RLEF ‘approves’ new European Championship format

Like the idea, three builds I’d have

1. Don’t make it England Knights. Just England even if absent of NRL players. Will give it more credibility.

2. Reduce nations in the top tier to ensure more competitive fixtures. I’d have 4 max in top tier. By all means have more below if feasible.

3. Try and make England play away to help build internationals in other countries - if booked in advance it could be attractive for England fans to travel to. If England are at home - not Leigh on a Wed night live on the ouRLeague app!

Good progress though.  

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Important to have home and away games for all nations IMO, England don't play at home enough for us to be forced to play away. Take it out of our traditional areas and England France looks much more attractive. Really hope it's not the Knights, it does us no favours and devalues the competition.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

England not only travel but are the draw. I think it would give the other nations a bit more commitment from players, games would have something riding on it. I don't see why we couldn't get 10k plus attendances for all those games immediately, I think done well we would get 20k from the off. That's a real base to build from. 

Triple headers might be a bit much though. I agree with what someone else said in that 4 teams rather than 6 would be better (because splitting into 2 groups of 3 would be too few fixtures, but 5 fixtures plus a final may be too many for the RFL to sort).

Double headers at Toulouse, Cardiff and Hull (depending on who the 4th team would be) would do well IMO, with the final in Leeds. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I like the idea but to echo other contributors please don’t call them England Knights. I’d go and watch England. I wouldn’t draw the curtains if England Knights were playing in my back garden even if both teams used the same players. Full caps to be awarded too.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

I like the idea but to echo other contributors please don’t call them England Knights. I’d go and watch England. I wouldn’t draw the curtains if England Knights were playing in my back garden even if both teams used the same players. Full caps to be awarded too.

Your loss. 

England’s NRL players shouldn’t be playing against part-time Pete, who’s got a cap for Scotland or Wales. 

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Your loss. 

England’s NRL players shouldn’t be playing against part-time Pete, who’s got a cap for Scotland or Wales. 

You’re right, it is my loss. The game/s also lose a couple of attendees and the resultant spend that would have gone with it. 

rldfsignature.jpg

26 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Your loss. 

Part time Pete may also struggle against SL players. If they have part time players then don’t put them in top tier.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

46 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Part time Pete may also struggle against SL players. If they have part time players then don’t put them in top tier.

Who would England play then? This is, seemingly, a northern hemisphere tournament and the closest we’ve got to a Tier One nation are France, who are barely a Tier Two side. 

9 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Who would England play then? This is, seemingly, a northern hemisphere tournament and the closest we’ve got to a Tier One nation are France, who are barely a Tier Two side. 

Let’s not bother then. End of thread.

rldfsignature.jpg

6 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Chasing kangaroos podcast.

To be formally announced over the coming weeks 

Clearly, someone who was present at the RLEF Congress last weekend (and was probably told that it's confidential until it's officially confirmed) has leaked it to these podcast blokes.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I wouldn’t bother. I would send the Knights, as it should be. England sticking 70+ on France, Scotland, Wales, Ireland Italy is utterly pointless. 

As is sending the Knights to play in front of small crowds because nobody is interested in a reserve side.

rldfsignature.jpg

International games HAS to be the pinnacle to aim at. Sending England Knights, is a no. It will not attract anybody. If the scores are big to begin with, so what? It gives the other nations high levels to reach at. We must provide the opposition at the highest level. 

Love it. But, please, please, don't be England Knights. And don't split into 2 groups of 3.

3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Everyone. There’s absolutely no benefits whatsoever to predominantly part-time players playing for the smaller nations against a full England team. 

You’re just asking for injuries and cricket scores. 

The injuries argument gets used time and again and I always ask for evidence of it but nobody ever supplies any. Who says it has to be a full England team? Did the full England team put a cricket score on Ireland in the 2013 WC? 

rldfsignature.jpg

16 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I agree Ken. England with the best of the UK players would still be a strong outfit worthy of the England name without diluting it to Knights, which sounds like a B team.

I would think that sides like Wales would want to play the strongest full England side available to test themselves. Then if they do cause an upset, it has more significance.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

41 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

The injuries argument gets used time and again and I always ask for evidence of it but nobody ever supplies any. Who says it has to be a full England team? Did the full England team put a cricket score on Ireland in the 2013 WC? 

London Skolars vs Toronto Wolfpack. 

Your argument is a game six years ago in the World Cup? How many of those Irish lads put their hand up for Qualifiers? 

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

London Skolars vs Toronto Wolfpack. 

Your argument is a game six years ago in the World Cup? How many of those Irish lads put their hand up for Qualifiers? 

Sorry I didn't realise there was a time scale on this. Maybe if the Irish lads had games against England then they might put there hands up for the qualifiers too. If they don't then Ireland shouldn't pick them in the EC games. What happened in LS v TWP? Just typing that is hardly evidence is it?

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived