Liverpool RLFC

4 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Looking at his interests he may be limited in how many people he can communicate with about rugby league.

Obviously,to Anfield,when soccer is played,people travel from Ireland,Norway,Sweden etc - not from a 10 mile radius of the stadium.

Liverpool RLFC will not be limited to a few mile radius of wherever their stadium will be located.

Parky keeps quoting Pearson.Could he stop until our sport matches the other code as predicted by the elite owner of the elite club that is Hull FC ( that needed a whole club from rugby league outpost Gateshead to survive.)

There is no greater set of non-league soccer fans than travel to,and watch,Wrexham FC.

When Crusaders were parachuted into that town over 10k watched the opening game v Leeds,in Super League,on a snow-covered pitch.

It can be done.Just be positive and pro-active.

Hi Angel, the bit in bold, a very moot point, could it be that the people available to communicate with regarding RL is the people that not many of whom have an interest in it. I Have travelled extensively around Britain (through work) and I have always brought up the subject of RL when not discussing buisness, the usual reaction I recieved was no different than if I brought up the subject of 'rock sorting' on the moon,  in fact rock sorting would probably have got a more favourable response.

We are such an insular lot us RL fans, we know we have the greatest game in the world, the problem is devotees of other sports have the very same respect for their game also. You could not pay me to go to Old Trafford, Ethiad, Anfield or Goodison (grounds in my locality) I simply have no interest in football, in fact the number of times I have been invited through buisness contacts to accompany them to these places which has useually been on a Saturday afternoon I have with respect declined their invitation advising them that I have something prior arranged, the truth is I would have been going to watch Leigh East or Miners. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

At the risk of repeating myself on a repeated thread,I can tell you that scousers have no interest in tgg. I live in Liverpool and the interest levels are zero,so much so that I find people can only hold a conversation with me about rl for 38 seconds. When the possibility of a team in Liverpool first arose I took the chance to ask my workmates what they thought of it,would they go and watch them etc and reported my findings to this forum,only to be labelled negative.A mate of mine who is a true koppite even asked me what was going on at anfield this coming weekend,when I told him he just moaned about his hallowed turf being desecrated. My long winded point is that due to being steeped in football history,whether they are from a blue house or a red house,their only interest is a polite passing one. I hope I'm proven wrong at some point soon. Again this isn't me being negative,quite the opposite as I'm taking  the time to ask locals what their pov is and hopefully generate some form of interest. I would love to have a pro rl team in Liverpool.(got lots of train stations too)

And that is why a pro RL team in Liverpool can't possibly succeed, unless it and/or the league in which it plays has something capable of breaking through that disinterest.  Whether the disinterest is due to the prevalence of soccer in the city, to Liverpudlians not rating the "small northern villages" whose teams predominate in RL or to some combination of the two, the situation is the same: a pro team in Liverpool or any other big city in the UK requires a means of breaking through that disinterest in order to succeed.

16 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Isn’t it in the middle of nowhere?

It's certainly not in the town centre like Feethams was (or is if you're talking about the cricket ground) but it's not the middle of nowhere. It's very easy to get to from the town centre and won't take that long.

4 hours ago, Bramstein said:

It's certainly not in the town centre like Feethams was (or is if you're talking about the cricket ground) but it's not the middle of nowhere. It's very easy to get to from the town centre and won't take that long.

Only been past it on the train and it appears to be in the middle of a field. 

On 23/05/2019 at 15:10, owls said:

you are probably right about the young ones not  knowing ,they did a poll in a local paper and the question was asked where is Middlesbrough,  about 77% said either North Yorks or North Riding of Yorks,. in Redcar the Yorkshire name has been added to some road signs,

Got relatives in Redcar.....they want everyone to think/know it's North Yorkshire ...it's considered more prestigious than Teeside

11 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

There is no greater set of non-league soccer fans than travel to,and watch,Wrexham FC.

Apologies for the thread drift, but I would suggest Stockport County would have something to say about that, especially given their respective catchment areas. 

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:55, Angelic Cynic said:

Looking at his interests he may be limited in how many people he can communicate with about rugby league.

Obviously,to Anfield,when soccer is played,people travel from Ireland,Norway,Sweden etc - not from a 10 mile radius of the stadium.

Liverpool RLFC will not be limited to a few mile radius of wherever their stadium will be located.

Parky keeps quoting Pearson.Could he stop until our sport matches the other code as predicted by the elite owner of the elite club that is Hull FC ( that needed a whole club from rugby league outpost Gateshead to survive.)

There is no greater set of non-league soccer fans than travel to,and watch,Wrexham FC.

When Crusaders were parachuted into that town over 10k watched the opening game v Leeds,in Super League,on a snow-covered pitch.

It can be done.Just be positive and pro-active. 

Are you quoting Crusaders as a model for success? Watching Celtic Crusaders was one of the best times of my life in Rugby League but you may have noticed that they don't exist any more? I was at that game when over 10,000 people turned up at the Racecourse ground, along with all of the Swinton, Huddersfield, Salford & Leeds fans, etc that went to the game out of curiosity. The first North Wales Crusaders league game at home to Barrow also attracted 1000. In fact, I watched every game N W crusaders played in the first 3 seasons of their existence and the supporters there are some of the best I have ever been involved with. If anybody deserves a club its the people at North Wales Crusaders. However, have you not noticed that the crowds since those opening games have settled now at about 250? The supporters run the club free of charge as volunteers because they love the game so much. Without the supporters, many of whom are good friends of mine, there would be no North Wales Crusaders.

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 12:56, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Forgot about them.

I don't think Middleborough residents even remember that there in Yorkshire to be fair ?

But Middlesbrough residents remember!!! 

On 23/05/2019 at 12:32, RP London said:

dont talk daft

Firstly..  how can you start with "precisely" when i have just disagreed with what you said before and you then go on to contradict your original comment on London and Liverpool having no material difference...

Second.. Green Bay is a small insignificant town yet they contribute a bucket load to the NFL... you dont need many but people understand the history in the north, they understand the "small towns" are still famous clubs. you may not like that but its still a fact. London needs a different sell to Liverpool on that.. what liverpool needs is to get a town that cares much more about football and only football to care about something else and it doesnt matter who they play that is still the challenge (very much like Sheffield that struggles to catch the imagination but its got nothing to do with who they play but to do with not really giving a toss about another sport)

So what's your ideal scenario? Should the unglamorous English teams from small insignificant towns step aside, so the likes of Ottawa & Jacksonville can take their place? When does this all end, will there any room left for the likes of Wigan & St Helens in your dream league? Is this really expansion or just a takeover?

On 23/05/2019 at 15:42, RP London said:

In Sheffield people are heavily invested in their football side and anything else can go do one.. There is little or not interest in any of the other sports here its football football football and little is going to change that without some sort of massive push and investment from someone but even then playing big cities is NOT the thing that will make people go..

Ninety-five per cent of my extended family is from Sheffield (I'm not). They're all Wednesday (i.e. football), and have absolutely no interest in rugby league. Ice hockey is the only non-football sport in Sheffield that draws a decent crowd.

I lived and worked on Teesside for five years. Locals would tell me "rugby league isn't a Teesside sport". On Teesside, football completely dominates. Everything else - such as cricket, rugby union and speedway - is minority interest stuff. Middlesbrough residents (and those down the coast to Redcar) regard themselves very much as from Yorkshire. Rather surprised me when I first pitched up there.

I see Hartlepool has had a mention. Welshmen who built the docks brought rugby union to Hartlepool. Always seems strange that rugby union is popular - five senior clubs - in such a working class town. Doesn't Hartlepool have an amateur rugby league club for 2019?

I attended Liverpool University in the early 1980s. At the time (and I'd be astonished if this outlook has changed), rugby league - on the rare occasions it broke through to the city's sporting consciousness - was seen as a sheepshaggers' sport. St Helens, Warrington and Widnes were not regarded as 'Liverpool'. Liverpool is like Middlesbrough: football is the only sport that matters. Anybody trying to establish, and popularise, a rugby league club in Liverpool would face a massive task. 

Anybody who has lived outside rugby league's heartlands will know how little the sport is regarded. I lived and worked in Exeter for a couple of years (at a time when Exeter RU were rubbish - second tier, playing out of a ramshackle ground shared with a speedway team and struggling to attract a thousand spectators). Rugby league simply didn't register. It was in the same class as shinty.

4 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Ninety-five per cent of my extended family is from Sheffield (I'm not). They're all Wednesday (i.e. football), and have absolutely no interest in rugby league. Ice hockey is the only non-football sport in Sheffield that draws a decent crowd.

I lived and worked on Teesside for five years. Locals would tell me "rugby league isn't a Teesside sport". On Teesside, football completely dominates. Everything else - such as cricket, rugby union and speedway - is minority interest stuff. Middlesbrough residents (and those down the coast to Redcar) regard themselves very much as from Yorkshire. Rather surprised me when I first pitched up there.

I see Hartlepool has had a mention. Welshmen who built the docks brought rugby union to Hartlepool. Always seems strange that rugby union is popular - five senior clubs - in such a working class town. Doesn't Hartlepool have an amateur rugby league club for 2019?

I attended Liverpool University in the early 1980s. At the time (and I'd be astonished if this outlook has changed), rugby league - on the rare occasions it broke through to the city's sporting consciousness - was seen as a sheepshaggers' sport. St Helens, Warrington and Widnes were not regarded as 'Liverpool'. Liverpool is like Middlesbrough: football is the only sport that matters. Anybody trying to establish, and popularise, a rugby league club in Liverpool would face a massive task. 

Anybody who has lived outside rugby league's heartlands will know how little the sport is regarded. I lived and worked in Exeter for a couple of years (at a time when Exeter RU were rubbish - second tier, struggling to attract a thousand spectators). Rugby league simply didn't register. It was in the same class as shinty.

Not heard scourers use the term " sheepshaggers " , but certainly the term " woollyback " when referring to non Liverpudlians 

Archived