If Leeds Finish Bottom (or London for that matter)

Apologies if this has already been covered. I couldn't see that it has.

If Leeds continue in what looks to be a huge struggle for them, and they finish bottom - do you think the SL and The RFL will stop this happening?

London, also, having only just made it back to SL, and people believing we need a successful London team in the comp (I am one of those btw)

With Toronto and Toulouse sitting 1st and 2nd, could the authorities be justified in promoting both these teams to make the numbers up to 14, ditch the stupid loop fixtures, and provide expansion, and security for 2 big name teams?

How would you fans feel about this?

Im not overly keen on overriding the promotion and relegation set up. However, personally I believe it would be smart to protect Leeds and London, and promote 2 expansion teams, in Toulouse and Toronto.

Thoughts?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would tend to agree with you. As ever it comes down to money. 14 is just a much better number. Home and away + Magic = 27 games. 

Not really in favour of keeping them up just cos they are London and Leeds though. HKR (or anyone else), I would feel the same. There hasn't been a team utterly out of their depth in SL this season. 

Toronto clearly have a decent squad already, and the money to compete. They wouldn't be the worst supported team either...

A case could be made for the 2nd placed team too. Toulouse, Bradford, York, Leigh, Fax or Fev. Widnes too, though that looks implausible now.

Sheffield not so sure.

I would only be content though if it were earned on the field. Don't want franchises, or just chucking Bradford up too early cos they bring away fans. Or Toulouse, because expansion. Or York cos they have a new stadium and is a nice place to visit, etc, etc.

However. There is a possibility now of a competitive 14 team league. I reckon we should grab it.

The drop from 14 teams to 12 was presented as a quality issue at the time, but it was purely an austerity measure. The sooner we get back to 14 teams (whomever they are) and scrap the awful loop fixtures, the better. As above, 26 games plus magic.

When the SL reduced down to 12 the 2 shares of the overall SL funding was used to provide parachute payments to cover relegation and an increase in funding for the remaining clubs. If you remember, recently a number of SL clubs were looking to reduce their numbers to 10, presumably with a view to again increasing payments to the remainder. Unless there has been a massive turn around in the view of the various chairmen I would suggest that the notion of reducing each club’s funding isn’t likely to gain much traction unless there are identifiable additional income streams available or the 2 new clubs are self funding. So, much as I’d like to see a 14 club competition, I doubt it will happen, especially when there is likely to be an increase in the salary cap.

I also doubt that Leeds will be relegated even if they finish bottom, not so dure about London though as RL has been trying too long to make London a success, and failed. So I think that London will be relegated if they finish bottom.

3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Why would Super League, the very body Gary Heatherington was very much against this time last year, try and keep Leeds up if they were relegated? 

Because the SL brand, the sport and the fans would be so much poorer without them.

23 minutes ago, TBone said:

When the SL reduced down to 12 the 2 shares of the overall SL funding was used to provide parachute payments to cover relegation and an increase in funding for the remaining clubs. If you remember, recently a number of SL clubs were looking to reduce their numbers to 10, presumably with a view to again increasing payments to the remainder. Unless there has been a massive turn around in the view of the various chairmen I would suggest that the notion of reducing each club’s funding isn’t likely to gain much traction unless there are identifiable additional income streams available or the 2 new clubs are self funding. So, much as I’d like to see a 14 club competition, I doubt it will happen, especially when there is likely to be an increase in the salary cap.

I also doubt that Leeds will be relegated even if they finish bottom, not so dure about London though as RL has been trying too long to make London a success, and failed. So I think that London will be relegated if they finish bottom.

The rules as far as i know at the moment state that the club finishes bottom of Super League gets relegated. Now would we as game be setting a dangerous precedent if Leeds finished bottom this season and they didn't get relegated as they are a so called big club, but next year relegated London or Hull KR if either finish bottom because they wouldn't be classed as a big club?

17 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

They say we're young and we don't know
We won't find out until we grow
Well I don't know if all that's true
'Cause you got me, and baby I got you etc. etc.

Been listening your 'Greatest Hits of Sonny and Cher' LP again DP ?  ?

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

8 hours ago, The British Lion said:

If Leeds continue in what looks to be a huge struggle for them, and they finish bottom - do you think the SL and The RFL will stop this happening?

London, also, having only just made it back to SL, and people believing we need a successful London team in the comp (I am one of those btw)

With Toronto and Toulouse sitting 1st and 2nd, could the authorities be justified in promoting both these teams to make the numbers up to 14, ditch the stupid loop fixtures, and provide expansion, and security for 2 big name teams?

Im not overly keen on overriding the promotion and relegation set up. However, personally I believe it would be smart to protect Leeds and London, and promote 2 expansion teams, in Toulouse and Toronto.

Thoughts?

I personally think SL could do anything they like.  The RFL have become a weak organisation who, I doubt, would influence their decisions much at all, but the agreed promotion relegation rule for this year will stay and let’s be fair, HKR could also come into this mix who bring more to the coffers of other SL clubs than TO will.  

The bigger name will end up being TWP imo.  Whether Ottawa gets into the mix is still to be proven, but these clubs are making efforts to be in SL.  Nothing else.

So, 14 or even 16 wouldn’t be an issue for me.  Some work would have to be done on that structure too.  TWP could quite easily have been in the mix with the LB, Leeds & HKR if they’d have gone up last year.  

Magic, or whatever it was, might have to change and the lower league might do to.  The loop things don’t do it for me.  

The only reason other SL clubs would look to save Leeds is the impact them not being there could have on the value of the upcoming TV deal negotiations. I don't think there are any Leeds fans who would welcome such a move, and I'm not sure even some at the club would want it.

9 hours ago, The British Lion said:

Thoughts?

Excellent idea....truly excellent

16 minutes ago, M j M said:

I don't think there are any Leeds fans who would welcome such a move, and I'm not sure even some at the club would want it.

You have to be joking? There won't be a Whinos fan in the world who'll want to go down never mind anyone at the club....they'd lose the sky money for a start and probably default on the high interest loans for the stadium 

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The rules as far as i know at the moment state that the club finishes bottom of Super League gets relegated. Now would we as game be setting a dangerous precedent if Leeds finished bottom this season and they didn't get relegated as they are a so called big club, but next year relegated London or Hull KR if either finish bottom because they wouldn't be classed as a big club?

I don’t disagree but it isn’t as if the RFL are known to always stick with the rules through to the end of the season is it? Last season they changed the Championship and L1 promotion/relegation system about 4 or 5 weeks before the end of the season! But, even though I think they should go down if bottom, I think SL will pull some stunt or other to try and avoid it, e.g. re-introduce a million pound game, or maybe offer the promoted club the parachute payment instead (probably wouldn’t work with TWP but others may be tempted)...

9 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You have to be joking? There won't be a Whinos fan in the world who'll want to go down never mind anyone at the club....they'd lose the sky money for a start and probably default on the high interest loans for the stadium  

Leeds aren't likely to go bust with relegation, as long as we make a speedy return (and even if we don't the owner would have to put some money in, which they would do to at the very least protect the value of their investment).

Don't know about "a Whinos fan in the world" but I know a few Leeds fans and being saved by off field machinations is not palatable.

14 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Cant believe anyone old enough to have access to a forum is immature enough to use Whinos, primary school levels of insults.

Especially a stinkcos fan...Did i do it right? Im new to this no holds barred level of name calling, hope i havnt overstepped the mark

4 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Cant believe anyone old enough to have access to a forum is immature enough to use Whinos, primary school levels of insults.

Especially a stinkcos fan...Did i do it right? Im new to this no holds barred level of name calling, hope i havnt overstepped the mark

You realise that's a whine?

Happy with the Stinkcos moniker....sing it loud tommorow because I'm more than confident we're turning Leeds over....I'm also confident while there is only a few of us Broncos going to be there there will be a lot of other fans roaring Abdul to kick Leeds to bits or Dicko to run an 80m blinder

Why not just give the Championship a higher profile? Last week's Summer Bash emphasised what a fantastic competition it has been over the last few years, which deserves more TV coverage. After all, if the North American invasion continues and becomes a success, even more long-standing Super League clubs will end up there! 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

He's Robert Elstone and he does what he wants....he does what he wants

I think that quote actually came from a TV programme called Red Riding on serial murders.  The police commander said:

“We’re from Yorkshire and we do what we want.”

Wonder if he’d get done for plagiarism?

Archived