The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

England were on the ropes a few days ago, but the way that they've bounced back has been fantastic. Tremendous wins against New Zealand, India, and Australia. The return of Roy to partner Bairstow has been a huge part of that.

I hope the weather is good tomorrow so we get a day of uninterrupted cricket. Great that it's on free to air television. Hopefully a few kids will get off their Xboxes/Playstations for bit and watch some of it. Come on England!

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

England were on the ropes a few days ago, but the way that they've bounced back has been fantastic. Tremendous wins against New Zealand, India, and Australia. The return of Roy to partner Bairstow has been a huge part of that.

I hope the weather is good tomorrow so we get a day of uninterrupted cricket. Great that it's on free to air television. Hopefully a few kids will get off their Xboxes/Playstations for bit and watch some of it. Come on England!

The weather forecast looks good. Cooler than the last few days, but a very low chance of rain.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seeing that we’ve been aiming for this for four years , do  so well over that whole time and been the best side , have come through do or games , have the country watching on free to air , and are at home with a big crowd watching, the Kiwis have no right to spoil it . It’s our World Cup guys 

Time for the big one,  I got the four semi-finalists right and one finalist at the start of thr thread so 66% success tipping.

Well played England on Thursday a comprehensive thrashing that will have an impact on the Ashes Series no matter what is said publicly due to ithe size and nature of the victory.

Both sides probably unchanged for the final and in New Zealand's case I will maintain not their strongest XI. That said there is an uncomfortable air of triumphalism in the Press. The games not won yet and there is a lot of disrespect being shown to New Zealand. As I have posted its hard to say the Kiwis are punching above their weight if you compare their eight semi-final appearances to England's six in the world cup.

Some points to note:

• New Zealand's highest total was 291-8 v West Indies and they almost lost that. The next highest score 248-8 v Bangladesh. The Kiwis have made a virtue of defending and chasing scores under 250 so it remains to be seen how the Kiwis would react to a 300 plus score.
  • Martin Guptill has yet to fire, but Kane Richardson and Ross Taylor have. On the last tour I was on England put up 335-9 and had New Zealand 2-2 in the second Innings before Ross Taylor blasted 181 not out to take them to 339-5 in 49.3 overs. The game is not over till the last wicket falls.
  • One area England do have a big advantage is that Lords is Eoin Morgan's home ground- Knowledge of conditions and how to pace your innings is going to be vital.

I expect a close game with the winner being the side that copes with the pressure the most. Being favourites and playing at home can cut both ways for England. New Zealand can play with a lot of freedom but England with momentum can get a roll on.

All to play for,.

Here's a photo about Cricket in Tauranga, from the last tour Idyllic no.

DSC_0026.JPG

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

18 hours ago, DavidM said:

Seeing that we’ve been aiming for this for four years , do  so well over that whole time and been the best side , have come through do or games , have the country watching on free to air , and are at home with a big crowd watching, the Kiwis have no right to spoil it . It’s our World Cup guys 

Funnier things have happened David! 

Here's hoping it goes with form.... 

Boult is there one chance.... He can run through a team.... Especially a nervous team

Two important wickets for Plunkett, needed those.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Williamson's gone, which is one big danger removed.

NZ 141 for 4, and switching to More4 from Channel 4 HD for the remainder of the innings in BlurryVision.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Lucky with that Taylor decision; too high.

Looked a bit high even in real time.

NZ had used up their reviews though, so a bit of luck for us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Looked a bit high even in real time.

NZ had used up their reviews though, so a bit of luck for us.

The review system is a wonderful demonstration of the human ego. The lbw that Guptill reviewed was plumb as anything, and in his heart he must have known that. But he chucked it away and  now it has cost his mate his wicket.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

10 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

The review system is a wonderful demonstration of the human ego. The lbw that Guptill reviewed was plumb as anything, and in his heart he must have known that. But he chucked it away and  now it has cost his mate his wicket.

Same with Bairstow in the semi final. Both going to DRS to check if it was missing the middle of middle stump.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Well, 241 is a score on the board. It should be gettable, but it could be defended too. Decent bowling in the last ten but, being hyper-critical, we could have shaved another 15 off because most of the runs they were getting were extras.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Well, 241 is a score on the board. It should be gettable, but it could be defended too. Decent bowling in the last ten but, being hyper-critical, we could have shaved another 15 off because most of the runs they were getting were extras.

Too many extras.

I think NZ would have had 230-250 as their target, knowing that it's Lord's and the final. They'll be happy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived