Joel Tomkins

So he got a one game ban. So that’s alright then. No sin binning for a crusher tackle, a spear tackle, hitting Hastings twice in the head and for dissent. No worries. Some other team will get the benefit of his misdemeanours against Salford. But HKR got the two points. Well done Thaler.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

So he got a one game ban. So that’s alright then. No sin binning for a crusher tackle, a spear tackle, hitting Hastings twice in the head and for dissent. No worries. Some other team will get the benefit of his misdemeanours against Salford. But HKR got the two points. Well done Thaler.

John this will happen again and again but SRD were awful.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Come on, Oxford. Tomkins should have been sin binned. We had a player sin binned, rightly, for a late tackle. But Tomkins was terrible. Yes, SRD played badly and deserved to lose. But we deserved to beat Saints, and another dreadful refereeing decision cost us the two points there as well. Apparently the decisions even themselves out over the year. I don’t believe that.

54 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Apparently the decisions even themselves out over the year. I don’t believe that.

I did say this would happen again and again.

I have a theory which I won't share on here but the above will have to do, on here.

Tomkins is what you say.

If you're a Salford fan you really should be used to this as much as players thinking about somewhere better.

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

What I cannot understand is the fact that if in I my job  I had made as many mistakes and missed as may things that Ben Thaler did I am sure I would have faced an internal investigation and possibly disciplined.

They would also have gone through my training records to ascertain that I was qualified to carry out my duties to the required standard.

Refs have a tough job. I know that. But when they make such ridiculous errors, and they are not fair to both sides and thoroughly inconsistent, even with the help of video refs, you do have to wonder if there is a secret agenda going on.

18 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Refs have a tough job

Yes they do.

19 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

when they make such ridiculous errors

Errors are to be expected.

20 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

not fair to both sides

The errors above would explain how it might appear that way.

21 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

inconsistent

This is something else entirely applying a rule one minute and not the next but still entirely within that error rate.

24 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

you do have to wonder if there is a secret agenda going on

Well, when you look at the SRD experience this would be a sensible conclusion to come to.

But some of Salford's players are already at their new clubs and don't seem up to playing even better to overcome these hurdles which is the only way to do it.

Poor Salford, you have to worry for their future. It looks as if their going to be torn to shreds by next year. 

One of the problems is, the 2 guys in charge of the referees were appalling referees themselves. Therefore what qualifies them to lead the rest of them?

Another issue is, there are no consequences for poor refereeing performances. If a player has a bad game, he is likely to be dropped from the team. If a ref has a bad game, he is still officiating the following week because there are not enough referees to go around. Hence no consequence of actions.

The current crop of referees are all pretty poor, but I think that is partially down to the guys in charge of them, and too many of the rules that rely on interpretation, rather than them as individuals.

I've been saying it for years, the smaller clubs in most sports get the mucky end of the stick when it comes to the officials. Take a look at Huddersfield, Wakefield and Salford at RL. Huddersfield Town, Burnley and the like at football. Whether it is a conscious or subconscious thing by referees is anyone's guess, but it is amazing how often the fancied/bigger clubs get the favorable decisions.

Take a player like Sean O'Loughlin, he is lauded as one of the greatest players of all time by some people. If he had spent his entire career at the like of Wakefield or Salford instead of Wigan, with his penchant for tackling nothing below the nose, he would have spent more time suspended than he has playing.

2 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

One of the problems is, the 2 guys in charge of the referees were appalling referees themselves.

Another issue is there are no consequences for poor refereeing performances. If a player has a bad game he is likely to be dropped from the team. If a ref has a bad game, he is still officiating the following week because there are not enough referees to go around.

The current crop of referees are all pretty poor, but I think that is partially down to the guys in charge of them, and too rules that rely on interpretations. I've been saying it for years, but the smaller clubs in most sports get the mucky end of the stick when it comes to the officials. Take a look at Huddersfield, Wakefield and Salford at RL. Huddersfield Town, Burnley and the like at football, . Whether it is a conscious or sub-conscious thing by referee's is anyone's guess, but it is amazing how often the fancied/bigger clubs get the favorable decisions.

Sean O'Loughlin is lauded as one of the greatest players of all time by some people. If he had spent his entire career at the like of Wakefield or Salford instead of Wigan, with his penchant for tackling nothing below the nose, he would have spent more time suspended than he has playing.

One of the most bizarre things i’ve ever read. 

Some of those people include legends of the game in both hemispheres. 

I see this refereeing failure as a good thing. As anyone and everyone will tell you, these things even out over the course of a season. So, Salford will be approaching the all important end of season run in with plenty of bad refereeing decisions in the bank, ready to be cashed. There's going to be some really massive Salford victories coming up where even the most one-eyed of fans will be embarrassed by how referee assisted it was.

In the meantime, perhaps they could learn how to deal with kicks into the in-goal area by doing something more than just wafting at the ball and missing, because I suspect that that would help them far more than the upcoming referee favouritism.

14 hours ago, johnh1 said:

It’s part of the conspiracy to ensure Leeds stay in SL.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

58 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

I see this refereeing failure as a good thing. As anyone and everyone will tell you, these things even out over the course of a season. So, Salford will be approaching the all important end of season run in with plenty of bad refereeing decisions in the bank, ready to be cashed. There's going to be some really massive Salford victories coming up where even the most one-eyed of fans will be embarrassed by how referee assisted it was.

In the meantime, perhaps they could learn how to deal with kicks into the in-goal area by doing something more than just wafting at the ball and missing, because I suspect that that would help them far more than the upcoming referee favouritism.

The failure to deal with in-goal area kicks basically cost Salford the game, the point being made was the inconsistency of some of the officials, which having been to Anfield and watched the game plus after watching all the other games on catch up has proved that the inconsistent referee decisions in all the games were there for everyone to see.

23 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

One of the problems is, the 2 guys in charge of the referees were appalling referees themselves. Therefore what qualifies them to lead the rest of them?

Another issue is, there are no consequences for poor refereeing performances. If a player has a bad game, he is likely to be dropped from the team. If a ref has a bad game, he is still officiating the following week because there are not enough referees to go around. Hence no consequence of actions.

The current crop of referees are all pretty poor, but I think that is partially down to the guys in charge of them, and too many of the rules that rely on interpretation, rather than them as individuals.

I've been saying it for years, the smaller clubs in most sports get the mucky end of the stick when it comes to the officials. Take a look at Huddersfield, Wakefield and Salford at RL. Huddersfield Town, Burnley and the like at football. Whether it is a conscious or subconscious thing by referees is anyone's guess, but it is amazing how often the fancied/bigger clubs get the favorable decisions.

Take a player like Sean O'Loughlin, he is lauded as one of the greatest players of all time by some people. If he had spent his entire career at the like of Wakefield or Salford instead of Wigan, with his penchant for tackling nothing below the nose, he would have spent more time suspended than he has playing.

The bit in bold is enough to prove that you do not know what you are talking about.

Referees and match officials make significantly less errors than the players and are less biased and more knowledgeable than the supporter. Their appointments are based on performance and they are dropped for serious mistakes which if you follow the appointments closely I.e. Do some research you will see for yourself

23 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I hear this argument a lot, but it's a load of cobblers. 

Imagine Jackson Hastings drops the ball with the line at his mercy, he then gets binned for delaying a 20m restart and finally a wayward pass is intercepted for the winning score. 

Would he be dropped the following week? Really? Would Coote? Fifita? Austin? Or is the embarrassment of demotion reserved for only a handful of fringe players?

Coaches know that these players are consistent top performers, having risen to the top of their field. 

The same goes for referees, except they're judged to a higher standard. Just one error can set them back a season in terms of big games, finals etc. 

Incidentally, in the last 3 seasons Ben Thaler, James Child, Robert Hicks, Chris Kendall, Liam Moore, Scott Mikalauskas have all been dropped to the Championship following such errors. 

38 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Hudgell seems to be implying Paul Cullen is either biased or incompetent :

“We don’t agree with the decision but respect it, however whatabout, whatabout etc”

This would be Neil Hudgell, the man who designed the RFL's disciplinary process?

5 minutes ago, M j M said:

This would be Neil Hudgell, the man who designed the RFL's disciplinary process?

Yes it would https://www.rugby-league.com/article/51747/on-field-disciplinary-changes-for-

As always, he's unhappy that his player has been banned. I doubt he would care if this was a Warrington player.

And that's the problem, these comments are based on reactive, emotive partisan nonsense rather than anything rational. The timing of the comments shows that.

And until we can discuss it sensibly and without club-centric bias, then nothing will change.

1 hour ago, costa said:

I hear this argument a lot, but it's a load of cobblers. 

Imagine Jackson Hastings drops the ball with the line at his mercy, he then gets binned for delaying a 20m restart and finally a wayward pass is intercepted for the winning score. 

Would he be dropped the following week? Really? Would Coote? Fifita? Austin? Or is the embarrassment of demotion reserved for only a handful of fringe players?

Coaches know that these players are consistent top performers, having risen to the top of their field. 

The same goes for referees, except they're judged to a higher standard. Just one error can set them back a season in terms of big games, finals etc. 

Incidentally, in the last 3 seasons Ben Thaler, James Child, Robert Hicks, Chris Kendall, Liam Moore, Scott Mikalauskas have all been dropped to the Championship following such errors. 

Refereeing in the Championship, hence they are still refereeing the following week!

2 hours ago, LeeF said:

The bit in bold is enough to prove that you do not know what you are talking about.

Referees and match officials make significantly less errors than the players and are less biased and more knowledgeable than the supporter. Their appointments are based on performance and they are dropped for serious mistakes which if you follow the appointments closely I.e. Do some research you will see for yourself

I would accept your standpoint regarding bias of supporters, if my thoughts were purely based upon watching my own team. However, I have no love for Huddersfield, Wakefield, Hull KR or Salford, but it is amazing how often they are on the wrong end of the 50/50 calls when they are playing one of the more fancied teams.

I'm not saying it is down to referee's being biased. Personally, I believe it is more of a subconscious thing. Maybe it is down to pressure, when the crowd is screaming for a decision they are more inclined to see/interpret things in a particular way? Surely you will agree that it is human nature to do so, or are you saying referee's are never influenced in this manner? Maybe, it is just more noticeable when those clubs have been on the end of a bad decision, as it invariably ends with the opposition scoring, whereas other teams have the ability to hold out?

Do your own research, next time they are on TV, watch any of the teams mentioned above as a neutral, especially when they are playing one of the more fancied clubs, and see what you think? I reckon you will be amazed at how often they appear to get the thin end of the wedge.

Either that, or away from RL, have a look at the penalty decisions that have gone against Huddersfield Town and Burnley last season, at both ends of the field, ones they should have had that weren't given; and ones that shouldn't that were given to the opposition. I am not much of a football fan, but they were both on the end of some very poor decisions, and it happened far too frequently to be just down to mere coincidence.

7 hours ago, M j M said:

The irony meter is off the scale. He’s only involved in that process as he moaned so much, “justice” must have suited his club until now ??

7 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Yes it would https://www.rugby-league.com/article/51747/on-field-disciplinary-changes-for-

As always, he's unhappy that his player has been banned. I doubt he would care if this was a Warrington player.

And that's the problem, these comments are based on reactive, emotive partisan nonsense rather than anything rational. The timing of the comments shows that.

And until we can discuss it sensibly and without club-centric bias, then nothing will change.

His media team should stop him from releasing such tripe in a public statement

6 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

However, I have no love for Huddersfield, Wakefield, Hull KR or Salford

And this is why your arguments are wrong and fundamentally flawed .... no love for the Red Devils !

The world's gone to hell in a handbasket!

Archived