Jordan Lilley signs permanently for the Bulls

16 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

I'm very happy with the club making Jordan a permanent Bull.  He's an excellent local young player with a lot of qualities already, a great attitude, and with plenty of potential for getting even better.  He's exactly the sort of player that we want.  We've also got Rowan Milnes and Joe Keyes to fill the 6 shirt, plus of course players coming through the academy and reserves, so we're progressing nicely in that area.  We need good young players to build a club around.  Second youngest in the Championship I think Mick said the other day.  This is our strategy and I'm happy with that. 

How's his injury progressing? As one of his former junior coaches down in Essex, I have always kept a keen eye on his progress. 

2 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

How's his injury progressing? As one of his former junior coaches down in Essex, I have always kept a keen eye on his progress. 

It seems like he is pretty much back in full training. Tweeted just the other day about doing a full session with the team.

Hopefully, we'll bring him back gradually. He must be a mile off being match fit, he had no proper pre-season. 

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 13:20, Northern Eel said:

There are part-time players at Bradford earning £13-14k.

Forgive my speculation that some clubs might be living beyond their means, to achieve their longed-for SL status. Time will tell, but I personally won't be donating again when it does go wrong.

We've also received £100+ for Wilson, saving nearly that on Chisholm and it looks like our second highest earner, Ryan will be leaving.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

3 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

We've also received £100+ for Wilson, saving nearly that on Chisholm and it looks like our second highest earner, Ryan will be leaving.

All good then. Massive contracts to start with. Maybe this signals a different approach? 

17 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

All good then. Massive contracts to start with. Maybe this signals a different approach? 

No. Not massive contracts at all. Chiz had a sponsor. Wilson was an academy player who’d played 1/2 first team games. Ethan won’t be getting very much at the moment but there’s a new improved offer on the table as he’s OOC and getting SL offers.

Facts n all that...keep sniping.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

19 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

No. Not massive contracts at all. Chiz had a sponsor. Wilson was an academy player who’d played 1/2 first team games. Ethan won’t be getting very much at the moment but there’s a new improved offer on the table as he’s OOC and getting SL offers.

Facts n all that...keep sniping.

I’m not sniping at all. I am trying to make sense of what you have reported. As I said earlier, I really don’t care what they are paying out at all. That’s totally up to them and their pockets.  I have made no mention of Ethan’s contract, you just like to pretend that I have (unless you can point out where I have?)

If you’re saying Chisholm was receiving  nigh-on 100k, that’s a blinking good deal in the championship and one very unlikely to be matched anywhere outside the top title contenders. Even if the sponsors were ploughing in a quarter of that, the club would be paying much more than the (suggested) average for a championship player. Do you agree with that? How much more than an average player in the Championship is DC? 

On 30/05/2019 at 12:35, Northern Eel said:

There's some money being splashed around in the Championship. How long before we see the begging bowl out again?

On 30/05/2019 at 12:59, Northern Eel said:

They can pay them what they want, if they've got it. History points to some clubs being unable to fund their plans. Bradford are one of these.

There are some players in the Championship earning double the national average salary. 

On 30/05/2019 at 13:20, Northern Eel said:

There are part-time players at Bradford earning £13-14k.

Forgive my speculation that some clubs might be living beyond their means, to achieve their longed-for SL status. Time will tell, but I personally won't be donating again when it does go wrong.

On 30/05/2019 at 14:42, Northern Eel said:

And I guess that's where the concern is. If they aren't likely to make it anytime soon, can they make the books balance?

18 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

No sniping here. Nothing to see, move along please. 

4 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

No sniping here. Nothing to see, move along please. 

So having a hunch based on historical facts, and a concern over the sustainability of a club that is integral to the game is sniping? If that’s sniping, I make no apology for sharing my fears about the way the game might be heading. Sorry if you didn’t like me using Bradford as an example. There are other clubs I could have used, clearly. If you’re happy with the way things are going, that’s really great. 

Are you going to answer the rest of my post, or just cut and paste mine? 

7 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

So having a hunch based on historical facts, and a concern over the sustainability of a club that is integral to the game is sniping? If that’s sniping, I make no apology for sharing my fears about the way the game might be heading. Sorry if you didn’t like me using Bradford as an example. There are other clubs I could have used, clearly. If you’re happy with the way things are going, that’s really great. 

Are you going to answer the rest of my post, or just cut and paste mine? 

Sorry mate, you lost me at ‘begging bowl’

23 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

Sorry mate, you lost me at ‘begging bowl’

As the Bulls did me (and many others), second time round.

I don't want to see them, or anyone else head down that road again, hence my concern. Clearly you're happy with the way things are going. That's lovely. As you still weren't interested in answering the question I asked you, I assume that's now the end of this? 

Bad luck today. Could have gone either way. I'm sure there will be other opportunities in the future.  Us neutrals found it quite an entertaining game.

Batley next up, i think? That'll be a totally different proposition. Let's hope that attracts a decent crowd too.

Jordan Lilley is a nuggety halfback who grafts, tackles and kicks well. He keeps his head up and is always encouraging the other players. For a successful team, he needs a flair halfback, with sidestep and pace, to accompany him. Rowan Milnes was looking promising and will be a great player in the future. Signing Lilley is a great relief.

Team-building at Odsal has been pretty good in the backs. Mattie Wildie (standoff till Milnes returns), Rhys Evans and Foggy have been great signings.

The problems arise in the forwards. Someone needs to sort out the pack regime and sharpish.

Why sign Colton Roche when Jon Magrin and Callum Bustin aren't getting a game? On current form, Bustin is better than him for the current style of play and the salary could have gone towards keeping some of our very promising young guns. Connor Farrell is a grafter and makes the odd break but he rarely passes and gives penalties away too often. Matt Garside hasn't been getting a game but was great for us last season. We don't have an out-and-out loose forward. We are playing five-drives-and-a-kick with a side depleted in strong bashers.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Like all 'fringe' SL players they are pushed from pillar to post to get a game as they are rarely wanted by their 'home' club. This is hardly conducive to their development. 

FWIW, I think we've got a good young player because of this but in SL the system needs to change and it should be a condition of membership that they run a reserve side or players like Jordan are going to fall by the wayside. In these situations my mind is often drawn back to Jamie Peacock, who, superb player as he turned out to be, never really commanded a place in the Bulls' side until he was around 22 years old. The best of the best don't always burst onto the scene at 18.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Archived