Another league restructure?

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/hints-at-more-championship-expansion-clubs-could-merge/

Another restructure coming?

I know people will complain about how often we restructure, but we're getting new opportunities here rather than trying to shake things up.

I think 14 and 16 could work very well, but if funding is going to be cut, what plans will be in place for the clubs below the Championship? What will happen to future expansion clubs? Which current clubs may choose to merge or relocate to save or gain a place?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Andrew Chalmers really is an unpleasant man, isn’t he? I take it Bradford won’t be competing in the play-offs come the end of the season this year, should they get in them. After all, he doesn’t give a toss. 

Anyway, there’s too much disparity in the Championship between the top end and the bottom and it should have been fine tuned into a smaller, more competitive league, IMO, during the restructure of 2018. 

2 hours ago, Moove said:

The usual classy comments from Chalmers at the bottom of that I see. Considering how much he seems to hate SL he spends an awful lot of time talking about it.

I think he has a good point, the SL shafted the lower leagues last year, the championship are fighting back. UTR

6 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/hints-at-more-championship-expansion-clubs-could-merge/

Another restructure coming?

I know people will complain about how often we restructure, but we're getting new opportunities here rather than trying to shake things up.

I think 14 and 16 could work very well, but if funding is going to be cut, what plans will be in place for the clubs below the Championship? What will happen to future expansion clubs? Which current clubs may choose to merge or relocate to save or gain a place?

seems more like a rant to me than anything based on discussion.. If he was there he may do this, he has no basis to think its what will happen than "they've rejigged it before so why not". 

I'm with him on the "I wouldn't be surprised" front but i;ve seen comments on this board with more substance behind it than this to be honest.

If anything like this were to happen a key thing they would need to put in place is the structure below and how you dont just leave clubs there in limbo. There has been some good growth there in the last couple of years and to suddenly cut them adrift would damage some of the newer growth clubs irreparably. 

18 minutes ago, Fev1983 said:

I think he has a good point, the SL shafted the lower leagues last year, the championship are fighting back. UTR

Which bit of his point? Creating random clubs in Lyon and Paris despite the fact he 'couldnt give a toss' about rugby in France? The bit about how 20 years and a gazillion pounds has only achieved a good SL side, the current CC holders and a championship team better than his?

Interesting to note the lack of details about potential structure change. Would the funding to L1 stay the same to offset the fewer games they'd play? I mean the Championship teams wouldn't be engaging in some form of protectionism shafting a lower league in the process would they?

Maybe the Championship could provide larger handouts to L1 with all of the commercial income Chalmers is going to generate.

People wont like this but there simply has to be a limit,as to the number of clubs the RFL/SL can help fund.

Cricket has 18 clubs in two divisions,Union essentially funds 24 clubs in two divisions,league simply cant fund 30 odd clubs over three divisions.Determining the crioteria for say 28 clubs is the difficulty but geography,financial stability,the amateur game surely must be included.As ever,not everyone will be happy.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Andrew Chalmers really is an unpleasant man, isn’t he? I take it Bradford won’t be competing in the play-offs come the end of the season this year, should they get in them. After all, he doesn’t give a toss.

Nah he'd get to SL and donate all of Bradford's share of the TV money to the lower leagues of course. RL's answer to Robin Hood.

So, for all the stick he seems to give Super League for the “power grab” of 2018, he’s seemingly advocating getting a load of clubs together and pulling up the drawbridge on the rest. Wasn’t this his and some of the lower leagues’ chairman’s beef with Super League in the first place? 

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So, for all the stick he seems to give Super League for the “power grab” of 2018, he’s seemingly advocating getting a load of clubs together and pulling up the drawbridge on the rest. Wasn’t this his and some of the lower leagues’ chairman’s beef with Super League in the first place? 

Yes it was

However the restructure last year was only ever going to be phase 1 until the new TV deal & the SL re-restructure were sorted. 

There is some excellent work going in in League 1 this year and it is a very competitive division 

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

Yes it was

However the restructure last year was only ever going to be phase 1 until the new TV deal & the SL re-restructure were sorted. 

There is some excellent work going in in League 1 this year and it is a very competitive division 

There is and if Angry, Angry Andy from Bradford gets his way, that work will be redundant, as will the clubs. 

44 minutes ago, cookey said:

People wont like this but there simply has to be a limit,as to the number of clubs the RFL/SL can help fund.

Cricket has 18 clubs in two divisions,Union essentially funds 24 clubs in two divisions,league simply cant fund 30 odd clubs over three divisions.Determining the crioteria for say 28 clubs is the difficulty but geography,financial stability,the amateur game surely must be included.As ever,not everyone will be happy.

i certainly dont disagree with what you say logically. however, when doing this they need to look at where there has been growth in League one and why it is there and there needs to be some sort of plan on how that can continue and how non heartland teams can continue to develop without a strong structure underneath them.

IMHO to not do that and just ring fence would be disastrous for any growth in the game. However, if it was fully thought through (wishful thinking) with a plan of how these clubs develop and grow and what structure they can use to do it then it can work. To do what Chalmers says here and just basically cut them adrift would not work.

Even in the heartlands there would need to be a  new structure/system to either reintroduce teams to the "amateur" set up or to form a new structure/league below this.. you cannot just go "sink or swim" and expect people to be on board. 

A full and proper restructure could get broad support if what came made sense and helped (and before anyone asks.. no i havent got any clue on how that would look but equally nor does Chalmers and he seems to be allowed to spout this bunch of BS at will and gets paid for it!)

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So if they increase up to 16 is it more games or not playing everybody else ? 

And we could see clubs forced to merge or go back to amateur status ? 

The answer is simple:  SL of 14, then Championship stays the same.

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

SL of 10, Championship of 10, and League One made up of the rest and the best run SL side’s reserve sides. 

You like ' loop ' fixtures then ?

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

SL of 10, Championship of 10, and League One made up of the rest and the best run SL side’s reserve sides. 

Can't do that since many of the fans over there would then blame expansion for the reduction...this would be incorrect logic but that is what they would think.  It would be : BLAME TORONTO!, BLAME OTTAWA!

12 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You like ' loop ' fixtures then ?

No, I’m a fan of quality, no quantity and there isn’t enough quality in Super League at present, so delusions of grandeur that two extra teams will magically improve said quality, are exactly that, delusions of grandeur. 

While in an ideal world, a 14 team Super League with 27 weekly rounds (the standard H&A and Magic) is preferable, I just cannot see why we’d lean towards that in the next couple of years, given the lack of quality we see currently.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

No, I’m a fan of quality, no quantity and there isn’t enough quality in Super League at present, so delusions of grandeur that two extra teams will magically improve said quality, are exactly that, delusions of grandeur. 

While in an ideal world, a 14 team Super League with 27 weekly rounds (the standard H&A and Magic) is preferable, I just cannot see why we’d lean towards that in the next couple of years, given the lack of quality we see currently.

Would it not have been better to have the brains department look at ways of improving the quality rather than just go for a power grab,retain the money for themselves,and then play more games than former international players,and coaches,have stated in the past,as being too many?

It wasn't that long ago that a 10 club Super League was the way ahead.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/jamie-peacock-column-time-for-super-league-to-take-action/

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

10 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Go the whole hog and have a super greed consisting of 4 teams playing each other 8 times as well as the pointless magic weekend 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

43 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

You’d celebrate your team being promoted to Super League.

Goodnight. 

Sorry pal.  I thought it was you being elitist 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Archived