Best advice you've received

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Although clearly he didn't tell me directly, Confucius reminds me regularly: 'When you realise you can't reach your goal, don't change the goal, just the approach' or words to that effect. Always stood me well. 

Keep away from Mt. Everest.

One of the best bits of advice was from one of my old college lecturers, in our first year (catering management) we did behavioural and separately communication studies which was a fantastic building block for understanding and communicating with people. He was an old boy, he'd clearly been around and knew his stuff, he made us understand the difference between a 'need' and a 'want', I was already a saver anyways even from primary school but when you're a young pup and peer pressure is massive when you start making your own way at 17 it was a superb bit of advice/knowledge.

When I joined up (Army catering corps) I was one of the few that always had money in my pocket during basic training despite the fact you'd get given £20 to last you a week and the rest was kept back so you didn't pee it all up the first weekends you got let out to sample the delights of Aldershot ?

On 29/05/2019 at 21:35, heartofGold said:

Spend a bit extra on comfortable shoes and a good bed because if you're not in one you're in the other.  (My mum's advice when I started work in 1972)

cracking advice, there are some things you should never, ever scrimp on, I think I will end up inheriting my mothers tupperware and prestige pans when I'm about 70.lol

Not so much advice as direct orders 

To anybody starting work at my business , " if you are using a chop saw , you ignore anybody and everybody including myself if they talk to you " and " if you want to talk to anybody using a chop saw , wait till they've finished " ,must have worked as nobody lost a finger or hand 

Again not advice , just a poem from my mother by Edgar Guest 

" somebody said it couldn't be done " 

Worked for me ,still does 

My old boss when I left my first job, "go around and shake everyones hand when you leave and thank them for their help, even if you hate them. You never know in the future where they will turn up."

Some of them did turn up elsewhere when I was in sales.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 10 June 2019 at 21:36, Padge said:

My old boss when I left my first job, "go around and shake everyones hand when you leave and thank them for their help, even if you hate them. You never know in the future where they will turn up."

The guy was right, the foreman was a real ham shanker. Away from work he was a Liberal Councillor but he was more right wing than some Tories.  I crossed swords with him on several occasions just like some of the other blokes. He made my life a real  misery until I came out of my time. When I eventually  got another job he told me "  Go and have a look around son and if you every need a job you'll be welcome back here ". Strange bloke.

A pal of mine left just before me. Among his company tools he had a pretty big spanner made by a maker called " King Dick ". Good British spanners with the name in big raised letters.  When my mate went into the foreman's office to give his notice he took the spanner with him and he said " I think this spanner's yours, it's got your name on it " and just tossed it on the desk.

"yer coming up to courting age lad, make sure you pick one tha can leave on a park bench without 'er bein' mithered". My grandad

I ignored his advice. 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

One bit of advice I got years ago that I’ve used a few times and has come in very handy in the last two weeks: Flying east? Stay awake.  Flying west? Sleep.

Just back from holiday and put that to good use. 7hr time difference. Stayed awake through the night flying to the place and was more than ready to sleep when we got there and it was late. Slept early on the flight back, got a solid 8 hrs and now am getting tired at 9:30pm. 

Jet lag? Easy...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 21:36, Padge said:

I worked in the agency for the NHS, the number of times I bumped into people I didn't like, but were polite to, probably kept me going for 20 years, "There is only so many people in Theatres that you can P*** off before running out of contacts", thank you Noella.

Just before our eldest child was born the Tea Lady at work gave me this advice when dealing with kids (or anyone else) ‘Say what you mean, but mean what you say’.

When doing my GCE’s in 1980 our Headmaster walked into the exam room and said ‘Look up for inspiration, do not look sideways for information, and refrain from looking down in desperation’.

some 30 years ago, 'Ride wide of the kerb/parked cars', too many cyclists ride in the gutter and/or parked cars and are much less safe for it.

Another couple of decades ago, 'You'll need a triple and bigger sprocket to get up those mountains', was dead right as I ran out of gears after 4 miles of continual up hill but managed the further 3 … just. Was only 2 more 7 mile climbs after that so was glad I took the touring rather the race bike, at nearly 100kg that was hard, on a double i'd have turned around!

12 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Do things to please God, not other humans. - Israel Folau 2019

How can you please a made up fairy at the bottom of the garden.

Archived