Liverpool RLFC

Is Koukash and Backhouse still launching this Liverpool club? 

It really needs to happen, the more big cities in RL the better. I also hope that they can invest as much as was put into Salford and go through the league system very quickly. 

Plenty of potential rivalries against the likes of Widnes and Saints. It's Magic Weekend so they should be officially launching in the next few days. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They invested nothing in the club at Salford. The only money they put in went on big name players that didn't fit in to the club. The club is no healthier now financially than it was when they came in. A Liverpool club would do very well to attract 300 spectators. Its been tried before with Liverpool City and Huyton. There isn't even any amateur teams in Liverpool any more. There is little to no interest in Rugby League in Liverpool.

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Is Koukash and Backhouse still launching this Liverpool club? 

It really needs to happen, the more big cities in RL the better. I also hope that they can invest as much as was put into Salford and go through the league system very quickly. 

Plenty of potential rivalries against the likes of Widnes and Saints. It's Magic Weekend so they should be officially launching in the next few days. 

Well timed.It is being launched on 24th May - the day prior to the Magic Weekend,in Liverpool.( 2 more sleeps )

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/northwest/liverpool-an-untapped-market-for-rugby-league-club-backhouse

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

A complete non-starter, waste of time and money.  Koukash had an existing team in the Manchester conurbation and made a complete pigs ear of it while upsetting everyone he could apart from his fellow mouthy owner Derek with his know it all 'straight talking' style, despite not knowing much about anything RL related and being completely new to the game.  Frankly unless they're called Liverpool Yellow Submarines and play in an all yellow strip I'm not interested.

39 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Well timed.It is being launched on 24th May - the day prior to the Magic Weekend,in Liverpool.( 2 more sleeps )

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/northwest/liverpool-an-untapped-market-for-rugby-league-club-backhouse

Untapped market though Liverpool may be, Backhouse and Koukash are operating on a false premise.  Unless Liverpudlians rate the "northern village" teams which predominantly populate pro RL in the UK as worth their time and money to go watch when they play in their city more than Londoners evidently do, the proposed Liverpool club will be a failure and no evidence of the situation in Liverpool being materially different than in London exists as far as I know.

2 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

They invested nothing in the club at Salford. The only money they put in went on big name players that didn't fit in to the club. The club is no healthier now financially than it was when they came in. A Liverpool club would do very well to attract 300 spectators. Its been tried before with Liverpool City and Huyton. There isn't even any amateur teams in Liverpool any more. There is little to no interest in Rugby League in Liverpool.

Liverpool city attracted over 30k for a cup game against Warrington. 

12 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

All 30k lost to the game. Not one of them has taken in a game this season.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

31 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Frankly, I don't believe this is true but, if you can prove me wrong I will be happy to accept it. In any case this is a one off and it would have been back in the days when all RL clubs were much better supported than they are now, people watched multiple sports because it was more affordable and there were not as many other distractions. Rugby League will not survive in Liverpool after the initial curious interest.

2 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Frankly, I don't believe this is true but, if you can prove me wrong I will be happy to accept it. In any case this is a one off and it would have been back in the days when all RL clubs were much better supported than they are now, people watched multiple sports because it was more affordable and there were not as many other distractions. Rugby League will not survive in Liverpool after the initial curious interest.

The rugby commentator on radio merseys was being interviewed this week and Koukash and his plan were being discussed and the host asked him would it succeed in Liverpool and his reply was that a cup tie in Liverpool between Liverpool city and Warrington drew a crowd of over 34k. Now that was probably in the fifties but it still got the crowd.

42 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Untapped market though Liverpool may be, Backhouse and Koukash are operating on a false premise.  Unless Liverpudlians rate the "northern village" teams which predominantly populate pro RL in the UK as worth their time and money to go watch when they play in their city more than Londoners evidently do, the proposed Liverpool club will be a failure and no evidence of the situation in Liverpool being materially different than in London exists as far as I know.

Should have brought in Liverpool and Manchester at the same time. Instant rivalry and big city names added to the North West. All the big cities in Yorkshire have pro teams, as well as the other big towns (and a few small ones) - in fact, I think it's only really Barnsley and Rotherham in Yorkshire that don't - so can't see a huge place like the North West having issues with "too many clubs" as previously stated. There's loads of room to accommodate more clubs in the North West. If invested are willing to invest, let them.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

If he gets schools playing then he has a chance, they played in the sixties and seventies because I played against a school in kirby for st pauls in Leigh in 1970 and they had a proper rugby field. 

12 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

If he gets schools playing then he has a chance, they played in the sixties and seventies because I played against a school in kirby for st pauls in Leigh in 1970 and they had a proper rugby field. 

You as well ? , I think they also did boxing at John Conteh's gym 

1 hour ago, Manx RL said:

All 30k lost to the game. Not one of them has taken in a game this season.

My dad used to watch Liverpool back then and he still watches RL. There's an ex-Liverpool City players group on facebook with a couple of hundred members too - formed off the back of a club history book being published a few years ago.

Sceptical about 34k fitting into any of the grounds they used over the years. Sceptical about Mr. Backhouse too, but let's see what happens.

Jeeze you guys don't want overseas teams, and you don't want local teams, seems to me that change might be the enemy ?

Love Liverpool as a city, and as a team location (you know a place people outside of England have heard of unlike some teams - for international appeal obviously).

My major concern is when do they enter the structure, since Ottawa was announced for next year (with the option to delay if they want) and the alleged NYC bid, seems a few years down the line for them (or more time in the minor leagues then the "big spending" owners would like!)

A Liverpool team would be great, but I just don't see it working that well. All the working class kids will be playing football and if not football, then boxing. Who would the target be? Union is very small in the area and is mostly the posh areas where it is played. 

I can't see there being support beyond 2-300 at best. Perhaps Saints, Warrington or Widnes could look into playing a few games a road a year to gauge interest and see if it's feasible? 

16 hours ago, Big Picture said:

except for it being in the north, populated by northerners with knowledge of the north there is no material difference at all! :kolobok_shok:

(BTW i'm not saying it will work but it is very very different to the proposition of London... its bigger issue is around football and how it will cope with not alienating one side by the decisions it makes [kit & badge are the first hurdles])

16 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Who are these "Northern village teams" you keep going on about? Leeds, Salford, Hull and Wakefield are all cities for a start. Leeds, Hull, Wigan and Huddersfield have been able to host PL clubs, so can't be that small. Warrington biggest town in Cheshire, St Helens pop over 100k. Salford is good enough for the BBC. That just leaves Castleford. 

It would be great if we could get into the "big" cities in England but it's more difficult than just putting a team there. Pop up teams don't really work in the UK for many reasons, especially if they're going to replace a team in Super League that has thousands of fans and players in the region. There needs to be a better thought out approach.

I suppose the closest comparison you could make for our North American friends is saying that Saskatchewen and Calgary should be replaced in the Canadian Football League with bigger names like Boston and Jacksonville. After all if they turn up for NFL games so they could be converted to Canadian football fans and it would appeal more to an international audience.

15 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Should have brought in Liverpool and Manchester at the same time. Instant rivalry and big city names added to the North West. All the big cities in Yorkshire have pro teams, as well as the other big towns (and a few small ones) - in fact, I think it's only really Barnsley and Rotherham in Yorkshire that don't - so can't see a huge place like the North West having issues with "too many clubs" as previously stated. There's loads of room to accommodate more clubs in the North West. If invested are willing to invest, let them.

and Middlesbrough

Archived