The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don’t seem to have a winning mentality in tournament sport . The odd high but repetitive failures and nearlies on the other side of the ledger . Steve Harmison nailed that exactly on the radio this morning , compared to countries like Australia . They win . This is poor to not even compete so far against these of all teams . Crowds been silent 

Anything good on TV at 11pm tonight? I was going to watch Channel 4, but...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Very depressing day at Lords, Morgan won the toss and made the RIGHT decisiion to bowl in helpful conditions and our two fast bowlers simply bowled far too short on it. Woakes looked the best trying to swing the ball. How would David Willey have done in those conditions as a Left arm swing bowler - we will never know. I make no apologies for cracking on about left armers for between them Starc and Behrendorff got 9 wickets which rather proves a point.

England will have to gamble on Jason Roy at Edgbaston. James Vince is simply not up to it. What other changes could be made. Moeen Ali is a better bowler thasn Liam Dawson when in form. Moeen is not in form and neither contributes runs nor bowls his full quota of overs with Dawson you at least know what you are going to get. As this pitch is reputedly slow at Edgbaston, Tom Curran who is still in the squad and does bowl a good slower ball might be a better bet than another "bang in into the pitch" right arm quick. Although as was pointed out to me today, England win with Liam Plunklett in the side. The problem of course with Dawson and Curran is that both would have had no competitive cricket for a number of weeks now.

Some of Crickets fourth estate are guilty of building this England ODI side un into something it was not . The flaws both technically and in the collective psyche were there for all to see if they looked hard enough. Some of the overconfident tripe written makes me want to yell at the media centre "will you not shut up". it has heaped pressure on the side and predicably they have wilted.

At the start of the thread I predicted Australia to win with the a semi-final line up of Australia, IKndia, New Zealand and England. it appears I have made one error and I will make the call now sadly England will not make the semi-finals ?

This is a crying shame because not only has the one day side played some great cricket in the last four years but this was a golden opportunity to reacquaint Britain's sporting public at large with the game of cricket an opportunity that now seems as fleeting as a James Vince innings...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Plus, playing Australia at Lords in any form of the game is almost always a gruesome experience.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Very depressing day at Lords, Morgan won the toss and made the RIGHT decisiion to bowl in helpful conditions and our two fast bowlers simply bowled far too short on it. Woakes looked the best trying to swing the ball. How would David Willey have done in those conditions as a Left arm swing bowler - we will never know. I make no apologies for cracking on about left armers for between them Starc and Behrendorff got 9 wickets which rather proves a point.

England will have to gamble on Jason Roy at Edgbaston. James Vince is simply not up to it. What other changes could be made. Moeen Ali is a better bowler thasn Liam Dawson when in form. Moeen is not in form and neither contributes runs nor bowls his full quota of overs with Dawson you at least know what you are going to get. As this pitch is reputedly slow at Edgbaston, Tom Curran who is still in the squad and does bowl a good slower ball might be a better bet than another "bang in into the pitch" right arm quick. Although as was pointed out to me today, England win with Liam Plunklett in the side. The problem of course with Dawson and Curran is that both would have had no competitive cricket for a number of weeks now.

Some of Crickets fourth estate are guilty of building this England ODI side un into something it was not . The flaws both technically and in the collective psyche were there for all to see if they looked hard enough. Some of the overconfident tripe written makes me want to yell at the media centre "will you not shut up". it has heaped pressure on the side and predicably they have wilted.

At the start of the thread I predicted Australia to win with the a semi-final line up of Australia, IKndia, New Zealand and England. it appears I have made one error and I will make the call now sadly England will not make the semi-finals ?

This is a crying shame because not only has the one day side played some great cricket in the last four years but this was a golden opportunity to reacquaint Britain's sporting public at large with the game of cricket an opportunity that now seems as fleeting as a James Vince innings...

The decision to leave Willey out of the squad made more sense until it was decided that Wood would not take the new ball.

Roy back in if anything like fit. Plunkett to come in also. Vince and Ali out. You could also make a case for Curran in for Woakes and Dawson for Rashid. There's only really Wood and Archer performed with the ball so far, with the odd cameo from Stokes.

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I still think they have an opportunity to make it. Pakistan will have to be very consistent to win 3 games in a row although the last 2 are against Bangladesh and Afghanistan. Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have tough games left. Pakistan v New Zealand is obviously a key game.

One win may still be enough for England. However Edgbaston Sunday will be like a home game for India and the pitch will suit them as it takes spin. 

The last game against New Zealand could be the one that decides whether they progress.

How do you see the semi finals now?  I originally chose India and I still think they will win. 

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Very, very disappointing.  I'll have to face our chippy owner (a fanatical Indian cricket fan) on Saturday too :9

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

It's backs to the wall now then. No margin for error. No more slip-ups possible.

Win the next two and we'll be through, and no one will remember or care about what happened in the group stages.

Fail and we should expect to get criticised, especially given that we're the home team and went into the tournament in good form.

Come on England!

I expect England to go through, but remaining two opponents are undefeated so far. My bet is that England beats India but loses to NZ, which should still see them through as the others won't be able to make up the gap with the fixtures they have remaining.

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Plus, playing Australia at Lords in any form of the game is almost always a gruesome experience.

I absolutely love Lord's. But it's at its best when you're not shoehorned in as part of a large, overpaying crowd.

I get the feeling England feel the same way. Nice place, can we go somewhere else now?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I remember people asking why we have to play an ashes test at lords !! Just go to Trent bridge , edgbaston , old Trafford , headingley and the oval ! It certainly is a very different atmosphere and away teams revel in it. Seems amazing there’s no game at Trent Bridge where we love playing , especially Jimmy , and produces great games 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I remember people asking why we have to play an ashes test at lords !! Just go to Trent bridge , edgbaston , old Trafford , headingley and the oval ! It certainly is a very different atmosphere and away teams revel in it. Seems amazing there’s no game at Trent Bridge where we love playing , especially Jimmy , and produces great games 

HQ has to have a match in every big cricketing event, be it a tour or tournament. If they didn't, the members would complain (when they woke up for lunch).

I'd take the Ashes to a selection of grounds like yours too, given the decision

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

HQ has to have a match in every big cricketing event, be it a tour or tournament. If they didn't, the members would complain (when they woke up for lunch).

I'd take the Ashes to a selection of grounds like yours too, given the decision

And all those VIP celebs . I can’t see Stephen Fry on the western terrace at Leeds helping make a snake out of beer glasses

Great atmosphere and a close finish. More squeaky bums in the England camp.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, DavidM said:

Big time 

At least the match finished just in time for the live RL.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived