Your Magic Weekend Experiences

Okay, this isn't the thread to pick at old scabs over some real (and many many more imagined) injustices on the pitch (a faint hope, I know).

Whether you followed it on radio, TV or in the flesh, how did you feel it went? What was travel to/from Anfield like? What was the fan experience outside the stadium? Any good local pubs, and how much is a pint? Did you find yourself talking to someone who wasn't a RL fan, but came out of curiosity?

Having followed it from the sofa, I didn't get a lot of feel for the experience outside the actual games.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Enjoyed watching on telly box, atmos came across great in sat, less so on sunday. Soem cracking games, some scrappy and some lop sided but enjoyed wall to wall rugby league with decent amount of time to discus and analyse between games. Magic is a very important property for league, still think it should rotate between cardiff, newcastle and heartlands.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

I noticed that there was a lot of references to "a festival of rugby league"  going on, I suspect a rename and revamp on the way with possibly more things going on in the future.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Cracking weekend and Anfield has much to offer (apart from the legroom!). I must say, despite being very dubious about the venue, I warmed to it very easily and would not be too disappointed to see it return. I really didn’t think I’d be saying that.  Still prefer Newcastle and Cardiff.

The exhibiting of PDRL and LDRL in particular was superb to see. 

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Okay, this isn't the thread to pick at old scabs over some real (and many many more imagined) injustices on the pitch (a faint hope, I know).

Whether you followed it on radio, TV or in the flesh, how did you feel it went? What was travel to/from Anfield like? What was the fan experience outside the stadium? Any good local pubs, and how much is a pint? Did you find yourself talking to someone who wasn't a RL fan, but came out of curiosity?

Having followed it from the sofa, I didn't get a lot of feel for the experience outside the actual games.

For me it was fantastic - I loved the stadium and the concerns about transport etc were unfounded....was easy in and out

Atmosphere was amazing for the London game and all the fans I spoke to from other sides were great fun. Staff very friendly and helpful and let me switch ends for free

The area around the stadium is a bit run down but most of the pubs were adequate

Big thumbs up from me....especially as it's much nearer than Newcastle!

IMG_20190526_171955.jpg

Ok for me, the ground was fine, even though the Anfield road stand isn't the best, the area around the stadium.is awful, but the organisation was a let down for me.

Firstly, trying to get to Anfield from the centre, it took an hour, from waiting for a bus to it actually getting to Anfield, then getting back afterwards wasn't exactly easy, no one from the bus company knew when or where buses were running, so there was hundreds of people all confused, we set off walking and managed 30 minutes before we hailed a taxi.

Not to mention the kiosks ran out of beer and food during the 2nd game on the Saturday and also ran out twice more during the Warrington-Wigan game.

The train back was uncomfortably full and cramped and not very pleasant.

I don't think I'll be going back to Anfield anytime soon.

Getting there wasn't a problem for me as it took about half an hour to get there from my house. Atmosphere was great amongst the Hull KR fans and after that everyone was firmly behind London. The Castleford fans made plenty of noise throughout the last game, especially throughout the whole second half and there was also the smoke from whatever it was that was set off which prompted all the stewards to go to them.

All in all though I would go there again.

Easy access, seat in anfield road lower a nightmare, my own club ( Warrington) fans a nightmare ,smoke bombs ,drunk, not a family atmosphere.  Will still go to Anfield next year but in the side stands with better seats.

7 hours ago, meast said:

Ok for me, the ground was fine, even though the Anfield road stand isn't the best, the area around the stadium.is awful, but the organisation was a let down for me.

Firstly, trying to get to Anfield from the centre, it took an hour, from waiting for a bus to it actually getting to Anfield, then getting back afterwards wasn't exactly easy, no one from the bus company knew when or where buses were running, so there was hundreds of people all confused, we set off walking and managed 30 minutes before we hailed a taxi.

Not to mention the kiosks ran out of beer and food during the 2nd game on the Saturday and also ran out twice more during the Warrington-Wigan game.

Obviously affects the boozing but I drove and parking / getting in and out was a dream....good for the liver too ?

It was easy getting in and out on the Saturday, very luckily found some free parking 200m from the ground so avoided the usual vultures which was a good start, £10 seemed the standard charge.

Been to both the Anfield internationals previously but this time I had more opportunity to walk around the ground and take a good look at the area.

There are a few a few pubs and food outlets nearby which weren't overly busy and provided sufficient alternatives to the stadium fare. Drink/food zone seemed ok and popular, plus a trailer selling club shirts, but there wasn't much of a fan zone compared to other Magic weekends.

Atmosphere outside the ground was generally pleasant and relaxed, watched a bit of the PDRL on the park then popped into the official bar for a drink, where there were was a decent range of drinks, quick service and plenty of TV screens showing the matches.

Thought the staff both in and out of the stadium were all excellent, from bar staff to stewards. All were polite, professional, friendly and seemed to be enjoying the day, far better than my experience with the dour staff at a number of RL and other soccer grounds. Certainly a step up from Old Tafford, although appreciate that's a different type of  event.

We were on the Kop and although a (very) small number of both Wigan and Wire fans were rather embarassing in their behaviour (combination of alcohol/miserable sods) and Wakefield supporters seem incapable of sitting down for more than 5 minutes, the vast majority of people were clearly enjoying themselves and this contributed to a good atmosphere comparable to other Magic events. Must praise the Hull fans who stayed behind after their game and seemed to be in a state of Zen despite their on field disaster.

The seats on the Kop are considerably better than the truly awful Dalgleish stand we were subjected to last year, but still a little cramped, decent view however.

Overall I'd give the day a 7 out of 10. For me it's on a par with the Eithad (a better stadium but staff practically strip search you looking for a crumb of food) and ahead of Edinburgh (poor location), but behind Cardiff and Newcastle. If it's at Anfield next year I'll go again, maybe for both days dependent on the fixtures.

Been to every Magic and Newcastle remains my favourite, do like the idea of Tottenham though. If it's in Europe I'd hold it in France and not Barcelona, as that's where we have existing fans who never get to see a big RL event and there are multiple flight options. Maybe have 2 triple headers in Toulouse/Perpignan on consecutive days.

27 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Overall I'd give the day a 7 out of 10. For me it's on a par with the Eithad (a better stadium but staff practically strip search you looking for a crumb of food) and ahead of Edinburgh (poor location), but behind Cardiff and Newcastle. If it's at Anfield next year I'll go again, maybe for both days dependent on the fixtures.

Been to every Magic and Newcastle remains my favourite, do like the idea of Tottenham though. If it's in Europe I'd hold it in France and not Barcelona, as that's where we have existing fans who never get to see a big RL event and there are multiple flight options. Maybe have 2 triple headers in Toulouse/Perpignan on consecutive days.

Ah, you saved me a job. Agree on these bits. 

6 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Easy access, seat in anfield road lower a nightmare, my own club ( Warrington) fans a nightmare ,smoke bombs ,drunk, not a family atmosphere.  Will still go to Anfield next year but in the side stands with better seats.

Interesting point. If everyone turned up and just ate their picnic quietly, there would be no atmosphere. But there needs to be much better provision for families and for people who just want to enjoy a pint and the rugby in the sun.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

53 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Interesting point. If everyone turned up and just ate their picnic quietly, there would be no atmosphere. But there needs to be much better provision for families and for people who just want to enjoy a pint and the rugby in the sun.

I like a drink but with taking young grandchildren I leave it, but you had people in their 40s and 50s who literally could not stand up, in area  in kiosks the younger ones just letting off smoke bombs with exits blocked and a 7year old who suffers from asthma it is not good. These idiots have done this before at widnes and were banned but still ruin it for others. At Warrington you have drinks flowing freely but they don't do it there.

Packed train there, packed train back with people jammed in like sardines and no extra carriages despite them announcing that it will be busy due to the magic weekend happening, shuttle bus didn't start running till 2.30 ? so had to wait for service bus, single decker that took ages to get there, nothing happening outside the ground, nothing outside the ground except the pub outside the kop that could've done with a good clean or the Arkles, literally straight in to the ground as there wasn't anything else to do.

Once in the Anfield road stand it was like looking through a letter box, ended up at the back with everyone in front stood up so had to do likewise, concourses were very slippy around the toilet areas and loads were slipping over on it. 

Only one 'big' screen that you had to crouch down to see but it was still too far away to view properly.

After the game it was a right farce, there were hundreds waiting in the queue for the 'people's bus' - one came got filled, left then no more, after 15 minutes the supervisor was asked if anymore buses were coming, his reply was ' i don't know' and when asked why he didn't know he said 'the roads are closed so they're not letting any through'.

So most set off walking the apparent 25 minutes to the city centre, according to one of the officials, and after 25 minutes we hailed a taxi and we're still another 10-15 minutes away then !!

Very poor organisation really as they've had months to plan and organise it but to not even know what was happening and have hundreds just stranded miles from the city centre with no way of getting back was unacceptable in my view and the reason i hope it doesn't go there again.

It took us nearly as long to get up and down to the ground from the city centre as the train ride from back from Newcastle did.

Miles away from the centre, bad transport organisation, nothing around the area which was rundown and boarded up and hardly made people want to stay around there.

If it's there again next year i will seriously consider not going and i love magic weekend but for me the experience just wasn't a massively enjoyable one.

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Very poor organisation really as they've had months to plan and organise it but to not even know what was happening and have hundreds just stranded miles from the city centre with no way of getting back was unacceptable in my view and the reason i hope it doesn't go there again.

The only time I’ve been to Anfield was the 4N final and it seems they’ve learnt nothing in the meantime. Are there any regular attendees of the football at Anfield on the forum? I was speaking to a lad at work who occasionally attends Old Trafford and he recently went to the game against Man City which was played midweek. I asked about the trams to the city centre after the game. He said there were plenty and at short intervals. Why is it RL seems to get the rough end of the stick when we play at these venues which cater for similar sized or bigger crowds on a regular basis?

rldfsignature.jpg

I'd suggest it's the RFL/Super League's responsibility to ensure wherever they host their events are organised properly and relayed to the people attending, clearly this hasn't happened as there seems to have been no thought given to ensuring there will be provisions and plans in place to transport people to and from the event. It's almost a case of 'right we've booked the venue, that's it'.

Really enjoyed the weekend.  I watched all the games bar the last 15 minutes of Saints v Cas and despite being over 6 foot tall had no issue with the leg room at the Anfield Road end.  It was the first time I've seen Warrington win at Magic, so obviously that was a plus, but the atmosphere was good in all the games: I thought that the Hull KR fans were tremendous, as were the Cas fans despite how things went for them.  I didn't even get annoyed by the Cowbell.

The only downside for me was the queue for the 917 back to town after the Wire game which explains the early departure on the Sunday - First World Problems really.

I went up to Liverpool on Friday and stayed until today visiting the Tate, the Liverpool Museum and the Western Approaches Museum as well as a National Trust tour of John Lennon and Paul McCartney's childhood homes. Would definitely return.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

20 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

Really enjoyed the weekend.  I watched all the games bar the last 15 minutes of Saints v Cas and despite being over 6 foot tall had no issue with the leg room at the Anfield Road end.  It was the first time I've seen Warrington win at Magic, so obviously that was a plus, but the atmosphere was good in all the games: I thought that the Hull KR fans were tremendous, as were the Cas fans despite how things went for them.  I didn't even get annoyed by the Cowbell.

The only downside for me was the queue for the 917 back to town after the Wire game which explains the early departure on the Sunday - First World Problems really.

I went up to Liverpool on Friday and stayed until today visiting the Tate, the Liverpool Museum and the Western Approaches Museum as well as a National Trust tour of John Lennon and Paul McCartney's childhood homes. Would definitely return.

I think next year I'll do the same and stay over to experience Liverpool after....who know there might be a Liverpool RLFC ground to walk past by then ?

On 26/05/2019 at 20:03, jannerboyuk said:

Enjoyed watching on telly box, atmos came across great in sat, less so on sunday. Soem cracking games, some scrappy and some lop sided but enjoyed wall to wall rugby league with decent amount of time to discus and analyse between games. Magic is a very important property for league, still think it should rotate between cardiff, newcastle and heartlands.

Why were you not at Anfield to help build the atmosphere,

On 26/05/2019 at 23:54, meast said:

We had no problem with transport from the city. On Sunday one hour before the statr there were four buses waiting near Lime Street station and the journey too 20 minutes.

Just back in the office today as the family came and joined me in Liverpool on Monday for a couple of days after being at Magic with my mates.. 

General consensus of our group was.. please take it back to Newcastle. 

LIverpool was nice enough. Getting to the ground wasnt too much of a pain but not being in the city centre made it less than ideal. The ground was cramped and we did like the ability of sitting in different places depending on the matches that Newcastle gave the Anfield did not. 

On saturday night the buses back to the city centre were rubbish, The stewards in charge were aggressive and rude and utterly unhelpful. Pushing the crowd around demanding us to move to places that we just wouldnt and couldnt fit and getting angry when we couldnt do as they say. They wouldnt do the most sensible things (moving the barriers ever so slightly) to make things work. Buses nearly running people down because the person couldnt get out of the way as they had no where to go. Got to the point where some of the fans just took it upon themselves to move the barriers which, funnily enough, made the whole processes easier and work. 

During half time of game 2 on Saturday the Kop (or certainly our vertical section) ran out of cider so for anyone Gluten intolerant their option was god awful wine! Also food ran out by game 3 (which is when I was getting hungry/hangry... around tea time!) 

The evening atmosphere, i think because people were already outside the city at the stadium and some will have just been there for the day as it was close to home, just wasnt as good as it normally is in Newcastle. 

Sunday was better, the stewards at the buses were more polite and actually had a sense of humour but were also helpful in terms of crowd management. I think they kept the cider for longer not sure about the food as made sure i had eaten much more earlier. But the queues and speed of service at the bars were poor, some of the "quick lines" for beer weren't there and they were all serving cans rather than the bottles, not really a problem except they had not been taught how to pour from a can into a glass properly hence it taking so long to get served. 

The seats were still very cramped, which is not something they can do much about granted but for 3 matches in a day and 2 days in a row it was getting very sore. 

As per every other magic weekend I had a good weekend with my mates at the rugby but there was quite a lot of little niggly things that we didnt seem to find in Newcastle.

10 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I thought all Scousers were part time comedians?

It would appear they have their fair share of miserable sods too! RL may well take off in Liverpool after all!

Archived