How Can Super League (aka Elstone) Help Struggling Clubs In Super League?

11 hours ago, daz39 said:

Pardon me for turning it ito a 'my dad's bigger than your dad' scenario but you state 

Yet you are advocating Huddersfield are a nothing club but surely by using your logic where we HAVE gone bust and almost extinct twice, with crowds in the hundreds in a ground that was condemned more or less and fighting back from the 3rd tier in that same period you started watching your club ( who have always been a top flight club with thousands in attendance)  to becoming League Leaders less than 20 years later with crowds of 6-8000 from 6-800 is more of an achievement and shows that the Huddersfield club has started way behind clubs like Warrington and have been their equal there or thereabouts in recent times ?

I could turn your theory on it's head and say clubs like Huddersfield have achieved more than clubs like Wire since the early 90's simply due to the journey we've had to take.

Daz39

You've done exactly what I hoped you wouldn't do....take offence. And I apologise if so.

Your club has had an AMAZING journey from the echelons of the bottom tier to SL. Great achievement! I applaud it.

Yes - you were 'League Leaders' and even memorably knocked the Wire out of the play-off's years ago which was gutting for me.

I WANT  a successful Huudersfield in SL. 

My question is - how do you build your fanbase? And for the rest of SL. Bcos a half empty facility is not attractive to speccies on the TV. Sorry bud, just speaking truth.

14 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

That poses the question though, does the visibility of the league drive the opportunities for the clubs, or does the visibility of the clubs drive the opportunities for the league? 

On another thread someone pointed out that there are two competitive basketball teams in London. I had no idea. I will take a guess the Basketball guys don't know there are two London RL teams in the Leagues, as well as a lot of amateur ones?

Anything that can be done to give RL a higher profile nationally will benefit everyone.

RU Prem have sold their games to BT Sport, however they put out some games via Channel 5 to defray costs and offer a shop window taster to viewers. Sky don't do this, it is all behind a pay wall. Luckily the Challenge Cup is tracked by the BBC.

For RU, Team England seem to be a phenomena, more people would go to a Twickenham England match, than a typical weekend turnout at all the Prem Clubs put together. Could RL build a strong "England" brand in the same way? 

The best location, if you are thinking 10,20, 30 years ahead, has to be Coventry.

On 28/05/2019 at 11:58, scotchy1 said:

which time?

once would be nice.. 

they may play in a park but it has more planning permission and more chance of having something built on it than at least 2 of the super league clubs i can think of. 

We have nearly gone bust once and needed the fans to bale us out due to the stupidity of the board by going full time before the cheque that was to pay for it had come in the post.. idiots yes but still not gone bust. 

Got sold to Huddersfield.. didnt go bust.

Had to re form and build from the of the pyramid upwards... and have won the championship on a couple of occasions.

Had our ground bulldozed without provision for a new one being granted and yes had to play around the place but still going.. 

whether we should be or not is a different matter, whether we add anything is a different argument, whether being in Super league would help is another discussion but we havent been bust IIRC...

I cannot prove a negative so please prove when we have been bust.. not close to but actually bust.

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

To do so, RL would need a national stadium. I wouldn't want us to hold all England games in one place, but you need a national stadium where you can build a home and a base from. I've said before the RFL/SLE should be talking to LUFC to invest in a rebuilt Elland Road. Its the perfect position geographically, and is likely to be the only stadium of size that would take the opportunity (Etihad don't need it, Old Trafford wouldn't take it, St James Park is too far away for regular events, Stadium of Light is in Sunderland) and it has consistently proved that people attend England games there. We also don't do enough to have the need for our own stadium. Doesn't really make sense. 

If we invest x amount for 10 events per year at a the stadium, we keep all ticket sales and concession, then we can go out and sell these Events and build the England brand. Its not necessarily Twickenham that creates the England Brand its having them on tv 10 times a year. England RL play three times a year at most, if it all. 

Create the home stadium, create the events an use that money to build the brand. Not necessarily 10 England matches per year, sadly there aren't enough games to play, but if we can put that up to say 3 or 4 England matches at 'the home stadium' 1 in London, 1 in Lancashire, then we can fill the other events a 9s (maybe an SL 9's and an international 9s), semi-finals, WCC, a season opener etc all cross-subsidising each financially as events and we can build the visibility of the sport. But that's a 10/20/30 year plan. Something we have never done

I like the idea of buying into a stadium, for a few 'events' a year. Personally I think we missed a trick with the Olympic stadium considering how cheaply West Ham have got it. Since that ship has sailed I agree a revamped Elland Road makes sense, as would a Docklands stadium in Liverpool.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Why Coventry?

Oh I was just sitting on the sidelines and couldn't resist shouting at the participants.

But, there's something going on in Coventry worthy of praise (and support), its a big city, its central and the Midlands is a huge conurbation, largely untapped and as far as the ''heartlands/London'' crowd are concerned, its neutral, so doesn't show favour. 

16 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

RU Prem have sold their games to BT Sport, however they put out some games via Channel 5 to defray costs and offer a shop window taster to viewers. Sky don't do this, it is all behind a pay wall.

I've always said SL should have 3 or 4 games a year free like the Prem but I suspect SKY are too short sighted to allow it

23 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If we signed three/four key players ( we have lots of salary cap left)....got to play offs or a semi final of CC we'd be back having 4000 plus potential crowds within a year (not at ET I know)....more success- a final or dare I say a title and the sky could be the limit....would take an investor willing to part with plenty for players and marketing but London could easily be back up to Fulham/Branson days support

I hope so that this will be the case in the future. You guys at London need a serious change. I admire massively the long term commitment from your current owner. But, I don't believe it's ever going to help you get over the mark. And, what you're doing currently is brilliant.

Why did Richard Branson withdraw his funding btw all the way back then?

14 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

I hope so that this will be the case in the future. You guys at London need a serious change. I admire massively the long term commitment from your current owner. But, I don't believe it's ever going to help you get over the mark. And, what you're doing currently is brilliant.

Why did Richard Branson withdraw his funding btw all the way back then?

Branson got bored.....the guys name is mud to me and plenty of us here

We need a new owner- Hughesy is fantastic but getting on and has had enough in my view

24 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Nothing beats a dictatorship. 

We don’t pretend otherwise. You’re welcome to stay here and post here within our terms and conditions of use. If those don’t suit you then no one is forcing you to stay. We maintain civil standards for the many, not the disruptive few. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The game should be renamed and rebranded as Rugby 13 or 13. It would set the game apart from RU, it could become a world recognised brand at a stroke. Which other sport uses just a number as its usp. Use what we have, sometimes it isn't complicated. Maybe try to patent this time.

4 hours ago, bar red said:

The game should be renamed and rebranded as Rugby 13 or 13. It would set the game apart from RU, it could become a world recognised brand at a stroke. Which other sport uses just a number as its usp. Use what we have, sometimes it isn't complicated. Maybe try to patent this time.

No it wouldn't. It would be just seen as another form of RU like RU Sevens is.

Archived