International League: Canada US GB and France and ?

With all this talk of Canadian / US  RL expansion,  now also with Vancouver mentioned, could we have the seeds of an international competition to include more French and European teams. Maybe even Australia and NZ.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/rugby/english-rugby-league-ottawa-1.5142569

Suddenly the entrepreneurial spirit of backers and crowds are evolving away from the flatcaps with new ideas. What do you think ?  

With Ottawa coming in either next year or the year after, there should be a plan (I know, almost unheard of in RL) to try and fast track Canada, at least, over the next 5 years from an International perspective.

Between Ottawa looking to draft local talent, the existing player base between the Canadian Rugby League and Rugby Unions, the many eligible players plying their trades already in Australia or the UK, and those who will eventually qualify based upon residency after 5 years, there is a path to making a competitive team, provided a framework is put in place.

If a proper calendar was put together over the next 5-10 years for Canada, starting with first the likes of the Knights, France or other Home Nations visiting regularly (or Canada travelling over to play them), then relatively quickly the Wolverines could be turned into a competitive side. 

Naturally of course, we'd actually have to put into action a plan and stick to it... maybe if we had some more foresight, we could have gotten the Wolfpack and Ottawa to help underwrite it (ie. Condition of your License, is you must underwrite one home international for Canada at your venue, including travel costs for a Tier 2 opponent outside of the Americas)

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Canada shows a lot of promise.  And there are plenty of quality players to compliment from Australia and NZ 

For me, Canada shows signs of a younger market developing interest.  

7 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

we'd actually have to put into action a plan and stick to it...

What are the odds ? I wonder if BetFred will give us a piece of the action and where will Parky's smart money go?

Bet responsibly and when the fun stops stop!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

9 hours ago, Snowman123 said:

With all this talk of Canadian / US  RL expansion,  now also with Vancouver mentioned, could we have the seeds of an international competition to include more French and European teams. Maybe even Australia and NZ.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/rugby/english-rugby-league-ottawa-1.5142569

Suddenly the entrepreneurial spirit of backers and crowds are evolving away from the flatcaps with new ideas. What do you think ?  

I think we (Wales) should be playing all the trans-atlantic teams, why not Ireland, Scotland and France too. The existing four nations set up is a bit twee. 

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

What are the odds ? I wonder if BetFred will give us a piece of the action and where will Parky's smart money go?

Bet responsibly and when the fun stops stop!

If parky had taken that advice he would be in a clinic in Switzerland.. judging by his posts he isnt having ANY fun.. ever.. in anything.. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Whatever happened to Red Star Belgrade’s application? Was it legit or was it just to make them sound a bit better during their spell in the Challenge Cup? 

I believe, but may be wrong, that it was more of a "this is our aim come and tell us how close we are and what we need to do" type reach out than a "this is our application". I get the feeling they need a few blocks to be put in place first, funding etc and then they may have a dig.. remembering that the Candadians etc are paying travel etc and I would guess Red Star would struggle they will have to put a different sort of case together and this will take some work.

Archived