Catalans plan Barca return - what are our Clubs doing?

Would be genuinely interesting to know.  

Does anyone have an idea what their Club is doing regarding new ways to market and attract bums on seats, merchandise, social media etc etc?

Are there any more Club transcontinental games planned?  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Would be genuinely interesting to know.  

Does anyone have an idea what their Club is doing regarding new ways to market and attract bums on seats, merchandise, social media etc etc?

Are there any more Club transcontinental games planned?  

Apathy still alive and well in RL sadly....

Wigan’s marketing has been poor in the last year or so with a transition in staff behind the scenes.

Prior to that though we were second to none, huge crowds against big sides and even got 20k on against the likes of Crusaders, Quinn and Bradford. 

We also took games to London and Australia.

I wish Leeds would take a big game to Elland road each year, and for some of the clubs in the North West to book out the Etihad and play a big double header.

There was the same number of media representives at the Camp Nou as there would be at a Grand Final. These big events attract crowds, media and the broadcasters love it. 

1. Double header at Elland Road to start the season 

2. Easter Weekend double header at the Etihad 

3. Catalans at the Camp Nou

4. Magic weekend

5. Hull Derby in Newcastle 

6. Challenge cup semi final double header

7. Cup final

8. Play offs

9. Grand final

Its a lot easier to sell to broadcasters, sponsors and the media when we’re putting on more big events like this. 

2 hours ago, Cdd said:

Wigan’s marketing has been poor in the last year or so with a transition in staff behind the scenes.

Prior to that though we were second to none, huge crowds against big sides and even got 20k on against the likes of Crusaders, Quinn and Bradford. 

I wish Leeds would take a big game to Elland road each year, and for some of the clubs in the North West to book out the Etihad and play a big double header.

There was the same number of media representives at the Camp Nou as there would be at a Grand Final. These big events attract crowds, media and the broadcasters love it. 

4. Magic weekend

7. Cup final

8. Play offs

9. Grand final

Its a lot easier to sell to broadcasters, sponsors and the media when we’re putting on more big events like this. 

the order of points 3-5 can be fluid depending on when easter is etc... if possible i would look to have the cats match in June July (but that might just be me). 

also why the Hull Derby in Newcastle?... magic may well be back there if this year falls on its bum like it may well do.. could this move around to the likes of Bramall Lane... Pride Park (Derby in Derby???) etc.. or even Wigan v Saints at Anfield?

great year planner though... will mean it never bloody happens then!

Catalans are in a unique situation where they can appeal to French and Catalonian fans. But I like the idea of Leeds taking a big game to Elland Road each year or Wigan to the Etihad ect. We should be trying to break the attendance record every year not every 15 years

Just now, Mr Plow said:

Hull merged with Gateshead remember? Newcastle’s not too far from Hull I suppose

shall we bring a huddersfield game to Bramall Lane then... anyone with a memory may be a little cheesed off if that were to happen!
I understand that reasoning (if that was where it came from) to a part but if magic is there then we dont need another game up there in the same time of year surely

2 hours ago, Cdd said:

4. Magic weekend

7. Cup final

8. Play offs

9. Grand final

Ok, let’s leave Catalans to do their thing.

I think we need something at Newcastle go keep momentum, but although I like your post, what are Newcastle doing?  

Have our Clubs more ambition than to let the RFL arrange games in Donny, Leigh or Coventry?  This is no disrespect to them, but would a semi final game at Tottenham or even the Etihad, with boatloads of marketing, planning etc etc be better?  What are clubs doing other than turning up to play?

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Catalans are in a unique situation where they can appeal to French and Catalonian fans. But I like the idea of Leeds taking a big game to Elland Road each year or Wigan to the Etihad ect. We should be trying to break the attendance record every year not every 15 years

When did Leeds last sell out a full capacity Headingley?

Maybe some of these ideas just aren’t cost effective for clubs? Leeds have taken games to Elland Road before and haven’t returned, Wigan were kicked out of the DW and went to Millwall for a game and haven’t bothered with that escapade again at Millwall or elsewhere and Catalans have played elsewhere in France (wasn’t it Montpellier?) and Barcelona before (and it took them about ten years to go back). 

We’re not flush with money in the sport and the biggest clubs still aren’t exactly flush and in the position to take away one of their most financially lucrative home games a year, write off that money and then spend out on the rent of a Football stadium elsewhere. 

Also, what’s the purpose of moving a game to say Newcastle, Manchester or Dublin? I totally get the idea behind Catalans taking a game to Barcelona, the capital of that Catalonian region, and can see the benefit for them taking a game elsewhere within their region but I don’t really understand why a city would take a game fifty plus miles away to a city where there is no tenuous links between the two. 

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

Double headers always say to me... we can't attract anywhere near enough to fill half a ground....

RL pretty much sells out one sizeable football ground a year - the Grand Final. Other than that you are pretty much right. BTW the Dragons managed about 33% of Camp Nou, not sure how much of St James Park 52k capacity is sold for each day of Magic

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Maybe some of these ideas just aren’t cost effective for clubs? Leeds have taken games to Elland Road before and haven’t returned, Wigan were kicked out of the DW and went to Millwall for a game and haven’t bothered with that escapade again at Millwall or elsewhere and Catalans have played elsewhere in France (wasn’t it Montpellier?) and Barcelona before (and it took them about ten years to go back). 

We’re not flush with money in the sport and the biggest clubs still aren’t exactly flush and in the position to take away one of their most financially lucrative home games a year, write off that money and then spend out on the rent of a Football stadium elsewhere. 

Also, what’s the purpose of moving a game to say Newcastle, Manchester or Dublin? I totally get the idea behind Catalans taking a game to Barcelona, the capital of that Catalonian region, and can see the benefit for them taking a game elsewhere within their region but I don’t really understand why a city would take a game fifty plus miles away to a city where there is no tenuous links between the two. 

Yes , it's easy on here to just say " do this , do that , market the life out of it " , but finding clubs that will even allow a RL game on their pitch isn't easy depending what time of year it is , then the cost , and the risk associated 

Looking at the Summer Bash you generally get about double your normal away following , so then pulling in the locals is what is needed , and we all know how easy that is 

5 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Wigan v Hull in Oz was innovative so was the game last weekend,.  Genuine question Spud.

Wigan v hull only happened cos they where both down under anyway..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

TBH it would need to be a very good game to get me to go and watch Leeds at Elland Road again. It's an awful ground, in the wrong place for Leeds with terrible access and an average atmosphere. OK for internationals, I suppose, but Leeds haven't spent £45m on Headingley to spend more money renting a ground south of the river.

Archived