Taking the hill.

I reckon the breeze has a bigger influence than the slope in all honesty but I'm with Piggy's Mate in thinking it is more psychological than physical. 

Particularly when Harrison was in charge, we always seemed to score more points uphill than down. The Barrow game is one that particularly sticks in the memory, not least for Ash Linsday's wonder try from the base of the scrum inside his own half. 

When we play down hill with the wind behind us like today its ideal 20/40 kicking but I cant remember us trying for one. We are also very shy when it comes to taking a 1 pointer. I wish we could integrate more of the said in our game tactics. 

and bring some tommo special  bouncing grubbers back to baffle folks and score off now and again. gave them more to think about than a chip over for an easy catch.

Agree Silverback and Dog Forever, we are quite predictable in certain areas. Also, have you noticed that a lot of clubs are now catching up on the Steiny/Geary drop off pass and one or two (Brough did it yesterday) are pulling off the old Jackie Perry reverse kick throughs!! I've always said that when we're on 5th tackle 20/25 yards out and looking a bit lost we should always come away with a point. Bradford had the same thing today, they could have changed the game today if they'd taken 1 pointers on about 3 occasions. Now that we've turned a bit of a corner confidence wise we could add a few extra strings.

11 hours ago, phildog said:

Agree Silverback and Dog Forever, we are quite predictable in certain areas. Also, have you noticed that a lot of clubs are now catching up on the Steiny/Geary drop off pass and one or two (Brough did it yesterday) are pulling off the old Jackie Perry reverse kick throughs!! I've always said that when we're on 5th tackle 20/25 yards out and looking a bit lost we should always come away with a point. Bradford had the same thing today, they could have changed the game today if they'd taken 1 pointers on about 3 occasions. Now that we've turned a bit of a corner confidence wise we could add a few extra strings.

they could a won if they laft flanny on,game changed when he were around.

32 minutes ago, silverback said:

they could a won if they laft flanny on,game changed when he were around.

Really he tried to wind up murrell and failed also his one trick pony move when he throws the dummy and tries to dive over.. Flanagan wouldn’t get in this team over Leak or butterworth atm 

If we play like we did against fax we will beat Bradford 

15 hours ago, phildog said:

I think today's result and commanding show 2nd half puts the argument to bed. 

Assuming you mean the hill being an advantage, it really doesn't!

This is exactly why I asked earlier in the thread if anyone had done any analysis of the uphill/downhill scores over a period of time.

You need a decent sample size before you can make any conclusions about data.

If a factor (such as the hill) is worth on average 12 points per half, that doesn't mean either that the team with the hill is going to score 12 points more than the downhill team every half, or even that the uphill team will always score most points.

Over a period of time - 2 or 3 years should show the full picture - if the hill proves worth 12 points on average, you are going to get a few "outlier" games - some in which the uphill points outscore the downhill points by some margin, and plenty in which the downhill points outscore the uphill points by a big margin.

It's a bit like home advantage - one win for the away team (or even a few) doesn't put to bed the theory of being at home being an advantage.

3 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Really he tried to wind up murrell and failed also his one trick pony move when he throws the dummy and tries to dive over.. Flanagan wouldn’t get in this team over Leak or butterworth atm 

If we play like we did against fax we will beat Bradford 

Especially as they have a game on Wednesday up at Barrow.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Fev have a slope although less pronounced. In my time Ive seen Fev take teams apart up the slope as well as down and in reverse I have seen visiting teams do the same. In my opinion a good team will very often beat a bad one.

Agree. Often I think the slope tends to just exaggerate the differences between teams.

29 minutes ago, phildog said:

Which Butterworth is that in Bulls team?

think we only grabbed him for a month loan at start a things, he got a 3 year deal in 2017 with bulls.i get dizzy sometimes with loans and DR,what we had so far from DR, russell,were dicko and wood loans, i think to say were DR with giants fev did better with holmes and furguson. would a rather not bothered but those in the know seem to like DR.

1 hour ago, silverback said:

think we only grabbed him for a month loan at start a things, he got a 3 year deal in 2017 with bulls.i get dizzy sometimes with loans and DR,what we had so far from DR, russell,were dicko and wood loans, i think to say were DR with giants fev did better with holmes and furguson. would a rather not bothered but those in the know seem to like DR.

Tyler Dickinson is a batley player , sam wood is season loan and Reiss is dual reg

IMG_0583.JPG

1 hour ago, ernieone said:

That's Ryan Butterworth (younger brother) Reece is still on loan with us.

dident know about ryan, i were talking about reece thou, now BB says hes DR so am more baffled.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjWmqy3wNLiAhXWShUIHZnLChAQFjABegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FReiss_Butterworth&usg=AOvVaw3rq1H_k78p6PEointDyxh5

16 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

Tyler Dickinson is a batley player , sam wood is season loan and Reiss is dual reg

cheers. so we had russel and butterworth on DR.  anymore??

51 minutes ago, silverback said:

cheers. so we had russel and butterworth on DR.  anymore??

I wouldn’t say so , lillycrop and Tyler are both close to a return , Yates and reittie 2 to 3 week away 

IMG_0583.JPG

Archived