An afternoon at Featherstone?

10 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

First time visit on Sunday for Fev vs. Bulls.

Now I know enough about Featherstone as a town, but what about the ground - where’s best to spectate from? Anywhere decent in the ground for a beer? 

Thanks all

Tbf its a nice little ground, the far seated side is pleasant enough in the sun. Away fans tend to be put on the left hand "end" as you enter iirc.

Get yourself in the Blue Lagoon (underneath the stand opposite the turnstiles where you’re likely to enter) for a pint and a gander at the finest collection of retro RL jerseys known to man. You’ll obviously need to get pie, peas and mint sauce (Yorkshire’s finest export) from the pie hut for sustenance en route though. 

when you go through the turnstyles  steps in front go up steps and you see  the terracing back of sticks post office road end to your left is main stand that joins onto clubhouse  opposite is the family stand next to it is a smaller new stand back of the sticks at railway end another new stand once you in the ground you can stand any wear and sit in any stand at no extra cost

for beer there's the clubhouse  and behind main stand and post office road beer huts not forgeting blue lagoon under family stand  also as you get inside to the right of the  turnstyles  a new fanzone selling  beer only problem no beer railway end

7 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

When you get there you will see two queues ... a long one and a short one.

Stand in the shorter queue as the long one is for the chippy!

Sorry, as a Cas fan I couldn’t resist the dig at our local rivals ?

Talking of Cas, what's the latest on the new ground? Our local bookie is giving shorter odds for HS2 to be completed first!!

Just now, Gooleboy said:

Talking of Cas, what's the latest on the new ground? Our local bookie is giving shorter odds for HS2 to be completed first!!

They're using the revolutionary new security technique of making development invisible so nowt can be nicked.

11 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Now I know enough about Featherstone as a town, but what about the ground - where’s best to spectate from? Anywhere decent in the ground for a beer? 

Thanks all

Away fans are usually in the seating at the railway end, or on the terraces in the corner nearest the turnstiles and fanzone, but you can sit or stand anywhere in the ground with your standard matchday ticket. Plenty of fans mix with the home crowd.

Should be a decent crowd. Looking forward to it!

10 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Some fine chippies in Fev Ian.  Small wonder the queue is huge.

You poor Cas lot can only gaze in wonder at what a decent stadium looks like, refurbished without the benefit of circa £2M a year in Sky money?

12 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Thanks all

If you like standing, then it's just the Post Office Road end, everywhere else is seating.  I prefer sitting on the far side. For a big game like this, the away fans usually congregate at the railway end.

As others have said, plenty of drink outlets.  Blue Lagoon under the far side stand is good and has a great collection of memorabilia. There's a bar behind the main stand, at the POR end and there's the fan zone near the main stand, which iirc has the widest selection of beer/lager/cider other than the clubhouse.

There's food behind the main stand and at the POR end.

Sometimes when the larger teams visit they put a  pop up bar on at the railway end.  Not sure if this will be in play on Sunday or not.

You can park in the club car park for £5, or if you're tight like me, there's loads of side streets off Station Lane that can be used.

Have a great day.

We will be on the short stretch of terrace downslope of the clubhouse stand. Always a good laugh.

You have be brave to play at Fev ... the floodlight stanchions are about a yard and a half from the touchline.

The thought invokes my memories of the stone wall at Underbank [shudders and breaks into a cold sweat]

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Some fine chippies in Fev Ian.  Small wonder the queue is huge.

You poor Cas lot can only gaze in wonder at what a decent stadium looks like, refurbished without the benefit of circa £2M a year in Sky money?

Ayup Dave, hope you are having a cracking day back in Blighty.

I agree that there are fine chippies in Fev and that the Cas ground is an atmospheric dump.

BTW Andy Shep posted on Facebook a couple of days ago that Council workmen had closed off part of Pontefract Road in Fev and the traffic lights weren’t working.  I don’t know what surprised more; that Fev had traffic lights or that Fev had electricity.  Wonders never cease. 

Look forward to your response but it is nearly bed time for me.

9 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Ayup Dave, hope you are having a cracking day back in Blighty.

I agree that there are fine chippies in Fev and that the Cas ground is an atmospheric dump.

BTW Andy Shep posted on Facebook a couple of days ago that Council workmen had closed off part of Pontefract Road in Fev and the traffic lights weren’t working.  I don’t know what surprised more; that Fev had traffic lights or that Fev had electricity.  Wonders never cease. 

Look forward to your response but it is nearly bed time for me.

Luckily, I'm sunning myself in Ibiza at the moment, but I understand that Ponte is looking delightful in the sunshine today?

Amazed you know what traffic lights are.  Isn't it still 1876 in Cas and everyone's running around on horses and carts?

Edit:  Remembered that you've been transported to the penal colonies.

16 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Well we won't tell him about your delightful ground lol ?

18 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Luckily, I'm sunning myself in Ibiza at the moment, but I understand that Ponte is looking delightful in the sunshine today?

Amazed you know what traffic lights are.  Isn't it still 1876 in Cas and everyone's running around on horses and carts?

Edit:  Remembered that you've been transported to the penal colonies.

?????????

Enjoy your jollies ☀️??

For fans of rugby league heritage, don't forget the blue plaque on the pub now called Last Orders but previously known as the Railway. It's on Station Lane near to the turn off to Post Office Road. The plaque commemorates the place where Featherstone Rovers were founded.

Once inside the ground, the clubhouse also hosts the hall of fame and the club shop has a display cabinet with interesting historical items.

With regards to chippies, my vote would go to the Marlborough on Pontefract Road near to the Junction pub.

For beer, drink in the clubhouse to help the club. But there will doubtless be better quality supping to be done elsewhere.....

Archived