see finally the return of u18s and u20s. It should never have been got rid of

They used to spend £250k a year not that long ago. Hardly lip service. Money doesn't grow on trees.

5 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

They used to spend £250k a year not that long ago. Hardly lip service. Money doesn't grow on trees.

In any pro club 250k is a considerable sum, but looking at how effective the work was in delivering that 250k worth is a more relevant question.

Both Clubs now can have their own agendas, can select players without constraints and, I believe, compete with each other in developing their own pathways and school/college relationships.  

Ive mentioned before on here that the education side of Academy’s is just as important.  Youth are looking to become degree qualified which all clubs aren’t offering.  A young man might choose education over a small chance of making pro RL and unless that person was a potential superstar I know which route I’d send my kids down.

1 hour ago, Jean Capdouzey said:

That is a shame. Was really hoping this was a step towards the gradual amalgamation of the two clubs in one small city. SL needs more locations like Barcelona and Toulouse.

Sadly they don't have as much culture as the current UK City of Culture so can't see it getting off the ground - But no harm in pipe dreams ?

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

18 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

I disagree with a reserves and that its development is better for players but whether it is or it isn't, there are going to be very large numbers of players who are going to go from the championship to SL reserves, it is the very reason for it to exist. 

I'm not sure it will work that way.

Someone like Elliot Minchella, who bounced from London to Sheffield before arriving at the Bulls, is now 23 years old. What would be the point of Leeds paying him a contract, year after year, just to play in the Reserves (with maybe the odd first team appearance)? Same with Lilley. He's been cut loose because Leeds don't think he'll make the grade.

Leeds would surely put out a reserve team that is mix of first-team players returning from injury, those who currently go out on DR to Featherstone, and the best prospects from the current Academy. Isn't going to be the likes of Trout, Sutcliffe, Mustapha, who Leeds think will come through to the first team, rather than hanging on to players who won't?

5 hours ago, Roy Boy said:

Sadly they don't have as much culture as the current UK City of Culture so can't see it getting off the ground - But no harm in pipe dreams ?

Indeed, we shouldn't be too hard on those less blessed than ourselves.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 20/05/2019 at 15:06, Lowdesert said:

Neither was I but it seemed to be doing ok.  Clear direction now from one source.

Great facility at Bishop Burton.

Cycling past their back gate on the road to Cherry Burton is the extent of my knowledge of the facility.

Lovely village though.

On 20/05/2019 at 22:07, Lowdesert said:

For a minute, I thought you were talking about the floodlight foundations.

Wasn’t good.  Maybe they’ll improve.

Any particular reason why six months or so ago "grabbing the amalgamation branch" was "seeing the light" and yet now you agree it's a "good thing" they have scrapped it...???

11 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Any particular reason why six months or so ago "grabbing the amalgamation branch" was "seeing the light" and yet now you agree it's a "good thing" they have scrapped it...???

At the time, I thought the agreement was mostly made to save costs and personally wouldn't have done it. At the time, and I still do, I believed that each should go their own way.  If id been involved in it, I would have supported it and as now a fan, I still did and hoped it would work, until this announcement. The 'seeing the light' extract maybe should have been 'seen an opportunity'. Is that not an opinion anyone could have?

I believe each Club requires its identity.  I've no malice towards either club.  The City needs them both financially healthy, bringing crowds and getting into the Community & Schools.  That in itself might be a good thing and create an urgency between the Clubs to up the ante on development and recruitment.

Truth is that the CoHA has never been too popular with fans of either club but we accepted it because we were told it made financial sense.

As a Rovers fan we haven't seen any fruits and people like Parksider wrongly thought that Rovers had actually 'done a Salford' and abandoned academy involvement. Well having to pick up half the costs gave a lie to that but for all the good it did us he may as well have been right.

Reserves and U18's will be compulsory next year so the CoHA has been put out of it's misery and will be a brief and forgettable punctuation mark in the fullness of time.

As an aside surely the biggest impact here is on the Salford club. They are easily the weakest club (not team) in Super League have nothing at all beneath first team level and are sustained purely by TV income. With players galore departing and now the costs of a reserve and U18's to bear in 2020 surely their continued existence as a Super League club is even less viable.

Archived