The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was exciting . My only small gripe would be the short stuff should be a precursor to his killer yorker. We’ve not really seen anything like enough of that . Push them back , shake em up then in with the sand shoe crusher . Same with Wood , they don’t need slower balls - fast short , fast full . I’m a huge fan of the Yorker and think it’s underused

Two routine wins for England and New Zealand yesterday, but a real cracker in store today between India and Australia.

The Aussies already stirring the pot by claiming Steve Smith is the best player in all three forms of the game despite the stats showing Kohli having higher averages in ODIs and T20.

Lets hope India’s talisman proves a point today in response.

India 41/0 after 10 overs in a delicately poised contest at the Oval.

The Aussies will feel they’ve prevented an early breakout by the Indians in terms of the run rate.

However the batting side will think they’ve avoided the loss of any early wickets setting a decent foundation for what might follow.

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

India now 111-0 after 20 overs.

Rohit 46, Dhawan 62.

It’s starting to get away from the Aussies a little who will desperate for a breakthrough.

Rohit has been caught. Just as they were beginning to accelerate away. 

Kohli is in now, always a key player. The middle order is the potential weakness so this partnership is important.

Dhawan falls for 117 after being caught near the boundary trying to play a big shot - great knock all in all.

Vital for India to put their foot down now and Pandya has come in higher up the order.

India 220-2 after 37 overs.

Edit: Australia’s wk drops a routine catch behind that would of seen the new batsman walking almost straight away!

I have a horrible feeling that the Australians are playing themselves into form. Their fielding's been very good.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Australia currently on 252 for 6 (41 overs), needing 106 runs from 54 balls.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good Performance by England against a side in form and not to be taken lightly. In this competition getting a solid start is essential and if you have wickets in hand going into the last 15 overs you can bat the opposition out of the game . Anything north of 340 seems the limit for a side batting second.

Englans showed flexibility in the batting order moving Buttler up the order, a move that can go either way but if it pays off wins the game for you.

Seen highlights of India v Australia. - Not changing my predictions but Australia need to:

• Show flexibility in the batting line up as England did
  • Bring Nathan Lyon in for Adam Zampa - Proper spinner not T20 leggie
  • Get Alex Carey up the order

Some Pics from Cardiff

1  England !

2 Roy and Bairstow prepare to go out

3 Jason Roy gets out the Off Drive

4 The View from the Pavillion - Square on

5 If you want to get ahead. Wear a hat..,..

6 MushFiqur Rahim Square Cuts

7. A Job well done

DSC_0350 (2).JPG

DSC_0351.JPG

DSC_0352.JPG

DSC_0357.JPG

DSC_0360.JPG

DSC_0361.JPG

DSC_0364.JPG

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The West Indies will be pretty disappointed to have to settle for a draw with South Africa after the way they started.

Seems the weather could play a crucial role if we’re not careful in terms of deciding who makes the knockout stage.

Those are the risks of playing a tournament in England, which makes the new structure of the cup pretty much as sensible as possible. If they'd gone for pools of 4, for instance, a whole pool's fixtures could easily have been rained off. As it is, everyone plays everyone else before the elimination starts.

If we were playing somewhere with more predictably sunny weather, that might seem like overkill, especially if it was somewhere punishingly hot.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Am I being dense? If teams are only playing every 3-4 days, if it rains on the first day, why can't they just have another go the next day? We are not talking about long distances.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

why can't they just have another go the next day?

Because the ICC have mandated that not only can there not be extra time beyond (I believe) an hour on the day but there will not be any reserve days.

Only in the rarefied atmosphere of cricket administration does this make any sense at all.

See also: why the World Cup has shrunk to 10 teams ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Am I being dense? If teams are only playing every 3-4 days, if it rains on the first day, why can't they just have another go the next day? We are not talking about long distances.

Broadcasting demands, probably. Without TV being involved, you could bung both sides (plus officials) on a bus and play somewhere where the next day's forecast is good.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Broadcasting demands, probably. Without TV being involved, you could bung both sides (plus officials) on a bus and play somewhere where the next day's forecast is good.

The broadcasters are missing out as much as anyone when there’s no play so I doubt they would have an issue with games having reserve days. 

Archived