Fordy

Andy Knight

In this Monday’s Rugby Leaguer is a story that Fordy is HKR first choice to take over if Tim Sheens leaves.  James has not commented on it but did state that he’s just 100% focused on YCK. Classy as always. Sums the man up.

I’d be gutted if he did leave but let’s be honest, he is the best young coach out there in the game at the moment. I’m sure at somepoint he will be a top coach at SL level, hopefully with the Knights. 

Thoughts anyone ? 

"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"

Millican Dalton...1867-1947

Speculation surfaced in the Press last week. As I understand it, James is in his first year of a three year full time contract, and i’d love him to see It out and see if he can complete the job with the Knights by taking them into SL. 

Just experienced it many times before that if a bigger club wants something they usually get it.

James is only young so there’ll be many opportunities to manage elsewhere down the line i am sure. First there’s a job to be done in taking the Knights up - how good would that look on his CV? Even better if he could keep us there! 

An exciting season next year at the new stadium, with bigger crowds forecast and I would expect greater funds for team strengthening. The Knights are within touching distance of making history. Let’s make it happen together.

Beer and York Knights. Proof the God loves us and wants us to be happy. 🍺🏉

It depends on what Fordy wants as a career now he is full time he has options. No disrespect to KR but getting to the challenge cup final in 2015 and staying up in recent years are seen as achievements. He could go there and finish 11th and be ok, is it a challenge not sure, definitely experience but he would be better waiting for a job like Wakefield or Hull FC perhaps where you are challenging for top 5 rather than looking over your shoulder in a relegation battle. Although a good up and coming coach he doesn't have the experience yet, he would need an experienced assistant similar to why Chris Chester had John Kear in at Wakefield to get the most out of a super league team. He would be better seeing out his contract at York showing what he is capable with limited resources then if needed going to a super league side.

Alot of senior pros the likes of Tim Spears and Ben Cockayne speak highly of him which is a good thing that you have that on your side. 

Had this same discussion at work and yesterday at the match.

I have no doubt that Ford can and will manage in SL at some point. I'd be very surprised if he went at the end of the season. The new stadium has to be a big draw, surely it would be a huge achievement for him to lead the players out at the first match there. Think about it, he's led the players when the club have been homeless, using a patch of grass up near Clifton Moor to train on one evening, he's been there when the club had to borrow seats from a local community centre to fulfil minimum requirements at Heworth or somewhere. So why wouldn't he want to lead the club out in front of 8,000 at the new ground. To me it's a bit like your beloved house falls down, so while it's rebuilt you live in a tent in the garden, then you move into your car in the drive, then a caravan, all while the new house is built up. Just before you get the keys to your lovely rebuilt house you get offered another house down the road. Strange example I know but after all you've gone through would you really now move on?!

Also I think the job has to be right. Hull KR are struggling of late but are still quite a bit club - regularly getting 8000+, had some big signings in recent years like Danny Mguire. They are not a small club. If he didn't get off to a decent start it would be tricky. Just look at Furner at Leeds. It has to be the right job now he's full time, because if he was at a KR or Leeds and was moved on, another SL club is unlikely to take a chance at this stage of his career and there's only a handful of clubs outside of SL who could offer him a full time contract.

My gut feeling is he'll at least see out 1 season playing out of the new ground and at some point, if not with York (we can dream) he'll end up at a club like Wakefield.

Agree with everything from all above. James has done the most amazing job in his time at the club and long may it continue. Over the years we’ve seen so many young players come through the system and go on to better things in the game. We’ve become a breeding ground for talent. A lot of that talent was before James was at the club but a fair few have been unearthed by Fordy himself. He’s has an eye for untapped potential. His man management seems to be second to none.

The fact he has a three year deal and seems a honerable man that wants to build something is most refreshing. The new ground must be a big pull, been full time and having a superb relationship with JF must be a big pull. I’m pretty positive that James will be at the club next season and that he will see the club continue to flourish in what is achieved out on the pitch. There’s no doubt he is heading for SL at somepoint in time, he deserves the chance I’m sure we would all agree? If it isn’t with the Knights I can’t imagine anyone would begrudge him the opportunity of moving on, it’s the least he deserves after he’s stood by the club through such turbulent times a few years back. 

In the meantime here’s to celebrating the fact that Fordy is with our club and I’m sure he will be for a fair bit of time to come. Let’s enjoy his coaching while we can. 

"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"

Millican Dalton...1867-1947

Archived