Elite1/2 Update

Penultimate Round

St Gaudens 26-28 St Esteve

Villeneuve/Lot 20-10 Avignon

TOXIII Broncos 10-54 Albi

Palau 40-46 Carcassonne XIII

Limoux 22-16 Lezignan

We're nearly there. 6 Qualifiers known but will they be  placed differently by next weekend. The Canaris should hold on to top spot but other places up for grabs. Again USV and Albi maintain their push. The Tarn side have two of the competitions top try scorers in half-back  Grant and wing  Pedrero with 33 between them. Exciting run -in. Hear that Fabien Devecchi will re-place Julien Rinaldi next year as coach of Villeneuve with Pita Godinet as his assistant.

* Elite 2 sorted. The ogres Baho and Villegailhenc await the barrage winners: Carpentras v Entraigues/ Pia v Lescure in the semi-finals. The top two have dominated all season long. Too many forfaits though from stragglers Salon and Villeneuve Minervois. Will they look to Tonneins and Realmont from third tier as replacements?

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, audois said:

Penultimate Round

Limoux 22-16 Lezignan

We're nearly there. 6 Qualifiers known but will they be  placed differently by next weekend. The Canaris should hold on to top spot but other places up for grabs. Again USV and Albi maintain their push. The Tarn side have two of the competitions top try scorers in half-back  Grant and wing  Pedrero with 33 between them. Exciting run -in. Hear that Fabien Devecchi will re-place Julien Rinaldi next year as coach of Villeneuve with Pita Godinet as his assistant.

* Elite 2 sorted. The ogres Baho and Villegailhenc await the barrage winners: Carpentras v Entraigues/ Pia v Lescure in the semi-finals. The top two have dominated all season long. Too many forfaits though from stragglers Salon and Villeneuve Minervois. Will they look to Tonneins and Realmont from third tier as replacements?

Palau have turned round.  Decent result beating Carca.

Villeneuve, I cant work out.  In a short space of time will be on their 3rd coach in 3 years.

54 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Palau have turned round.  Decent result beating Carca.

Villeneuve, I cant work out.  In a short space of time will be on their 3rd coach in 3 years.

Rinaldi was always supposed to be a one season agreement as coach. He'll probably head back to Australia at the end of the season. Looks like he's done well since taking over 

1 hour ago, audois said:

Penultimate Round

Limoux 22-16 Lezignan

Pia look to have stepped up seamlessly this year. How have Toulon done? 

Ferrals are stepping down too, toulon have had a difficult season, the juniors quit half way through the season, they where clinging on with 15 or so players then they had 2 or 3 suspended for foul play, 

Hopefully they'll stay in elite 2 but the travel commitments are massive! 

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Rinaldi was always supposed to be a one season agreement as coach. He'll probably head back to Australia at the end of the season. Looks like he's done well since taking over 

Been a rollercoaster season for them.  2 home games v Albi summed it up - won the 1st by 30, lost the 2nd by 30. Lose to St.Gaudens then beat Les Sangliers.  

i think they’re aspirations for League 1 were a bit premature!

12 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Been a rollercoaster season for them.  2 home games v Albi summed it up - won the 1st by 30, lost the 2nd by 30. Lose to St.Gaudens then beat Les Sangliers.  

i think they’re aspirations for League 1 were a bit premature!

Much better than last year though 

22 hours ago, barnyia said:

Ferrals are stepping down too, toulon have had a difficult season, the juniors quit half way through the season, they where clinging on with 15 or so players then they had 2 or 3 suspended for foul play, 

Hopefully they'll stay in elite 2 but the travel commitments are massive! 

The link-up with Carcassonne didn't seem to work with Minervois. Exciting seeing Anderson brothers and Ah Van turning out for VARL but downside making the comp less competitive. Holding on to Toulon would be positive. Tonneins played Elite 1 some years back but getting them moving up could strengthen the game in the area around Villeneuve /Lot. Similarly with Realmont in the Tarn with them and Lescure operating behind Albi as the focus.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

Oh yes I think salon want to drop down a level too, the gulf is too big between the top and bottom teams, plus the cost of paying to be in elite 2 French teams pay money to the fédération to participate and pay refs etc but don't win prize money, so it costs you to put a team in the comp, I know it's 1000 for an elite junior team, I think it's 10 or 20 thousand for elite 1. 

2 Full pages in yesterdays broadsheet 'LIndependant' on the treize. Dragons away in camp across the Channel so nothing from them. My take on it is the Dragons profile makes the rest of the game here a lot bigger - well in our region it does. The story Tuesday was high lighting the Elite game and it's big presentation night at Port Barcares next month - international players of the year, Elite 1/2 ditto, U19's, Coaches and Referees et al.

These youngsters catching the eye. Alex Chan's eldest lad and Villeneuve's exciting back-.rower Jayson Goffin

2019-05-29_132744.jpg

On 29/05/2019 at 02:37, barnyia said:

Oh yes I think salon want to drop down a level too, the gulf is too big between the top and bottom teams, plus the cost of paying to be in elite 2 French teams pay money to the fédération to participate and pay refs etc but don't win prize money, so it costs you to put a team in the comp, I know it's 1000 for an elite junior team, I think it's 10 or 20 thousand for elite 1. 

Elite one should definitely have a naming rights sponsor to cover clubs costs to enter in the competition. Didn't the current French Federation president say he had sponsors lined up for the game before being elected, what happend?

16 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

Tiaki Chan is good but his younger brother Joe is a beast. 

Yes he is, still qualifies for the under 17s, but has played under 19s all season, very strong, very tough and quick. No I don't think he was born in France. 

24 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Yes he is, still qualifies for the under 17s, but has played under 19s all season, very strong, very tough and quick. No I don't think he was born in France. 

Alex Chan arrived at the Dragons in 2006. Thirteen years ago.

finale-du-championnat-de-france-elite1-2019.jpg

Baho take out Elite 2 Cup

bahov.thumb.jpg.a79d7009454c298b1584dba5da7005d3.jpg

On 27/05/2019 at 12:30, audois said:

Hear that Fabien Devecchi will re-place Julien Rinaldi next year as coach of Villeneuve 

Pleased that he's back in RL - been at Montmarsan XV for quite a while now I think. He was a great player for Widnes ~20 years ago, one of the first French players to come to play in England.

Sorted. Top 2 on the ladder Carcassonne and St Esteve play for the Lord Derby Cup next Sunday in Perpignan whilst the barrage fixtures will see :

1 Lezignan v Villeneuve/Lot

2 Limoux v Albi

the following week 15/16 th June

St Esteve v winner 1

Carcassonne v winner 2

(I think!)

Carcassonne 44-22 St Gaudens

St Esteve 34-22 Villeneuve/Lot

Toulouse Olympique 12-56 Limoux

Lezignan 52-43 Palau

Avignon 22-34 Albi

St Gaudens looked in demob mode at Stade Domec Saturday .

Couldn’t hold onto the ball and tackling an option it seemed. Only their no4 and no13 showed-up first half. The locals left out lots conserving for next week. The visitors improved a lot after the break winning the second half. Their coach the emblematic Gilles Dumas announced his retirement post match but will stay involved at the Pyrenean club. Elsewhere Olivier Elima’s Palau side scored 83 points in their last two games but didn’t win either. Maybe a competition record.

On 30/05/2019 at 18:04, kiwis 13 6 said:

Elite one should definitely have a naming rights sponsor to cover clubs costs to enter in the competition. Didn't the current French Federation president say he had sponsors lined up for the game before being elected, what happend?

It was announced a few months back that a company called Vichy Catalan, a soft drinks company would be sponsoring the Elite 1 next season so the new name is the Vichy Elite 1.

A name to conjour up some emotions maybe ?

On 29/05/2019 at 13:45, audois said:

2 Full pages in yesterdays broadsheet 'LIndependant' on the treize. Dragons away in camp across the Channel so nothing from them. My take on it is the Dragons profile makes the rest of the game here a lot bigger - well in our region it does. The story Tuesday was high lighting the Elite game and it's big presentation night at Port Barcares next month - international players of the year, Elite 1/2 ditto, U19's, Coaches and Referees et al.

These youngsters catching the eye. Alex Chan's eldest lad and Villeneuve's exciting back-.rower Jayson Goffin

2019-05-29_132744.jpg

I have to throw another name in the ring Gordon, Baptiste Fabre is a 17 year old who has excelled at scrum half with a few performances at hooker and stand-off this season at Albi. He's a decent kicker too and looks set to have a very bright future. He spent a few weeks at Leeds Rhinos last autumn on a training camp.  A nice kid now doing his Bac Pro at Carcassonne.

16 hours ago, audois said:

Sorted. Top 2 on the ladder Carcassonne and St Esteve play for the Lord Derby Cup next Sunday in Perpignan whilst the barrage fixtures will see :

1 Lezignan v Villeneuve/Lot

2 Limoux v Albi

the following week 15/16 th June

St Esteve v winner 1

Carcassonne v winner 2

(I think!)

Carcassonne 44-22 St Gaudens

St Esteve 34-22 Villeneuve/Lot

Toulouse Olympique 12-56 Limoux

Lezignan 52-43 Palau

Avignon 22-34 Albi

St Gaudens looked in demob mode at Stade Domec Saturday .

Couldn’t hold onto the ball and tackling an option it seemed. Only their no4 and no13 showed-up first half. The locals left out lots conserving for next week. The visitors improved a lot after the break winning the second half. Their coach the emblematic Gilles Dumas announced his retirement post match but will stay involved at the Pyrenean club. Elsewhere Olivier Elima’s Palau side scored 83 points in their last two games but didn’t win either. Maybe a competition record.

Very weird Gordon, i've watched St Gaudens a few times this season and they've either been brilliant or rubbish ! Time for Dumas to go, he  has outstayed his welcome just like he did at TO13. St G need some young blood with fresh ideas.

28 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I've heard fabre is going to England next season as he's still academy age, the vichy sponsor was a joke I believe, but not sure

The company Vichy Catalan is a bona fida company so i'm assuming it's true. Still good publicity for the company tho' !

Archived