The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

News has arrived that Pakistan have defeated New Zealand. Trevor Bayliss addresses the team.

image.png.8c3e0da9d08988a284806e3f8a13aebb.png

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 25/06/2019 at 22:32, Niels said:

How do you see the semi finals now?  I originally chose India and I still think they will win. 

Australia for me all along in the final against New Zealand. Other Semi-Finalists India and Pakistan.....?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

West Indies crash out and who knows what South Africa may turn up to play Sri Lanka tomorrow.

Some positives for England facing India

• The Indian batsmen batting first seem to be operating with a 300 run ceiling on their innings batting first, anything south of 330 on a good pitch can be chased.
  • The Indians may rotate the side having ensured qualification - anyone coming in will be short on Cricket.
  • The Australian attack is far superior to the Indian one. You can score heavily against India and their left arm leggie was hit out of the bilateral series last year.
  • We have yet to see how India react when Rohit and Kohli go early. The rest are not so accomplished.
  • England are now discounted by all and sundry, including myself, that should free them from the burden of being favourites which they have laboured under. Faced with a pro-India crowd maybe that's the key to unlocking a good performance.
  • England will make changes for this match and hopefully put together an opening stand that does not mean that Root comes in when the new ball is at its hardest and swinging. He needs to come in with a platform set to bat the majority of the rest of the innings allowing the batters around him to up the tempo. losing early wickets puts England on the back foot to begin with.
  • Tom Curran it's being rumoured wil play, and while he has had a lack of cricket, a slow two paced wicket for a bowler who has the confidence to bowl his variations on it might just be the key. Instead of trying to bang it into the wicket pitch it up and bowl a few slower balls.
  • As Vincent Jones esq would have put it "It's s**t or bust" for England. Soon we will find out if England are men of Iron or straw on Sunday.

Some Pix from Lords

1 Grey Nicholls have produced a bat suitable for James Vince...

2  "I have my eyes on your Rooster" - misery guts Justin Langer

3  Miked up Mike arrives - Note the wiring.

4  Warner square cuts Adil Rashid

5 Eoin Morgan leg glances

6 The end for Johnny B....

DSC_0411.JPG

DSC_0414 (2).JPG

DSC_0415 (2).JPG

DSC_0421.JPG

DSC_0422.JPG

DSC_0423.JPG

George Orwell

23 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Is it losing the $100? He is from Yorkshire, yes? Even in the pic he's guarding the loose change in his pockets.

Out of interest, where did the tight-fisted Yorkshireman thing originate from?

Probably from people observing them being tight-fisted and from their own pride in being "thrifty".

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Afghanistan drag defeat from the jaws of victory with the most bizarre captaincy I’ve seen in a long time . He did want to win right ?

If you are being kind, you might say he decided to bowl to grab himself some glory.

A cynic might suspect other reasons...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

If you are being kind, you might say he decided to bowl to grab himself some glory.

Inexperience at best. An Afghanistan win would have been an undeserved lifeline for England.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

7 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Very strange , let’s say naive and not knowing how to win .... as expected Twitter is already in overdrive on it

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Very strange , let’s say naive and not knowing how to win .... as expected Twitter is already in overdrive on it

A touch of club cricket captaining maybe, I'm the captain so I'll bowl my full 10 regardless....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

A touch of club cricket captaining maybe, I'm the captain so I'll bowl my full 10 regardless....

And open the batting . Even when they were on top he allowed singles everywhere... then kept bringing himself on with his utter dross to release any pressure !

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

And open the batting . Even when they were on top he allowed singles everywhere... then kept bringing himself on with his utter dross to release any pressure !

Whatever kind of pies they eat in Kabul, he was chucking them.

Win or bust for England today. It's also a win the toss and bat day given the WC is going chasing anything north of 250 will be a problem.

One disturbing factor from Tuesday was that Eoin Morgan was out captained by Arron Finch not bowling Jofra out for his full quota and using Ben Stokes in the last over..never a good move.

Good captaincy on show yesterday, He bowled Steve Smith for one over which consisted of four full tosses and takes him off, a Kiwi Wicket falls and in comes Colin De Grandhomme. Now in cricket circles, its known that De Grandhomme is a bit of a slogger who hits very straight. So the minute he comes in Finch sets a deep long off and a deep long on and brings Smith back on to bowl his "leg breaks" to challenge De Grandhommes ego, Lo and behold he tries to smack Smith out of the ground and finds deep Long Off. Great Captaincy.

Another seven wickets for Australian Left arm Bowlers and Trent Boult from New Zealand including a hat trick. - Man you on about left armers again.. I will leave it there.

I like the Kiwis so the less sad about yesterday the better.

Some Pics from Lords

1 Practicing hard in the nets

2 Michael Clarke Looking Chipper

3 Time runnng out for England....?

4 Finch on the drive in his brief stay

5 Khawaja Cuts Santner

6 Guptill "plays with the makers name"

7 Ross Taylor Gets out the Sweep against Lyon

DSC_0431 (2).JPG

DSC_0436.JPG

DSC_0434.JPG

DSC_0439.JPG

DSC_0440.JPG

DSC_0445.JPG

DSC_0451.JPG

George Orwell

England pass 200 in 29 overs for the loss of 1 wicket. That's a bit more like it, although the Indian bowlers are applying the pressure now.. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Buttler in at last . I always think one dayers look outside Roots comfort zone , whatever his stats . Can’t really force it along 

The Indian fielding was as good as thier bowling. Very tight going for quite a few overs.

England finish on 337, which is a defendable target if the bowlers don't get carried away..

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The Indian fielding was as good as thier bowling. Very tight going for quite a few overs.

England finish on 337, which is a defendable target if the bowlers don't get carried away..

Yep , Bumrah brilliant . We’ve tended to go too short too much so hopefully we can take a leaf from his book

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Buttler in at last . I always think one dayers look outside Roots comfort zone , whatever his stats . Can’t really force it along 

Strike rate of 90+ in this tournament and an average of about 60. Considering we’ve not batted well, I am not sure the stats lie...

Archived