Challenge Cup Semis Venue Moving?

14 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Bolton, chosen so that the West of the Pennines clubs don't have to go too far from their doorsteps, seemingly for the CC semis the Lancy clubs struggle to go in decent numbers when it's outside their manor!

There's never any thought to neutral fans outside the heartlands areas anymore, RFL has sold out to chase the few coppers they'll get for tickets.

Choosing Bolton is pointless, no point increasing capacity if you're going to still sell the tickets for ten bob to northern monkeys who expect cut price tickets, restricting available tickets means you don't have to discount/sell them for peanuts.

If you're going for the bigger venue at least think outside the box a bit, As previous poster, Sheffield would have been a decent shout, however if you're having a small nod to fans from the midlands/Southern regions Pride Park in Derby or Notts Forest's ground, both are full size pitches, both are at least 30k.

This is the place, then, as it's not far off the geographical centre . http://www.balsallhornets.co.uk/ ??

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Bolton, chosen so that the West of the Pennines clubs don't have to go too far from their doorsteps, seemingly for the CC semis the Lancy clubs struggle to go in decent numbers when it's outside their manor!

There's never any thought to neutral fans outside the heartlands areas anymore, RFL has sold out to chase the few coppers they'll get for tickets.

Choosing Bolton is pointless, no point increasing capacity if you're going to still sell the tickets for ten bob to northern monkeys who expect cut price tickets, restricting available tickets means you don't have to discount/sell them for peanuts.

If you're going for the bigger venue at least think outside the box a bit, As previous poster, Sheffield would have been a decent shout, however if you're having a small nod to fans from the midlands/Southern regions Pride Park in Derby or Notts Forest's ground, both are full size pitches, both are at least 30k.

You do realise that Bramall Lane is barely 2,000 larger than the UniBolt and is inferior on pretty much every count in terms of general facilities, transport links, hospitality lounges and even the size of the pitch?

18 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

RL journalists are a joke. Aaron Bower slated Magic Weekend this time last week and then a day later, backtracked when the first day was decent. 

They’re sadistic and pessimistic nature is a joke. 

I quite like Bower's coverage but I do agree that as a whole they do tend to make out that things are worse than they are.

OT, but one of the best examples I can think of Bower coming up with was when he opened his match report for England's defeat to Australia in the 2016 four nations with something along the lines of, "they only had to avoid defeat to get to the final".

As if that is in anyway a fair or constructive comment.

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

You do realise that Bramall Lane is barely 2,000 larger than the UniBolt and is inferior on pretty much every count in terms of general facilities, transport links, hospitality lounges and even the size of the pitch?

Who mentioned Bramhall Lane, Hillsborough is the right size for a L game is it not, or did you forget there are two sheffield stadia that meet the requirements? How much corporate will be done at Bolton, max, I've no idea but if it inconveniences the many thousands from the team with the best support left in the comp then that's all okay to have it at Bolton for the sake of a few extra shampoo and prawn types. 

In any case the capacity doesn't matter in itself as bigger doesn't equal more money as we've seen after decades of discounted tickets trying to sell stadia that are too capacious and fans knowing that there are plenty of tickets at dirt cheap prices.

25k at John Smith stadium would have been just fine IMHO and a halfway point for teams still left in the comp at least, however I'm really not seeing how Bolton has better transport links to more places than Sheffield. For example it's 1.5hrs with no changes for Hull fans via train, it's 2hrs 20m from Kings Cross via Doncaster, for me it'd be 1hr 55 by train and a little more if going by car, to Bolton you can double that for either mode.

But I forgot, you're talking about transport links that are easy from the West of the Pennines, as I said, supporters from there have weak bellies when it comes to travelling.

So despite “capacity doesn't matter in itself as bigger doesn't equal more money“, you want to take it to a 40,000 archaic dump of a ground? Without wanting to go off topic, the approach to the Leppings Lane End is literally unchanged in 30 years both in terms of the approach to the turnstiles and even the infamous tunnel in to the back of the lower tier. The whole place should have been levelled in 1989.

Both Bramall Lane and Hillsborough are dreadful for parking for coaches and cars and as such entirely unsuitable for a double header where greater capacity with greater flexibility is required for a greater length of time. 

Hillsborough is also not especially great in terms of public transport - even with a crowd of a little over 20,000 on my last visit and barely 1,500 visiting fans, there was a 20+ minute wait for trams in the city centre and we ended up missing the first 10 minutes of the game despite setting off in plenty of time. 

Bolton meanwhile is immediately adjacent to a motorway junction that leads straight to the M62 and had its own train station with regular direct trains in to Manchester Piccadilly which are well served in dealing with crowds. 

Not a clue what you’re rambling on about with this “weak bellies” lark other than an inherent, ingrained bitterness. 

8 hours ago, newbe said:

Love the way rl folk talk about this n that stadia, maybe these footy clubs are not bothered. Just playing the devil ?

The evidence proves that many football clubs are very happy to stage RL games there.

And we are talking some of the biggest in the world.

On 30/05/2019 at 21:47, Leeds Wire said:

Yeah but you don't have to bloody stand there do you? It's a shi.t tip as an away ground. One of the worst.

As a matter of fact sir I do stand there.

Archived