Liverpool RLFC

25 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not heard scourers use the term " sheepshaggers " , but certainly the term " woollyback " when referring to non Liverpudlians 

There’s a certain amount of irony in how insular Scousers can be when that would be exactly the accusation that they would throw at ‘woolyback’ towns, in a similar vein to Mancunians and ‘yonners’. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why the move to Anfield has puzzled me. Move it there (possibly) if a Liverpool RLFC was to be formed and use it as a promotional tool to help set up/advertise the club. For me I feel it's just media inches for Koukash. Newcastle, with strategic fixture setting, had 4000+ vs the Bulls. The magic weekend is now a feature of the season, we also need to make the most out of it.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Not heard scourers use the term " sheepshaggers " , but certainly the term " woollyback " when referring to non Liverpudlians 

You're quite right. 'Woolly' (an abbreviation of 'woollyback') was the expression locals used when I lived in Liverpool. I never picked up that bit of scouse-speak. Where I grew up, 'sheepshagger' was the insult, which is why I used it.

On 24/05/2019 at 21:10, Leyther_Matt said:

Apologies for the thread drift, but I would suggest Stockport County would have something to say about that, especially given their respective catchment areas. 

Northwich Victoria?  the ground was sold and then the club moved 50 miles away to Stafford as a protest to being block from moving to Flixton.  

Looking at it, it seems we target grounds with a minimum 50,000 capacity and looking at it, we’ve done nearly all of them now. 

St James’, Anfield, Etihad, Millennium and Murrayfield have all been hosts. Looking at the other ground above 50,000, we don’t have many realistic options, IMO. 

Ibrox, Parkhead and Hampden Park in Glasgow have 50k+ capacities and could be used, I suppose but I’m not too sure on location to city centre etc with those three. 

Then you have a plethora of grounds in London, though we already have the Challenge Cup Final there and the attendances for that aren’t good and taking a Magic Weekend could have a further detrimental effect on those attendances.

The London Stadium has little around it and the views of the pitch are poor. The Emirates is lovely, it’s a great stadium but again, it’s in London. Tottenham’s new one looks immense and there’s no need to leave the ground because it has so much in it. 

12 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Tottenham’s new one looks immense and there’s no need to leave the ground because it has so much in it. 

That would be my choice for next year as the novelty value is high. It would attract the usual rugby league diehards plus Southern league fans and non-fans alike. 

There's even less intrest in any form of Rugby in Glasgow than Liverpool so what's the point of going there? It ranks with the genius at the Giants who thought that if they played in a Liverpool kit 1000s of attending Liverpool fans would support them?

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

You're quite right. 'Woolly' (an abbreviation of 'woollyback') was the expression locals used when I lived in Liverpool. I never picked up that bit of scouse-speak. Where I grew up, 'sheepshagger' was the insult, which is why I used it.

The term woolyback stems from the docks and and was used to describe the lads who carried fleeces on their backs.Most of them were scouse but as the fleeces were to be sent to locations outside of Liverpool,anybody carrying said items were referred to as woolybacks.That said,I cant win.Ive lived in Liverpool half my life and im still called a woolyback,I go back home and they call me a plastic scouser!

21 hours ago, Clogiron said:

There's even less intrest in any form of Rugby in Glasgow than Liverpool so what's the point of going there?

Not sure about that. Glasgow has plenty of RU clubs, one of which is fully professional. Liverpool has virtually no RU clubs. The Liverpool club fled to St Helens, leaving Liverpool Collegiate, Liverpool University, Mossley Hill, Sefton and Waterloo (who play in Crosby not Liverpool). The Wirral has a number of RU clubs but it isn't Liverpool.

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Given we’ve just had the second worst Magic Weekend of all time, is Koukash’s idea of Liverpool dead and he’ll pipe up in six months with another delusion of grandeur of the World’s biggest rugby league team to be based out of Kidderminster? 

Did anyone in Liverpool actually know about this event though? I know a number of fanatical Liverpool fans, including two season ticket holders, who didn't have a clue this event was taking place. If they don't know then they cant go.

On 27/05/2019 at 11:03, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Given we’ve just had the second worst Magic Weekend of all time, is Koukash’s idea of Liverpool dead and he’ll pipe up in six months with another delusion of grandeur of the World’s biggest rugby league team to be based out of Kidderminster? 

It may be that Widnes have more financial issues than they can deal with it.

It also seems,that unlike you,several fans of Widnes have been impressed by Dr Koukash,when he appeared during their financial mess that endangered their future a few months ago.

I'm guessing that the 3 people who were interested in forming a Liverpool club may still be involved in dialogue regarding Widnes.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On 27/05/2019 at 11:06, Damien said:

Did anyone in Liverpool actually know about this event though? I know a number of fanatical Liverpool fans, including two season ticket holders, who didn't have a clue this event was taking place. If they don't know then they cant go.

I live in Liverpool and I saw plenty of adverts in Central train station (where tens of thousands of people pass through every day) for what felt like quite a long time, and saw other Ad exposure across the city. My wife works for the city council and received several promotions internally which thousands of other people employed by them would have also received. I know plenty of football (red & blue) season ticket holders / fans who knew about it. I may be wrong and I can only go on my own experience, but the problem for me wasn't necessarily local people not knowing about it, it was the vast majority of local people not caring in the slightest that it was happening. 

37 minutes ago, Hodgo said:

I live in Liverpool and I saw plenty of adverts in Central train station (where tens of thousands of people pass through every day) for what felt like quite a long time, and saw other Ad exposure across the city. My wife works for the city council and received several promotions internally which thousands of other people employed by them would have also received. I know plenty of football (red & blue) season ticket holders / fans who knew about it. I may be wrong and I can only go on my own experience, but the problem for me wasn't necessarily local people not knowing about it, it was the vast majority of local people not caring in the slightest that it was happening. 

I agree with this. We seem to have this simplistic idea on this forum that if you tell people about something they’ll automatically go (and spend a lot of their hard earned money doing so.) The truth is I know about all sorts of ice hockey, motor sports events, womens netball etc. I just have no interest in going. The trick is to target the right people and give them a reason to go.

On 25/05/2019 at 20:29, MustardBoy said:

So what's your ideal scenario? Should the unglamorous English teams from small insignificant towns step aside, so the likes of Ottawa & Jacksonville can take their place? When does this all end, will there any room left for the likes of Wigan & St Helens in your dream league? Is this really expansion or just a takeover?

Where on earth does that come from my post?!? or any of my other numerous posts on this sort of thing for that matter!

22 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It may be that Widnes have more financial issues than they can deal with it.

It also seems,that unlike you,several fans of Widnes have been impressed by Dr Koukash,when he appeared during their financial mess that endangered their future a few months ago.

I'm guessing that the 3 people who were interested in forming a Liverpool club may still be involved in dialogue regarding Widnes.

Not sure why you think Oliver Clothesoff is a Widnes fan?

Dr. Koukash made a number of substantial donations to the Widnes fundraising efforts, Luke Backhouse was a generous sponsor of Widnes in previous seasons, but AFAIK, neither of them is currently involved with Widnes, or looking to be involved. Would seem odd for either of them to post about announcing a Liverpool RL team on Friday still interested in another club? 

Widnes current financial issues are that the previously promised academy central funding money has now been withdrawn, so it's not clear how the club's academy can continue to operate. Shame because it was rated outstanding and Widnes this season have fielded teams where 13 players were recent academy products. 

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Not sure why you think Oliver Clothesoff is a Widnes fan?

Dr. Koukash made a number of substantial donations to the Widnes fundraising efforts, Luke Backhouse was a generous sponsor of Widnes in previous seasons, but AFAIK, neither of them is currently involved with Widnes, or looking to be involved. Would seem odd for either of them to post about announcing a Liverpool RL team on Friday still interested in another club? 

Widnes current financial issues are that the previously promised academy central funding money has now been withdrawn, so it's not clear how the club's academy can continue to operate. Shame because it was rated outstanding and Widnes this season have fielded teams where 13 players were recent academy products. 

I don't.St Helens follower,I believe.

It may have gone quiet on Liverpool,if there has been a delay over a new stadium site.

I await update(s) with interest.

Comments in the Yorkshire press about the possibility of extending the number of clubs in The Championship was also of interest.

The sport is always changing...  

On 24/05/2019 at 09:55, Angelic Cynic said:

Liverpool RLFC will not be limited to a few mile radius of wherever their stadium will be located.   When Crusaders were parachuted into that town over 10k watched the opening game v Leeds,in Super League,on a snow-covered pitch.  It can be done. "Just be positive and pro-active". Parky keeps.........

........Pulling you and the other 19 dreamers on here for constant predictions that all you have to do is mention a big city (coz Big Pictures garbage is based on big cities) which then becomes ripe for a successful RL clubs to be developed therein. This site has had enough dreams with Los Angeles being the latest and most laughable. What is up with you people? Why do you not get it? 

On 25/05/2019 at 15:39, Celtic Rooster said:

Are you quoting NW Crusaders as a model for success? Watching Celtic Crusaders was one of the best times of my life in Rugby League but you may have noticed that they don't exist any more? I was at that game when over 10,000 people turned up at the Racecourse ground, along with all of the Swinton, Huddersfield, Salford & Leeds fans, etc that went to the game out of curiosity. If anybody deserves a club its the people at North Wales Crusaders. However, have you not noticed that the crowds since those opening games have settled now at about 250? 

RL's opening attracted 10,000 to North wales and quite quickly 9,750 stopped going but in the dreamers heads they believe that the rejection of "the greatest game" beyond the heartlands is because someone somewhere in charge of the game just didn't do enough to "market" to that audience, and other audiences who have given RL a chance, to retain their curiousness and convert them to TGG.

The reality is Rugby league is well respected, but when you have an established soccer or Rugby Union audience in a place you want to  convert, they are as died in the wool and as intransigent as I have been when people have taken me to watch Leeds United or Leeds Carnegie RUFC...I enjoyed such experiences, but I'm RL through and through.

On 26/05/2019 at 04:31, Hopping Mad said:

Ninety-five per cent of my extended family is from Sheffield and have absolutely no interest in rugby league. 

I lived and worked on Teesside for five years. Locals would tell me "rugby league isn't a Teesside sport". On Teesside, football completely dominates. Everything else - such as cricket, rugby union and speedway - is minority interest stuff. ugby league club for 2019?

I attended Liverpool University in the early 1980s. At the time (and I'd be astonished if this outlook has changed), rugby league - on the rare occasions it broke through to the city's sporting consciousness - was seen as a sheepshaggers' sport. St Helens, Warrington and Widnes were not regarded as 'Liverpool'. Liverpool is like Middlesbrough: football is the only sport that matters. Anybody trying to establish, and popularise, a rugby league club in Liverpool would face a massive task. 

Anybody who has lived outside rugby league's heartlands will know how little the sport is regarded. Rugby league simply didn't register. It was in the same class as shinty.

Please keep posting the truth of the matter and isn't it just the exact same case that when the 20 dreamers on here keep installing (in their heads) a foreign sport into places so exclusively settled and loving of their own sports, whether Soccer, Rugby Union, Grid Iron or whatever it ain't going to take root with people who are already rooted in a 100 year history and tradition of their own team games and that may well include shinty in some highland backwaters,

On 27/05/2019 at 11:06, Damien said:

Forgive me but this is the ultimate stupidity of the expansionist argument whereby "If only they knew a rugby league game was taking place they would attend, get hooked, bring their mates, attendances would rise, people would start playing RL, the game would grow......"  and of course these Liverpool fans would abandon soccer (even though their club have just been crowned as European champions) to rally around Rugby league which was first introduced to Liverpool in 1905

And this is the point...Long before Liverpool and Everton became monster Soccer clubs (Everton being a massive favourite of thousands of North Wales soccer fans) Liverpool formed the first Liverpool City RLFC in 1905 who lost most of their games to the complete disinterest of the local populace and folded after one season. They were resurrected several times as Liverpool Stanley, City again, and Huyton every one a massive failure.....Yet here we go again Damian my friend - you think RL is going to take off big style if only we put the "Marketing" in?

Don't those who champion the Dave T model of marketing our game to world dominance  not get it that rival sports are also marketing their games in competition with us - only with much bigger budgets to people already hooked on their games???????

On 28/05/2019 at 13:18, Hodgo said:

Reality post of the year.......

7 hours ago, Damien said:

It's funny how Parky resorts to making up his own quotes to argue against points that no one has made.

Hi Damien,

I'm here to debate your, and others, expansionist nonsense. However you appear to want to go into denial and feebly call for help from others rather than engage in the so called "expansion" debate and counter any of the key points yourself? It's always the case  on here if you dreamers are pulled up on the nonsense you propose, you just hope that others will come to your rescue accordingly.

Often they do but never with anything of substance, just insults and deliberate ignoring of the facts and realities. I've had nigh on three years of making some very strong points I still make, that inevitably are never answered with any direct reply, only stuff like "put him on ignore"

But more and more realists are now entering the fray, making it clear that not enough people give a damn about Rugby League for it to succeed commercially outside it's traditional boundaries.  We are no more likely to succeed with Rugby league in Liverpool than Los Angeles, but on the other hand nor will Grid Iron succeed in Newcastle, or Soccer succeed in Castleford or  Rugby Union succeed  in Leeds.....and just what happened to RL in Sheffield this last 35 years for your reality check Damian?

So that's the actual truth of it, and the bottom line is that we are what we are, and must make the best of it, not dream the game away to 3,000 miles away or to places just down the road, where they just don't care about RL or expect "Marketing" to save us when clearly it can't outside our boundaries and outside our budgets. So how about it my fellow RL fan? Still going to go on about RL exploding around the world (and when it doesn't you can blame the feeble RFL or blinkered SL for not making it so?)? 

Come on Damian, explain to me where the additional regular good PAYING crowds, the long term investors, the paying TV interest and the quality players are going to come from, to deliver your daydreams away from the traditional heartlands??

Are they all just in your head perhaps??  Now that IS "funny".....?

7 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Snip

More deluded nonsense. If you are going to quote people reply to what is written. At no point in what you quoted have I touched on the nonsense you have spouted, either in this post or your previous one. You really should stop quoting people as an excuse to copy and paste against points that haven't been made.

8 hours ago, The Parksider said:

........Pulling you and the other 19 dreamers on here for constant predictions that all you have to do is mention a big city (coz Big Pictures garbage is based on big cities) which then becomes ripe for a successful RL clubs to be developed therein. This site has had enough dreams with Los Angeles being the latest and most laughable. What is up with you people? Why do you not get it? 

RL's opening attracted 10,000 to North wales and quite quickly 9,750 stopped going but in the dreamers heads they believe that the rejection of "the greatest game" beyond the heartlands is because someone somewhere in charge of the game just didn't do enough to "market" to that audience, and other audiences who have given RL a chance, to retain their curiousness and convert them to TGG.

The reality is Rugby league is well respected, but when you have an established soccer or Rugby Union audience in a place you want to  convert, they are as died in the wool and as intransigent as I have been when people have taken me to watch Leeds United or Leeds Carnegie RUFC...I enjoyed such experiences, but I'm RL through and through.

Please keep posting the truth of the matter and isn't it just the exact same case that when the 20 dreamers on here keep installing (in their heads) a foreign sport into places so exclusively settled and loving of their own sports, whether Soccer, Rugby Union, Grid Iron or whatever it ain't going to take root with people who are already rooted in a 100 year history and tradition of their own team games and that may well include shinty in some highland backwaters,

Forgive me but this is the ultimate stupidity of the expansionist argument whereby "If only they knew a rugby league game was taking place they would attend, get hooked, bring their mates, attendances would rise, people would start playing RL, the game would grow......"  and of course these Liverpool fans would abandon soccer (even though their club have just been crowned as European champions) to rally around Rugby league which was first introduced to Liverpool in 1905

And this is the point...Long before Liverpool and Everton became monster Soccer clubs (Everton being a massive favourite of thousands of North Wales soccer fans) Liverpool formed the first Liverpool City RLFC in 1905 who lost most of their games to the complete disinterest of the local populace and folded after one season. They were resurrected several times as Liverpool Stanley, City again, and Huyton every one a massive failure.....Yet here we go again Damian my friend - you think RL is going to take off big style if only we put the "Marketing" in?

Don't those who champion the Dave T model of marketing our game to world dominance  not get it that rival sports are also marketing their games in competition with us - only with much bigger budgets to people already hooked on their games???????

Reality post of the year.......

Once again agree with essentially everything , but as a counter Parky , maybe it is easier to ' expand ' RL overseas than in an already disinterested areas within the UK ?

Familiarity breeds contempt as they say , you are correct , the population of UK is aware of RL , but they just aren't interested , maybe we have more chance with those who aren't ?

Parky,

The big city thing isn't,and wasn't,my earlier point.

My point was followers of clubs are not restricted by a city/small town/village boundary.

In some sports,where a club becomes a 'brand' - or has success - a tragedy and worldwide publicity - the 'support' comes from a much larger area.

Not all the Liverpool and Tottenham followers,in Madrid,last week,were from Liverpool,and an area of north London.

I don't think all the St Helens followers and Leeds Rhinos followers are restricted to those areas. 

Not a fan of big cities myself.Apanthropy is my thing and,in this terrorist/riotous age,tall buildings made of glass,doesn't seem sensible.

Archived