An afternoon at Featherstone?

20 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Ayup Dave, hope you are having a cracking day back in Blighty.

I agree that there are fine chippies in Fev and that the Cas ground is an atmospheric dump.

BTW Andy Shep posted on Facebook a couple of days ago that Council workmen had closed off part of Pontefract Road in Fev and the traffic lights weren’t working.  I don’t know what surprised more; that Fev had traffic lights or that Fev had electricity.  Wonders never cease. 

Look forward to your response but it is nearly bed time for me.

you've got to understand the womenfolk take it in turns on a treadmill in purston park to generate the leccky ⚡ and the traffic lights are men on horseback waving flags  ?️???

On 23/05/2019 at 06:59, welshmagpie said:

Thanks for the messages everybody, here’s hoping for a good game and my union following father enjoys it - he’s usually pretty receptive to league when there’s beer involved 

forgot to mention it don't know if it's everywhere but tell your dad the beer hut back of sticks post office road end were selling beer in half pint, pint and two pint pots???

On 22/05/2019 at 23:03, POR said:

when you go through the turnstyles  steps in front go up steps and you see  the terracing back of sticks post office road end to your left is main stand that joins onto clubhouse  opposite is the family stand next to it is a smaller new stand back of the sticks at railway end another new stand once you in the ground you can stand any wear and sit in any stand at no extra cost

for beer there's the clubhouse  and behind main stand and post office road beer huts not forgeting blue lagoon under family stand  also as you get inside to the right of the  turnstyles  a new fanzone selling  beer only problem no beer railway end

"sit in any stand at no extra cost"? Why do I remember paying extra and having to stand in a (very) long queue to do so? Not complaining overmuch, it's quite normal to pay extra to have a seat but I'm certain we paid to transfer on previous visits. 

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

2 hours ago, Bulliac said:

"sit in any stand at no extra cost"? Why do I remember paying extra and having to stand in a (very) long queue to do so? Not complaining overmuch, it's quite normal to pay extra to have a seat but I'm certain we paid to transfer on previous visits. 

There has previously been a £2 charge to sit, however this was only for the Railway end stand, which as with all of the stands are open to fans of either side. This is no longer charged. HTH. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

3 hours ago, Bulliac said:

you were just unlucky the bradford game was the one were FEV opened the new stands they got from scarborough so in their wisdom the board decided to charge 2 pound for the privilege the charge was for all fans not just bradford fans but at the game you could sit in anyone of the other three stands for nowt after the game the club backtracked and decided not to charge anymore so since 2016 FEV have had unreserved seating in all four stands

welshmagpie - From your original post I'm not sure whether you are a Bulls fan or a general Rugby League fan of all clubs. If this is the case I would sit in the main stand, although the seats are much older than in the other three stands, but that is where the past and present players (even those visiting from other clubs) tend to gather, along with directors and players' wives, and maybe the odd minor celebrity? With it being the Peter Fox memorial game I wouldn't be surprised if you bump into Neil- in which case he wouldn't be offended if you approached him. If you can recognise them many of the former Fev players are approachable too, especially Ken Greatorex, who is one of the nicest men you would ever meet, and he's always got a story to tell about the good old days.

You are only a few yards from the clubhouse, and the public bar is free entry to all and literally covered with old pictures and press cuttings of the club's past achievements, along with the Hall of Fame. From there you will be able to watch the Magic Weekend Salford-Hull KR game before our match starts, a bit of the Leeds-London game at half-time and for 30 mins after ours finishes, and if you want to stay behind for the Cas-Saints game its up to you? You might pay a bit more per pint than the local pubs but if you've spent a lot on travel costs it's a drop in the ocean

12 hours ago, POR said:

you were just unlucky the bradford game was the one were FEV opened the new stands they got from scarborough so in their wisdom the board decided to charge 2 pound for the privilege the charge was for all fans not just bradford fans but at the game you could sit in anyone of the other three stands for nowt after the game the club backtracked and decided not to charge anymore so since 2016 FEV have had unreserved seating in all four stands

Cheers for that mate (and Gazza too). Still a bit surprised as I think most clubs (and definitely the Bulls) charge extra for a seat, could be missing a trick?

32 minutes ago, Bulliac said:

Cheers for that mate (and Gazza too). Still a bit surprised as I think most clubs (and definitely the Bulls) charge extra for a seat, could be missing a trick?

it's becuse FEV fans have always changed ends to stand behind sticks ROVERS attacking 

2 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

welshmagpie - From your original post I'm not sure whether you are a Bulls fan or a general Rugby League fan of all clubs. If this is the case I would sit in the main stand, although the seats are much older than in the other three stands, but that is where the past and present players (even those visiting from other clubs) tend to gather, along with directors and players' wives, and maybe the odd minor celebrity? With it being the Peter Fox memorial game I wouldn't be surprised if you bump into Neil- in which case he wouldn't be offended if you approached him. If you can recognise them many of the former Fev players are approachable too, especially Ken Greatorex, who is one of the nicest men you would ever meet, and he's always got a story to tell about the good old days.

You are only a few yards from the clubhouse, and the public bar is free entry to all and literally covered with old pictures and press cuttings of the club's past achievements, along with the Hall of Fame. From there you will be able to watch the Magic Weekend Salford-Hull KR game before our match starts, a bit of the Leeds-London game at half-time and for 30 mins after ours finishes, and if you want to stay behind for the Cas-Saints game its up to you? You might pay a bit more per pint than the local pubs but if you've spent a lot on travel costs it's a drop in the ocean

Thanks Steve, I generally support all things Welsh rugby league. So this is a game for me as a neutral, same for my father.

In fairness I think he’d most enjoy the terraced end - he’s used to watching rugby whilst standing.

But thank you for the suggestion. 

One way of looking at it is that Fev are a bit out of step with other clubs or 'missing a trick' compared to those who charge extra for sitting down. Those clubs run out-of-date stadiums where standing is the norm and seating is at a premium.

However, lots of sports clubs, including Featherstone Rovers and all premier league soccer clubs have moved on from the 70s and 80s and accept that these days folk expect to sit down when they pay in to watch a sports event.

Rovers have the added advantage of still offering standing room for those who prefer it.

Post Office Road. The best of both worlds.

Enjoy the game everyone.

23 hours ago, POR said:

it's becuse FEV fans have always changed ends to stand behind sticks ROVERS attacking 

Ah, the traditional way of watching sport. Always used to do that when I was younger, though not for years, mostly due to circumstances. Not possible at our ground, of course nor at many others, mainly due to all seating with separate stands or, nowadays, my unwillingness to be bothered with doing it! 

Well what a fantastic day put we had, a huge thank you to Featherstone for their hospitality.

First half we stood with Fev fans behind the posts and had a great time, a cracking family orientated bunch who didn’t pick up on the Welsh accent.

Second half Bradford came down en mass to ‘our’ end and were admittedly a lot more chart, specifically about all things Iestyn Harris, Rhys Evans and Cobi Green. Maybe the full time score pulled toward their more off field chat.

After the game, straight into the legends suite which was packed. The old fella enjoyed a few more pints and a great chat with Dale Ferguson, who strongly considered his offer of a Rugby union contract in South Wales (3 pints, food and a free taxi).

an all round great day. Thanks to Featherstone as a club and also the Bradford fans, especially a fella called Graham - great chat and banter throughout.

7 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Well what a fantastic day put we had, a huge thank you to Featherstone for their hospitality.

First half we stood with Fev fans behind the posts and had a great time, a cracking family orientated bunch who didn’t pick up on the Welsh accent.

Second half Bradford came down en mass to ‘our’ end and were admittedly a lot more chart, specifically about all things Iestyn Harris, Rhys Evans and Cobi Green. Maybe the full time score pulled toward their more off field chat.

After the game, straight into the legends suite which was packed. The old fella enjoyed a few more pints and a great chat with Dale Ferguson, who strongly considered his offer of a Rugby union contract in South Wales (3 pints, food and a free taxi).

an all round great day. Thanks to Featherstone as a club and also the Bradford fans, especially a fella called Graham - great chat and banter throughout.

Glad you enjoyed your visit. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 23/05/2019 at 10:10, hrtbps said:

Away fans are usually in the seating at the railway end, or on the terraces in the corner nearest the turnstiles and fanzone, but you can sit or stand anywhere in the ground with your standard matchday ticket. Plenty of fans mix with the home crowd.

Should be a decent crowd. Looking forward to it!

I was disappointed with the crowd, what happened.

Archived