Magic attendance

9 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Just over 8k average per game (if my maths are about right), which is not really that impressive. More than some clubs get on average, but not all, and for this type of event it should be much more.

Liverpool isn't the problem, it's the failure from those in charge (the RFL previously, and now the SL and its clubs) to grow the event and improve the experience year on year. The fact that there's not been any real growth since the first one in Cardiff speaks volumes.

I'm a big fan of the concept, but like the Challenge cup, we don't have the creativity to improve the event and really do it justice.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

We do the game a disservice if we deem Liverpool MW a success

Genuine question - is it a failure then?

Seems middle of the road to me.

Factor in Nou Camp and any impact on Wigan fans, London being there and the match making - I would say it has been fair enough.

12 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Genuine question - is it a failure then?

Seems middle of the road to me.

Factor in Nou Camp and any impact on Wigan fans, London being there and the match making - I would say it has been fair enough.

Yeah I think it was a flop, actually. Getting 50k or so for six games very near the heartlands is pretty poor. Liverpool is not the place for it and it will be no better if Magic is at Anfield again next year.

And I wonder how it looked to non-RL diehards. The one game of the weekend on SS Main Event (I think), Saints v Cas, was devoid of a decent crowd and atmosphere. 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Yeah I think it was a flop, actually. Getting 50k or so for six games very near the heartlands is pretty poor. Liverpool is not the place for it and it will be no better if Magic is at Anfield again next year.

And I wonder how it looked to non-RL diehards. The one game of the weekend on SS Main Event (I think), Saints v Cas, was devoid of a decent crowd and atmosphere. 

Well, if Sky could ever work out how to put a camera on a gantry facing the busy bit it would help.

Even with Leeds building a new stand they couldn't manage it, and that is a purpose built RL ground.

Mind you - not sure Magic has ever looked full and, at best, 8k more over the weekend would only have added 4k fans per day, assuming all of those sat in their seat all day.

8 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Very disappointing crowds. Fans rattling around in that stadium with no atmosphere. 

The concept is done for me.

Time to look for a new idea. 

I think it definitely has a place, lots of fans go and enjoy it. Its just on this occasion, due to the location, stadium itself, and the fixtures, a decent number of fans have voted with their feet. 

St James', Etihad and Millennium also work because of how their tiers line up at etihad only one was fully shut, at St James' we had the whole lower bowl with the upper stands barely noticeable in terms of atmosphere, Millenum has another good configuration. I really think this isn't a problem with magic at all, or even Liverpool, purely the venue that fans have been to and not liked before.

For me, the concept still has plenty of mileage. 

Is it a jolly? An away day for fans? if so 30k-40k (depending on whose playing and where) over two days won't change, not in the positive anyway. It's a SL event for fans of SL clubs.

if it's an event to showcase the game and grow the fan base around the country and break into new markets, attract new partnerships and increase the visibility of the game, it needs a genuine strategy with year on year growth plans and proper investment to achieve those plans.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

22 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Great weekend.

Great stadium

Great tries

Great Games

Great moaning

I didn’t go simply because I had family commitments. It’s only the third one I’ve missed. Watched all 6 games on TV and really enjoyed it. Wherever it is next year I intend to be there. There was an awful lot of negative posting from a number of people who should know better. I find it difficult to work out how some of these people think they are doing the game a service.

36 minutes ago, Teessidewire said:

I didn’t go simply because I had family commitments. It’s only the third one I’ve missed. Watched all 6 games on TV and really enjoyed it. Wherever it is next year I intend to be there. There was an awful lot of negative posting from a number of people who should know better. I find it difficult to work out how some of these people think they are doing the game a service.

Spot on.

While it always needs subtle re jigging the event has plenty of miles left in the tank for my money, that said for ,e the problem was at Anfield at least it lacked that "day out" feeling you get at say Cardiff or Newcastle.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

Well, if Sky could ever work out how to put a camera on a gantry facing the busy bit it would help. 

Even with Leeds building a new stand they couldn't manage it, and that is a purpose built RL ground. 

Mind you - not sure Magic has ever looked full and, at best, 8k more over the weekend would only have added 4k fans per day, assuming all of those sat in their seat all day. 

Do you ever post anything grounded in reality? You don't move the gantry to face the fans, you sell tickets for the TV arc. If SL had any idea what they were doing they would have done this, like the RFL have done before (to some criticism at certain events if I recall).

Have you any idea how TV works? At Headingley Sky's trucks take up half the South Stand car park, it's physically impossible for them to have moved it, even if the north stand had any power during the build.

15 hours ago, yipyee said:

The combined home attendances would be the same if not higher than 30k

Hull average over 10k a game

Wigan would get 14-16 for s Warrington game and 18-20 if both teams were playing well and it was not a Thursday night.

And Wakey get 5-6k.

The reverse you fail to mention Catalan who get 9k every home game at this time of year and got 31500 at last week's home game. This Catalan home game single handed beat the combined total yesterday

Outside of matches against St Helens, Wigan hasn't draw a home crowd much above 13K in quite a few years, so not sure where your 18K-20K is coming from, especially as this is the third time the teams have met this year and Wigan is having an average season.

Arguably if Wigan was having a good year the crowd at Anfield would have been greater than 30K as well. 

Wakefield's best against Catalans recently is 5,065, whilst outside of last year's season opener against the Giants, Hull usually gets around 9K-10K.

As for your comments about Catalans, I don't name the Catalans because Magic is clearly being held in the UK, not France or even Spain or Italy where it is easier for their fans to travel to. This isn't like the other 5 clubs who took part who all had fans who could do the round trip in the day by car quite easily.

Even if we take Catalans most recent home crowd against Wakefield, the combined aggregate isn't much above 30K (Wakefield gets around 8K in Perpignan).

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

55 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If it’s going to stay at Anfield then there has to be a reason for fans to attend other than a round of fixtures or crowds will continue to fall as more stay at home and watch it on TV. Where’s the selling point?

That should have been the attitude for every year of its existence, regardless of where it's played.

Sadly such collective thinking has always been hard to come by in RL.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

That should have been the attitude for every year of its existence, regardless of where it's played.

Sadly such collective thinking has always been hard to come by in RL.

An example I like to use is the V8 Supercars event held in Adelaide every year. It started as a replacement event when Adelaide lost the F1 to Melbourne, they made it the season opener. Over the years they have gradually expanded the event adding extra things in and around the event, one highlight being a concert at the track on the Saturday night.

If you look at the first event over 20 years ago and compare it to now, they actually get much larger crowds now than what attended the F1. This year the Saturday night concert was Red Hot Chilli Peppers and the event is now a must attend for V8 fans (Attendance is over 200k for the weekend). The main thing they have done is make gradual improvements every year to build it to where it is now, if you stand still nothing will change and people will get sick of the exact same experience every year.

Been to everyone, tried to book hotels in January and could not get one anywhere, nearest was 20 miles away. That was 4 of us not going and we all watched at home. Talked to a guy in my local club who has been to everyone also, 'I can't get hotels either so watching at home', another said they weren't going as the seats were awful and as there was little to do around the stadium they did not fancy being cramped up for 2 days.

I am sure many others stayed away for similar reasons

The concept is not dead, you don't lose 8k fans in one year, the venue is firmly to blame, having it the same weekend as a marathon that attracts 20,000 people is utterly bizarre, it goes beyond any logic.

40 minutes ago, rleaguer said:

The concept is not dead, you don't lose 8k fans in one year, the venue is firmly to blame, having it the same weekend as a marathon that attracts 20,000 people is utterly bizarre, it goes beyond any logic.

As some fans go to both days, I don't get how we know the number of fans that were 'lost'. It would have been thousands though.

Trying not to clash with other events would be helpful, especially if the other event have already booked their date and RL is doing so afterward. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Whilst Liverpool doesn't have a suitable stadium then it is! 

7 hours ago, Pie tries said:

Great weekend.

Great stadium

Great tries

Great Games

Great moaning

One man's meat ......

"Great moaning ..."  to be fair they've had a fair amount of practice as I'm certain it doesn't come naturally to their sunny dispositions.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

9 hours ago, solly said:

So an average Magic Weekend attendance of 30,000+ for heartland-type areas is good but 26,000 for a non-rugby league area is bad?

The depressing ability of rugby league fans to only see backwards is a problem.... 

image.png.129bc47c95218299a760cb5ac0ff57c8.png I don't think they're convinced about this, though.

8 minutes ago, Oxford said:

image.png.129bc47c95218299a760cb5ac0ff57c8.png I don't think they're convinced about this, though.

The one common thing that I find on here (also on the Aus forums regarding the NRL Magic Round), most of the negative comments come from people who didn't attend. Get on social media and you'll find endless positive comments and photos from people who actually attended. I went to Magic Round in Brisbane and had a absolute blast, even the usual negative journo's were saying how great it was. There was minimal negativity about the event, until you start reading the RL forums and apparently the whole thing was a disaster according to some and should be scrapped.

5 minutes ago, Balmain1969 said:

the whole thing was a disaster according to some and should be scrapped.

And it certainly wouldn't be alone, in that.

Archived