Broadcasting Rights

While I agree that it is available on iplayer and challenge Cup games or radio commentaries are streamed nationally on the BBC sport website, the problem is these things have to be purposefully seeked out. It's fine for us established fans because we want to go look for it and watch it but for the randomer that we want to attract to the game, I don't think they will bother doing that. You are more likely to attract people if they are randomly channel surfing and come across it. As has been said scheduling on tv is very important. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, The British Lion said:

Such a genuine argument - they do only have 2 northern teams.

But, it's their international game which gives them the popularity in England.....the RFU may never achieve more Northern teams in their prem, but, they will always muster support in RL heartlands due to their excellent international programme.

I long for the day that RL has such a focus on internationals. Just being honest.

I'm old enough to remember Rugby Special on BBC 2 every Sunday afternoon. They would show obscure matches from small towns played in front of a "crowd" numbering in the dozens and played on what was basically a park pitch. Why did that warrant national coverage in a decent TV spot but RL doesn't?

rldfsignature.jpg

47 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

While I agree that it is available on iplayer and challenge Cup games or radio commentaries are streamed nationally on the BBC sport website, the problem is these things have to be purposefully seeked out. It's fine for us established fans because we want to go look for it and watch it but for the randomer that we want to attract to the game, I don't think they will bother doing that. You are more likely to attract people if they are randomly channel surfing and come across it. As has been said scheduling on tv is very important. 

Young people dont do that any more.  You will not attract a sustainable audience that way.  Online is the way to go.  

Getting it to show up on the iPlayer front page (which I guess is the modern equivalent to channel surfing) would do more then a prime time timeslot (that would be, if we are being honest, worth more then the RFL is currently.)

The RFL needs younger viewers. Online is the best vessel for this.  Few people under 35 care about broadcast schedules.

1 hour ago, TboneFromTO said:

Young people dont do that any more.  You will not attract a sustainable audience that way.  Online is the way to go.  

Getting it to show up on the iPlayer front page (which I guess is the modern equivalent to channel surfing) would do more then a prime time timeslot (that would be, if we are being honest, worth more then the RFL is currently.)

The RFL needs younger viewers. Online is the best vessel for this.  Few people under 35 care about broadcast schedules.

Can you provide some stats which back up your argument?

I see so many claims like this, and no doubt things are changing, but for sport I am yet to see real evidence of this changing.

BARB shows that live tv still accounts for 85% of viewing figs.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Can you provide some stats which back up your argument?

I see so many claims like this, and no doubt things are changing, but for sport I am yet to see real evidence of this changing.

BARB shows that live tv still accounts for 85% of viewing figs.

I was more refering to highlight shows, live events will always be different.

Barb also includes youview platform views as live tv- which is not reliable  - besides a loss of 15% in a decade is an awful lot of market share, and a number that is increasing year on year

But maybe we should ignore the very obvious statstistical trend, heads in the sand - par for the course

5 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

I was more refering to highlight shows, live events will always be different.

Barb also includes youview platform views as live tv- which is not reliable  - besides a loss of 15% in a decade is an awful lot of market share, and a number that is increasing year on year

But maybe we should ignore the very obvious statstistical trend, heads in the sand - par for the course

No, we just shouldn't make BS statements like 

"Getting it to show up on the iPlayer front page (which I guess is the modern equivalent to channel surfing) would do more then a prime time timeslot" 

That is just plain wrong. 

And we already have decent levels of prominence on iPlayer. Lead link when you click on Sport for example.

28 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

But barb only measures those things. It doesnt really measure Netflix or Amazon prime.

Or in the case of sport illegal streaming. 

But we are talking about the BBC, which is measured by BARB.

And Netflix and Prime are not covering UK mainstream sports yet. We will see a small sample of this next year with the Premier League round on Amazon.

Looking at some iPlayer stats around two-thirds of viewers are over 35. Online stuff is clearly important both now and will be more so in future, but it is just wrong to state that getting a good online presence is more beneficial than a prime-time terrestrial tv slot.

There's a bit of content ''drift'' going on here. Of course we need all the new on-line exposure outlets we can get (especially if that's the fastest route to the new young fans) but we kicked this off with a point about being poorly treated by the BBC. My point is we need both, online exposure and a fair crack from terrestrial television. Rugby league fans (license fee payers) right across the country are being discriminated against and denied their fair share of what the money's being spent on. The impression that makes, on the uninitiated newcomers to our sport, is that THERE'S SOMETHING SUB-STANDARD ABOUT RUGBY LEAGUE and that is outrageous.

On whose count is it ''disproportionate''? By what standard? 

I have to go to iplayer to watch the highlights because its not available where I live. That's disproportionate, discriminatory and (daylight robbery too). 

54 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Tennis and the premier league are pretty mainstream.

And the BBC might be covered by barb but as Netflix and Amazon prime arent it skews all your figures. That 85% excluding those two might be true but it may only be 60% or less when you include them.

And that's not accounting for YouTube and other streaming platforms like twitch

The traditional platforms and providers are always going to be skewed towards the older generation. There is a whole content ecosystem out there that these measurements miss. 

As for the question of whether the good on-line presence or prime time terrestrial is better, the answer is it depends. A good on line presence does however need to be more than a prominent position on iplayer, that I would agree with

I'm not sure what you are going on about.

The point was about getting good presence on BBC iPlayer being better than Prime time BBC TV.

Nothing to do with Amazon or Netflix.

8 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

I don't get the argument here.  It all goes on the iplayer.  You can watch 4 episodes of the SL show on it at the moment.

It's distributed nationally and available when ever you want to watch it, after it's initial TV airing

Broadcast schedules are vastly becoming a thing of the past, save for live events

70% of viewing across all platforms is still Broadcast TV. Streaming is actually eating into Pay TV with Pay TV incomes declining.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm saying that the premise of the question and as such your answer and the stats used in that answer miss the important points.

Live TV may account for 85% of the content consumed as measured by BARB but that entirely misses the fact that the major change in the TV industry has been a move away from TV and a move away from the content that is measured by BARB. It misses the none live TV consumed through Netflix and Amazon so it misses out two of the major providers of on demand content. It misses out on the live content provided by YouTube or twitch out on the on-demand content on these platforms. It misses out the illegally streamed sports content. 

The traditional format (television) and the traditional providers (BBC inc iplayer) are not where the change is happening. A good on-line presence can far outweigh a prime time terrestrial slot. A good online presence is not a prominent position on iplayer

The premise of the question misses the salient issues. It's like trying to decide whether BT provide a better beeper or landline service. 

But let's steer clear of marketing talk, can you give me a comparable example of where BBC online is outperforming prime time BBC TV?

Because things like Drama which is top performer for on demand still performs much better on TV.

And all the talk about Netflix and YouTube is great, but there are no comparable UK examples yet, and no reason to even start to think that RL can widen its footprint using these platforms.

Match of the Day is the soccer equivalent and that performs far better on TV. RU is doing everything it can to get prime time terrestrial TV, even if it is channel 5.

Any strategy should be cross-platform, but it will be a long time before getting a good presence on iPlayer will be better for RL than getting a good presence on BBC TV.

You seem intent on taking this debate wider, this is about the BBC's positioning of RL and the claim that an iPlayer lead presence is better than Prime Time BBC TV - that simply is not true, there are no stats anywhere to support that.

On 29/05/2019 at 21:55, Mr Frisky said:

Correct Dave, TV and media look at the product and when they see the CC Final half empty live on the BBC and an England match live on the BBC held in a RL heartland like Hull and banks and banks of empty seats it doesn't look great.

Think the first thing RL and its fans need to do is fill these stadiums - if we can do that the TV and Media will follow.

Turf out the losers that have been stealing a wage from the sport for far too long, pay actual professionals to do the things they fail with time and time and time again.

Next use appropriate stadiums for the events and stop underselling the sport. which they've done for decades. A major part of the reason why RL is not a big draw for sponsors/TV is due to the lack of ABC1 punters and the way the majority aren't prepared to pay the true worth of watching RL for the bigger events. That is in part created by the RFL failing to set matches at appropriate stadia and continually discounting/selling match tickets dirt cheap. Magic Weekend is a prime example on top of so many others incl the CC final. internationals etc. The other aspect is that Northerners would rather spend £30 on beer/smokes than they would for a big game of rugby, they'll even complain that tickets for a seat in a modern stadium for an away game are £2/3 more than for their own teams sheds/concrete and on that basis won't go to a match. 

IF you can persuade the fans to actually pay the value of the sport, IF you can turn the RFL into a professional outfit THEN you might attract sponsors, you might then get a bit more of a profile to the sport, you might even get the Media interested, you might then get a decent deal to promote and air RL in a better slot and on a more regular basis to a wider audience.

Right now we are at the very best standing still, IMHO I think we are still going backwards in real terms and that the changes that are needed and putting value to the sport from the majority of the fans is not going to happen or certainly not enough for the sport to expand properly on a national/international basis. 

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

Any strategy should be cross-platform, but it will be a long time before getting a good presence on iPlayer will be better for RL than getting a good presence on BBC TV.

Of course it should. It's why SL had to move on.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

One needs to decide what the product is? SL is well passed its sell by date.

There is more going on with the game in lower tiers. And about time too.

Quite ironic SL17

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

One needs to decide what the product is? SL is well passed its sell by date.

There is more going on with the game in lower tiers. And about time too.

What does that actually mean?

Why is SL past its sell by date?

43 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Why is SL past its sell by date?

Well it all depends how miffed you are about not being included.

43 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What does that actually mean?

It's a riddle, wrapped in an enigma, covered by a mystery and shrouded in a problem!

or just something vaguely bovine, repulsively interesting and decidedly smelly.

22 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

All of my children stream the vast majority of the sports they watch. In fact, I can only think of a couple of times this year that they’ve watched anything on terrestrial TV.  

They absolutely love highlights packages and other 5 minutes or less clips with a sports theme which can be interviews, comedy skits or other things.

15 minutes ago, Copa said:

All of my children stream the vast majority of the sports they watch. In fact, I can only think of a couple of times this year that they’ve watched anything on terrestrial TV.  

They absolutely love highlights packages and other 5 minutes or less clips with a sports theme which can be interviews, comedy skits or other things.

Yeah but is that because your Missus is in charge of the remote?

20 minutes ago, Copa said:

My little ones go mad for Wagga's match day section of Rugby AM ...they then have more of an interest in the game....more of this kind of thing 

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I wish my team was as good as some of those small northern towns....

Keep trying, maybe one day!

Archived