"Dane Chisholm is inconsistent", they keep telling us

When Chisholm was outstanding on his debut for us, all the Bulls fans were saying that he had a great debut for them too but then went downhill.

After every subsequent outstanding performance, we've been told that it won't last and that he's totally inconsistent.

It's hard to find an accurate way of measuring how consistent players are, so I decided to add up how often a selection of players had been nominated as man of the match in the League Express reports over the last 3 years. These nominations are either done by neutral reporters, or experienced and balanced fan/reporters like our own Steve Slater. It was easy to work out as Love Rugby League keep records of all the MOTM awards.

Half backs tend to stand out so I decided only to compare a selection of the better-known half backs in our division over the last 3 years. Here are the results, with number of MOTM awards, games played and %.

image.png.6cf4b84e9fcea7287f2f2ae9ef01159b.png

So over the last 3 seasons Chisholm has been MOTM according to the League Express reporter in 56% of the games he has played...miles more than any of the other half backs, with Jonno Ford next on 34%. That doesn't sound very inconsistent to me! And yes, he did play a season in league 1, but his % of MOTM awards has actually been bigger in the Championship.

So far Chisholm has played 6 games for Fev and been League Express MOTM in 5 of those 6. That's the same number as Ridyard achieved in 20 games for us last year, and also the same number that Thackeray managed in 26 games in his first year with us.

So even if he flops for the rest of the year, he's already achieved as many stand-out performances in 6 games as many good Championship halves do over a year.

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

When Chisholm was outstanding on his debut for us, all the Bulls fans were saying that he had a great debut for them too but then went downhill.

After every subsequent outstanding performance, we've been told that it won't last and that he's totally inconsistent.

It's hard to find an accurate way of measuring how consistent players are, so I decided to add up how often a selection of players had been nominated as man of the match in the League Express reports over the last 3 years. These nominations are either done by neutral reporters, or experienced and balanced fan/reporters like our own Steve Slater. It was easy to work out as Love Rugby League keep records of all the MOTM awards.

Half backs tend to stand out so I decided only to compare a selection of the better-known half backs in our division over the last 3 years. Here are the results, with number of MOTM awards, games played and %.

image.png.6cf4b84e9fcea7287f2f2ae9ef01159b.png

So over the last 3 seasons Chisholm has been MOTM according to the League Express reporter in 56% of the games he has played...miles more than any of the other half backs, with Jonno Ford next on 34%. That doesn't sound very inconsistent to me! And yes, he did play a season in league 1, but his % of MOTM awards has actually been bigger in the Championship.

So far Chisholm has played 6 games for Fev and been League Express MOTM in 5 of those 6. That's the same number as Ridyard achieved in 20 games for us last year, and also the same number that Thackeray managed in 26 games in his first year with us.

So even if he flops for the rest of the year, he's already achieved as many stand-out performances in 6 games as many good Championship halves do over a year.

Interesting, but you must have been bored to look all that up. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Only blip for me in yesterday’s game was him placing the ball down near the sticks and running at it straight away and it hit the posts but for me that is cockiness and most good half backs have it.For me our season turned for the better when the Boas brothers were removed and the luckiness of Chissy coming to us.And on another positive note we still have Bussey to come back to us from injury who when playing against the best Team in our Division was outstanding.HAPPY DAYS.

After the match he came to the fencing and shook hands with the supporters. He had a big smile on his face. I think while he is happy he will perform. A big asset for the club.

13 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Only blip for me in yesterday’s game was him placing the ball down near the sticks and running at it straight away and it hit the posts but for me that is cockiness and most good half backs have it.For me our season turned for the better when the Boas brothers were removed and the luckiness of Chissy coming to us.And on another positive note we still have Bussey to come back to us from injury who when playing against the best Team in our Division was outstanding.HAPPY DAYS.

Given the issues he had with the wind blowing the ball off the tee the time before, I suspect he rushed it to avoid the same happening again. 

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

How long is Bussey out BP?

5 minutes ago, Fev1983 said:

How long is Bussey out BP?

6-8 weeks iirc. 

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

44 minutes ago, Fev1983 said:

So he will miss the big 3 games at the end of June start of july. Or was the 6-8 weeks from when he picked the injury up?

I'm not 100%, however I think I recall seeing he'd likely be out until at least the end of June. 

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

I think I have found the answer. The Bradford supporters say his performance for them was alternating between good and bad. They did not recognise properly his initials, with them he was AC, with us he is DC. He certainly has been electric in his games at the Rovers. His standard of play has been Direct and Current. Well played Dane Chisholm.

First time I saw Chizzy play was when I was helping Joe Crabtree report for League Express two years ago when he was on loan with Sheffield. They were playing Batley in a home tie at Wakefield. Their half-backs were dire and Batley hammered them, but it wasn't Chizzy, he was playing full-back, he scored a try and  we gave him their M.O.M. but not the overall award.

It got me thinking that maybe he's not that good playing behind a beaten pack? Thankfully I don't think we're going to find out on that one for quite some time?

One other point of interest, PH, is that we at League Express award a gamestar, who is usually the overall Man of the Match, and then we also nominate a M.O.M. for the opposition which is normally, but not always, the losing side. I wonder how Chizzy has fared when he has been on the losing side, often when the losing pack were second best? I question this because Bradford's pack were rubbish two years ago! Maybe their fans made him the scapegoat?

Chizzy plays off the cuff plays what he sees if the packs getten beaten he don't have the space.

i didn't want to see him go and was gutted when he did. Some games last year fans moaning about chizzy he's not doing enough and you looked stats after game what more you want we scored 6 tries he assisted 4 of them and got a brace. What more did they want.

first time we signed him rowan smith let chizzy of the lead play what you see 9 times out 10 we got the ball back from kick offs. Second time round kear put him on the lead play structured. So when he tried stuff no one backed him up and he'd end up running down a dark alley not his fault no one was on his shoulder. That's what bulls fans moaned at. 

Yeah he sulks when things ain't going in way but you only have to look at ronoaldo and Messi in footy best to players in world sulk when things don't go anywhere has winning is in there DNA.

10 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

One other point of interest, PH, is that we at League Express award a gamestar, who is usually the overall Man of the Match, and then we also nominate a M.O.M. for the opposition which is normally, but not always, the losing side. I wonder how Chizzy has fared when he has been on the losing side, often when the losing pack were second best? I question this because Bradford's pack were rubbish two years ago! Maybe their fans made him the scapegoat?

Interesting Steve, I hadn't realised that. Just checked this via Love Rugby League again.

In his first year at Bradford they won 10 of the 11 games he played (the only one they lost was the famous 20-0 game at our place) but he only got 3 MOTMs.

In 2017 (the Sheffield era) he was on the losing side in 7 of the 8 games he played but still won 5 MOTMs.

Last year when the Bulls were in League 1 they only lost 3 of the 28 games he played in but he "only" won 12 MOTMs - less than his percentage in the Championship this year and in 2017.

So it looks like he has stood out at least as much in a losing team as in a winning one.

When you see his versatility and his inventiveness you can do nothing but admire him. Everybody is human and makes mistakes but having the ability to produce the plays that he does is far better than a safe minded robot.

Archived