The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

It is THE cricket world cup just like cricket THE Ashes.  It doesn't need the gender addition.

It’s not the 1950s

It does need the gender addition. 

England were already the Women’s World Champions.    Good of the Men to complete the double. 

Happy days all round ?

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

58 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Getting peed off more like. 

Relax. You’ll be fine.

Enjoy the day.   

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

TBH, that would make Brussels wee themselves.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

"I hear you're a cricketer now, Father ..."

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Simply, the single most astonishing end to any sporting contest I've ever seen.

Unless, of course, you know better Esther...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Just now, Bearman said:

Has anyone stopped smiling yet?

I went to sleep for a bit.

TV peak viewing of 5.5m ish across Sky and Channel 4.

Massive for cricket but maybe shows that the sport really isn’t close to being as mainstream as football. Behind union too - and Wimbledon on BBC One got 9.6m.

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

TV peak viewing of 5.5m ish across Sky and Channel 4.

Massive for cricket but maybe shows that the sport really isn’t close to being as mainstream as football. Behind union too - and Wimbledon on BBC One got 9.6m.

I watched both - I had the men's singles on mute on my laptop.

Jimmy Neesham's tweet owns the internet today.

image.png.64798e28f9d95b136d760ece0295df44.png

In the comments are a bunch of sad Indian and Pakistani supporters blaming the ICC for inventing stupid rules to rob NZ of their title. NZ fans appear to have taken it more stoically.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I watched both - I had the men's singles on mute on my laptop.

Jimmy Neesham's tweet owns the internet today.

image.png.64798e28f9d95b136d760ece0295df44.png

In the comments are a bunch of sad Indian and Pakistani supporters blaming the ICC for inventing stupid rules to rob NZ of their title. NZ fans appear to have taken it more stoically.

There are some very odd, mostly Indian, cricket fans making some very strange comments generally.

I mean, the rule is daft, I think, but it's there and everyone in the game knew it. England got a reward for having people like Bairstow excel at boundary fielding. Fewer wickets and countbacks are more traditional but have their flaws. The alternative is more and more super overs - and maybe that's the best option but not every game is going to finish conveniently at around 7pm in bright sunshine and perfect conditions.

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There are some very odd, mostly Indian, cricket fans making some very strange comments generally.

I mean, the rule is daft, I think, but it's there and everyone in the game knew it. England got a reward for having people like Bairstow excel at boundary fielding. Fewer wickets and countbacks are more traditional but have their flaws. The alternative is more and more super overs - and maybe that's the best option but not every game is going to finish conveniently at around 7pm in bright sunshine and perfect conditions.

Absolutely , I’ve noticed the same across a few sites . Lot of Indians I presume throwing all kinds out . Of course if NZ had won , or even India , under the same rules it would have been sweet . India now in cricket  have the power , financial and broadcasting muscle , and sense of arrogance and superiority they use to call us out for . They’re just sore .

As someone said to me earlier ... in the champagne super over we got 15-0 and they got 15-1 so we win for losing fewer wickets anyway .

By the way what about Guptills tournament . Couldn’t buy a run , no luck , then throws the ball for the deflected 6 , then gets run out of the last ball .

And winning with Stokes national hero takes all the potential flak away from him getting a juicy full toss last ball which he just nudged to long off ! Sliding doors ...

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I mean, the rule is daft, I think, but it's there and everyone in the game knew it. England got a reward for having people like Bairstow excel at boundary fielding. Fewer wickets and countbacks are more traditional but have their flaws.

Less exciting cricket as teams are conscious about losing wickets. I prefer this approach.

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

People are trying to make it look a farce by comparing to football, ignoring the things like the away goal rule and the impact it can have on games.

There are always odd quirks, it just so happened that a few occured in one match and we benefited for a change!

I’m sure the ICC didn’t introduce these rules yesterday afternoon . We’ve been on the wrong end so much in sport if anyone thinks we’re gonna feel the tiniest bit guilty or contemplative about how it transpired ... they’ve picked the wrong country !

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

People are trying to make it look a farce by comparing to football, ignoring the things like the away goal rule and the impact it can have on games.

There are always odd quirks, it just so happened that a few occured in one match and we benefited for a change!

In the football WC if all things are equal they decide who qualifies from groups by drawing lots. All sports have to have ways sometimes odd ways of splitting even teams. As long as the rules are known before hand it’s down to the teams to sort out. 

39 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What a rubbish game

Bring back Chris Tavare

I remember Old Trafford when he had his partnership with Beefy and he was 60 or something when Beefy came in and Beefy passed him easily 

Archived