The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mickhornet said:

Love to see a shock result. Just hope England make the final.

I have liked a lot of what the Black Caps have done in this tournament, and they'll be eager to go one better than in 2015. I think it is our duty as gracious hosts to make sure that, whoever wins the trophy, our Kiwi guests don't have to meet those uncouth Australians again.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love it when people say a Kiwi win is a big shock to them because eight semi-finals since 1975 kinda indicates that ODI cricket is a Kiwi speciality.

On to the big one, I have tipped Australia to beat New Zealand in the final I am sticking to that. despite the BS in the media Australia are favourites and should feel that pressure. Will this game matter psychologically for the Ashes, the group game No, this semi-final - of course, Yes it's a different format, but the bulk of the players in both sides will be the same and the winner will have the edge having knocked out the opposition.

I have Australia as favourites but they are not unbeatable and here's how England can take the advantage.

• Their batting line up like India's seems one paced and unlikely to bat a side out of the game by getting 340 plus in the first innings. .
  • Australia's fifth bowlers a combo of Maxwell, Stoinis, Finch and even Smith is very clubbable if you have wickets in hand.
  • If Usman Khawaja had been replaced by Matthew Wade then that would be an upgrade. However if not being spun a yarn, Peter Handscombe is playing, someone without a solid technique which is why his career varies from feast to famine.
  • The rumour is that Mitchell Starc the standout left arm quick is less than 100% fit. As he is the best bowler in ODI cricket that could be huge and a key for England is not losing too many wickets first up to him and Behrendorff.

Final point, I said England should dread having to win 2 of out their last three games. they had to and they did, so fair play England have been playing uinder pressure. Australia , like St Helens last year, qualified early and have been playing pressure free cricket. Sometimes it's a bit of a disadvantage to be dominant early on in that you lose that mental edge . It's easier in sport if you have been playing under pressure to retain that edge and not so easy to regain it when suddenly confronted with a loser goes home scenario when you have been playing pressure free . Just ask any Indian fan...?.

You could say I know quite a bit more about Cricket than RL and my predictions on Cricket are not the reverse malachi efforts seen on the General Rugby League forum about the Broncos . As a patriot I crertainly hope that Australia in the final is one prediction of mine that turns out to be a compete dud.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Finch and Warner are back in the pavilion already, with just 10 runs on the board! ?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Have I overslept? Am I dreaming?

If we get Smith out cheaply I’m going to start doubting whether I’ve got up or not. I hope I have though as I’ve already been the toilet. 

Just now, bobbruce said:

If we get Smith out cheaply I’m going to start doubting whether I’ve got up or not. I hope I have though as I’ve already been the toilet. 

Getting Smith or Carey in the next few overs will be huge, that will really put them on the back foot.  Those two can not only rebuild but rebuild quickly if they manage to get in.

Just now, glossop saint said:

Getting Smith or Carey in the next few overs will be huge, that will really put them on the back foot.  Those two can not only rebuild but rebuild quickly if they manage to get in.

Smiths the man for me now the Aussies can get back in this if he bats all day. 

Unbelievable to think that Jofra Archer is taking wickets in a world cup semi final, 4 years ago to the day - 11th July 2015, he took 5-15 opening the bowling for Middleton, an amateur club in the Sussex League.

Some journey that!

28 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

England still need Smith and unless they get him the Aussies will set a defendable total. 

Not if he runs out of partners.

Maxwell gone now.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Smith finally dismissed, but only after scoring a valuable 85.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Only 223 . Bah , nothing can go wrong now 

So 30 off the target once the innings went awry and 60-70 off where they would really liked to have been ... but still a score to defend.

Just going to put my 50p on Oz.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So 30 off the target once the innings went awry and 60-70 off where they would really liked to have been ... but still a score to defend.

Just going to put my 50p on Oz.

Still twitchy I agree . You just know it’s gonna be an effort still !

Archived