chanting club statement

tms

13 hours ago, Terrybill said:

You underline this problem, with your limited half-witted responses. The likes of you are the biggest part of the problem. I would be very interested to know the angle of your forehead and the nature of your gait so I could better judge how much of a Neanderthal you are. my guess is acute and knuckle dragging.

Just playing devil's advocate here...

At what point does freedom of speech become eroded, due to the risk of people becoming offended by particular words or sayings?

How is calling someone "A Neanderthal" any different to the types abuse this thread is highlighting as so very wrong? 

What makes that okay, but not other kinds of name calling?

As far as I can tell, you are safe to describe someone as fat, thin, short, tall, old, young, stupid, geeky, lazy, cowardly or even as a male or female reproductive organ and a neanderthal; but you cannot comment on the colour of a person's skin, ethnicity or sexuality without causing a complete and utter outrage to certain sections of society.

I do not really understand why anyone would or should take greater offence to one set of insults, over another. Afterall, they are all just words, but some sections of society are protected and are almost being coerced to become offended, but others should just "grow a pair" (if that isn't being sexist) and get on with it. 

Please excuse my naivety if this is glaringly obvious to you, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Surely these rules and guidelines about what you can, and cannot say, are in place to eradicate all forms of discrimination, yet by there very nature create more barriers than they bridge.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

At what point does freedom of speech become eroded, due to the risk of people becoming offended by particular words or sayings?

How is calling someone "A Neanderthal" any different to the types abuse this thread is highlighting as so very wrong? 

As far as I can tell, you are safe to describe someone as fat, thin, short, tall, old, young, stupid, geeky, lazy, cowardly or even as a male or female reproductive organ and a neanderthal; but you cannot comment on the colour of a person's skin, ethnicity or sexuality without causing a complete and utter outrage to certain sections of society.

I do not really understand why anyone would or should take greater offence to one set of insults, over another. Afterall, they are all just words, but some sections of society are protected and are almost being coerced to become offended, but others should just "grow a pair" (if that isn't being sexist) and get on with it. 

Please excuse my naivety if this is glaringly obvious to you, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Surely these rules and guidelines about what you can, and cannot say, are in place to eradicate all forms of discrimination, yet by there very nature create more barriers than they bridge.

spot on thats the view of 99% just the 1% of the rovers snowflakes dont get it, you cant comment on the colour of someones skin because basically its against the law so you shouldnt do it thats fine, its the mock outrage by people who dont really care themselves but just want to look the big man (or woman ) on social media that annoys me .

5 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

A good 15 years ago i was on duty at st lukes. An in-patient had been racially abusive to my colleagues all shift. At handover, the then manager instructed all staff should employ a "zero tolerance" to racial abuse.

The following day the same patient referred to me throughout the shift as a fkn fat ginger c..t which was recieved with some hilarity by the same manager.

Notwithstanding the unprofessional conduct of the manager, or that i was unmoved by the comments, the experience kind of illustrates the point you are making.

Its got little or nowt to do with this thread like.... a thread i find disturbing for a whole multitude of reasons.....

For me, it's not necessarily the racist angle that is the main issue here (although the chant in question makes you wince a bit), it is the generally offensive bull that is chanted by the minority and the few who want to fight when they've had a sniff of the barmaid's apron.  The first game of the season was a case in point with a number of Featherstone fans scrapping with the big daft Bradford lad in the luminous orange coat (who wears hi-viz then picks a fight at a rugby match).  Absolutely all clubs have a small group of bother-causers who's behaviour reflects badly on the club, but just because everyone has the problem doesn't make it acceptable.

I appreciate that bad language is rife throughout society and I would imagine that no-one swears more than I do in certain circumstances, but shouting it out from the 'family-stand' just sounds crass and dare I say moronic.

Merely saying that there are worse things around is a ridiculous argument; it's like me saying that I'm not that fat just because there are fatter people about.  I'm still fat.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

A good 15 years ago i was on duty at st lukes. An in-patient had been racially abusive to my colleagues all shift. At handover, the then manager instructed all staff should employ a "zero tolerance" to racial abuse.

The following day the same patient referred to me throughout the shift as a fkn fat ginger c..t which was recieved with some hilarity by the same manager.

Notwithstanding the unprofessional conduct of the manager, or that i was unmoved by the comments, the experience kind of illustrates the point you are making.

Its got little or nowt to do with this thread like.... a thread i find disturbing for a whole multitude of reasons.....

As Meatloaf sings 'two out of three ain't bad'

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Outlined perfectly.

We have had arguments for and against this chanting. IF you are a supporter you will cease doing it or the club could get fined. As a SUPPORTER you should have the club's BEST interests at heart. We need every penny piece to keep our recent success going. So whether you are right or wrong a bit of common sense should prevail in the club's interest. STOP DOING IT NOW. The leaders should show their leadership strength by telling the others to STOP. Let's have a sing song and a friendly chant. It is good and achieves so much more all round.

Its a double edged sword because the people who are swearing are the very people who have brought a renewed atmosphere to the ground . Good or bad. Its simple just rein it in a little bit and you'll find that Rovers have one of the best voiciferous crowds in the championship. The players love the adulation you can see it on their faces. It doesnt need a complete full condemnation of Fev fans. It just needs reining in a little bit end of.

23 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Its a double edged sword because the people who are swearing are the very people who have brought a renewed atmosphere to the ground . Good or bad. Its simple just rein it in a little bit and you'll find that Rovers have one of the best voiciferous crowds in the championship. The players love the adulation you can see it on their faces. It doesnt need a complete full condemnation of Fev fans. It just needs reining in a little bit end of.

Couldn’t agree more well said .

1 hour ago, J Phil Loxton said:

thats been done by a lot of older wiser people this last week, im confident you wont hear a chant like that again in the ground, its been done by folk being pro-active unlike the snowflakes on here who offer no solution just take the  opportunity to look big on social media, they are just as big a problem

24 minutes ago, gingdong said:

in the 80s a saints fan was stabbed at Rovers we didnt get fined then

For goodness sake Suggy are you just doing this to wind folk up?? Thankfully we’ve moved on since the 1980’s whilst some folk appear to be still cocooned in that bubble. Yes I remember this incident and in today’s climate it would have been dealt with very differently 

Im Fev and im proud

5 minutes ago, Maureen T-k said:

For goodness sake Suggy are you just doing this to wind folk up?? Thankfully we’ve moved on since the 1980’s whilst some folk appear to be still cocooned in that bubble. Yes I remember this incident and in today’s climate it would have been dealt with very differently 

the club never got fined for it

I don't understand this lot of dribble. We are trying to remove an item that could cause our club trouble. In spite of past right or wrongs it is NOW that counts. Let the people who do it stop the items which are causing the trouble and go for a less controversial outing. Still encouraging the team without the things that are causing the club trouble. Why is that so hard? With the club at the front of our interest lets do what is best for the club. Continue the drums and the chants but without the backlash.

9 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Oh well, that makes it perfectly acceptable then. Did the club get fined for paralyzing the Halifax fan at the Grand Final a few years back?  

i didnt say it makes it acceptable just stating a fact as for the halifax fan be hard to fine anyone when nobody has ever been convicted of it

All we need is for common sense to prevail. I don't know the extent of the fine but I suggest that a collection is organised for the Widnes match so we can each contribute something to cover the costs of the fine and extra stewards. Even £1 each could give us around £1000. After our recent wins let's hope the chanters have got the message. 

1 hour ago, jamescolin said:

All we need is for common sense to prevail. I don't know the extent of the fine but I suggest that a collection is organised for the Widnes match so we can each contribute something to cover the costs of the fine and extra stewards. Even £1 each could give us around £1000. After our recent wins let's hope the chanters have got the message. 

A collection due to some idiots getting the club fined for thinking they're being big and funny? I don't think so.

2 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

The clubs been fined for behaviour of supporters at the Rochdale match. Maybe now the message will get through.

Hopefully so. I'm not holding my breath however. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived