Maurice Bamford

Vdery sad news. A truly iconic figure in RL, in fact one of the characters of old that are sadly lacking in today's game.

RIP Maurice.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Crown Flatter said:

It is indeed sad news. He may have coached our club, but I can remember him playing for us too. 

Great days under Maurice.  How sad. 

Some of my best memories were wins under Maurice Bamford. Beating 1st Division Wakefield 18-17 in the Yorkshire Cup, some miracle comebacks - think we were 28-6 down to Rochdale at HT and won 34-32 or similar. Drawing away at St Helens - some of the players Dennis Trembath, Marquis Charles, Dean Hall

1 hour ago, Reverend Ram said:

Happy days and happy memories- God bless you Maurice

Beans means Maurice. RIP mate.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

I was talking to someone the other day about Maurice Bamford....... Recalling how, as an eleven year old, I went to a Saturday morning training session at Saville Town which Maurice headed up......... He asked the question "What does practice make?" and we all, of course, replied "Perfect".......... "Wrong !!" he snarled at us -- "PERFECT practice makes perfect..........If you're doing it wrong, there's no point keep doing it wrong"........... Always remembered that and tried to apply it in different ways through my life.

Sadly, the last time I saw him, he was greeting people at ASDA Morley, trying to entice them to buy wine.........that was after his days as GB Coach, TV commentator and Head Coach at a number of clubs....... Believe he was our Assistant Coach in 72/73 as well.

Great guy -- R I P Sir

• 1 year later...

I remember throwing a wet sponge at him on the bench because he wouldn't let me take Neil Kelly off who I thought may have broken his arm, he had. I had respect for Bamford a man with a genuine love for the game. He must have also had some respect for me because he asked me to go to Bramely when he went to coach there in 1993 which I did. One of the lost characters of the game.

1 hour ago, PenelopeT said:

I remember throwing a wet sponge at him on the bench because he wouldn't let me take Neil Kelly off who I thought may have broken his arm, he had. I had respect for Bamford a man with a genuine love for the game. He must have also had some respect for me because he asked me to go to Bramely when he went to coach there in 1993 which I did. One of the lost characters of the game.

Blonde penny the physio?? 

3 hours ago, coolie said:

Blonde penny the physio?? 

Good job you spelt the last bit right, I had visions of Glen Close running on to the pitch...

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Archived