The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

8 to win from 19 overs with 8 wickets left...

Still nervous anyone?

I've been following England for many years...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

38 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Final on channel 4

YES! And a new name on the trophy, whatever happens.

And what a way to get to the final! I used this picture before, but some truths are eternal, especially when we gub the Sandingistas.

1cc5f020390235.562ea82d5c724.png

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Even Bernie Sutton couldn't have saved Australia today... ?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Highlights at 10pm on C4. Don't touch that dial!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

53 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Even Bernie Sutton couldn't have saved Australia today... ?

Or Skippy

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Final on channel 4

With 'Mambo No. 5' as theme tune, I hope?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

26 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

With 'Mambo No. 5' as theme tune, I hope?

Cutting to racing mid afternoon with coverage switched to Film Four.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There's Formula 1 on C4 this Sunday, so I suppose the Cup Final will be on another C4 channel. I hope it is an HD channel.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Unfortunately no Tony Greig and Richie ..... unfortunately still Mark Nicholas

Mark Nicholas is a lot better than in those days and Tony Greig was a blowhard. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Mark Nicholas is a lot better than in those days and Tony Greig was a blowhard. 

Nicholas seems to have turned down his desire to out Charles Colville Charles Colville.

I saw him make his highest first class score, y'know.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, mickhornet said:

Mike Atherton not pleased.

Not pleased with something in particular, or is this a comment on his general disposition?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Not pleased with something in particular, or is this a comment on his general disposition?

He hasn't got More4 and wanted to watch the motor racing.

I was indulging in some pre-match banter with an Aussie friend on Wednesday. After a back and forth on the subject of sandpaper, cheating and grown Aussie men blubbing like babies she said "Let the cricket do the talking tomorrow". I agreed.

Yesterday I posted "The cricket has spoken" but oddly there has been radio silence from Brisbane since. Is everybody OK over there?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

34 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

He seems to adore the Aussies.When it was looking bad  for us.He might have a guilty conscience maybe ,he got caught ball tampering.Thank god Gower is not on,he's the same.Just my view.

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

I was indulging in some pre-match banter with an Aussie friend on Wednesday. After a back and forth on the subject of sandpaper, cheating and grown Aussie men blubbing like babies she said "Let the cricket do the talking tomorrow". I agreed.

Yesterday I posted "The cricket has spoken" but oddly there has been radio silence from Brisbane since. Is everybody OK over there?

I was looking on the channel 9 twitter page and someone was complaining that they cut off the post match and went to a documentary on Sydney harbour bridge ... they just had enough time for Taylor and Healy to say roy should be banned for the final 

16 hours ago, DavidM said:

they just had enough time for Taylor and Healy to say roy should be banned for the final 

Sensible policies for a better cricket.

Be nice for New Zealand to have all of Australia cheering them on tomorrow.

BBC World Cup team of the tournament:

1. Sharma (Ind)

2. Warner (Aus)

3. Kohli (Ind)

4. Williamson (NZ)

5. Al Hasan (Ban) 

6. Stokes (Eng)

7. Carey (Aus)

8. Woakes (Eng)

9. Starc (Aus)

10. Archer (Eng)

11. Bumrah (Ind)

Highlighted in bold are the choices that can be argued IMO. Definitely Root for Kohli and possibly the likes of Boult in place of Archer/Woakes?!

Archived