Drinks while watching/listening to the match: Updates

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First half of Sinners v Cas a Duvel Triple Hop pale ale.

Second half switched to a New Zealand Brancot Estate Marlborough sauvignon  blanc.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 minutes ago, Padge said:

First half of Sinners v Cas a Duvel Triple Hop pale ale.

Second half switched to a New Zealand Brancot Estate Marlborough sauvignon  blanc.

That’s quite a switch ?

My three norms as accompaniment to watching sport on TV are:-

1. Perry, usually made by Weston's of Much Marcle.
  2. draught beer from the range on sale directly from Downton Brewery - £10 for a four-pint container, which will go flat if not drunk within about 30 to 36 hours (so two pints one night and two the next).
  3. Red wine from a wine box (Hardy's from Tesco is as good as any, in my experience).

That isn't necessarily in priority order, and I don't (usually!) mix them on the same night.

I did once ask on this forum if anybody knew if the wine from David Ferriol's vineyard was on sale in this country (and if so, where), but I don't think anybody did

43 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

2. draught beer from the range on sale directly from Downton Brewery - £10 for a four-pint container, which will go flat if not drunk within about 30 to 36 hours (so two pints one night and two the next).
  3. Red wine from a wine box (Hardy's from Tesco is as good as any, in my experience).

That isn't necessarily in priority order, and I don't (usually!) mix them on the same night.

I did once ask on this forum if anybody knew if the wine from David Ferriol's vineyard was on sale in this country (and if so, where), but I don't think anybody did

Just had a quick search, and I don't think he sells in the UK.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Just had a quick search, and I don't think he sells in the UK.

Thanks for trying, Futtocks.  I couldn't find anything either, but my search skills are very probably inferior to yours so I much appreciate your effort.  I think I once saw him being interviewed, as post-Dracs life was beckoning, and he said it would be good to sell his vineyard's wines on this side of La Manche, but he probably has had other priorities.

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks for trying, Futtocks.  I couldn't find anything either, but my search skills are very probably inferior to yours so I much appreciate your effort.  I think I once saw him being interviewed, as post-Dracs life was beckoning, and he said it would be good to sell his vineyard's wines on this side of La Manche, but he probably has had other priorities.

Vivino list three wines of his, but say they are not currently on sale. Whether that just means from them, or not available anywhere, I don't know.

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/david-ferriol 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 25/05/2019 at 21:45, deluded pom? said:

In a similar vein I’m looking at getting some beers in for the 2021 WC (yes, I know it’s a way off). The intention is to get some bottles or cans from each of the competing nations. It has to have been brewed in the nation though. None of this brewed in the UK under licence rubbish. I’m already struggling to source any SP in the U.K. ? 

May I suggest Glamorgan Pale Ale for your choice for Wales?

On 25/05/2019 at 21:45, deluded pom? said:

In a similar vein I’m looking at getting some beers in for the 2021 WC (yes, I know it’s a way off). The intention is to get some bottles or cans from each of the competing nations. It has to have been brewed in the nation though. None of this brewed in the UK under licence rubbish. I’m already struggling to source any SP in the U.K. ? 

I like the idea of building up a beer collection for the world cup, and 2021 gives a reasonable time frame. The SP regular beers looked like they may be a little ordinary, but apparently they also brew Niugine Gold Extra Stout at 8%, which sounds particularly interesting. 

Edit: Blast - it looks as though it's been retired.

34 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

I like the idea of building up a beer collection for the world cup, and 2021 gives a reasonable time frame. The SP regular beers looked like they may be a little ordinary, but apparently they also brew Niugine Gold Extra Stout at 8%, which sounds particularly interesting. 

Edit: Blast - it looks as though it's been retired.

Any idea where I could get any PNG beers from in the U.K.?

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I work for a large wine supplier in Ireland, if you give me the name of the wine you're looking for I can see if we stock it.

37 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Any idea where I could get any PNG beers from in the U.K.?

And Tonga etc. This could be tricky...

Easier than the Cricket World Cup, which includes two religiously boozophobic countries, though,

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Benson87 said:

I work for a large wine supplier in Ireland, if you give me the name of the wine you're looking for I can see if we stock it.

Thanks, Benson87, that's kind of you.  The best information is via the link, kindly provided by Futtocks about eight posts above this one.

On 26/05/2019 at 16:59, Cheshire Setter said:

The missus has been kind enough to make me a homemade Thai curry to eat on my knee while I watch the game:

? Lucky guy, you are blessed indeed. ? 

??

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:
n 25/05/2019 at 22:36, Sports Prophet said:

Tap water that makes you hallucinate. 

You should bottle it!

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Del boy beat me to it!

Next year Goosey, we will all be millionaires. Lovely Jubbly !

image.jpeg.67d102dcda9571f6c1b47e9ee7e1dd12.jpeg

Archived