Peterborough By Election

Just now, Shadow said:

As an MEP he can't

Is that a change? Cos he's stood before whilst being an MEP, and we've had some politicians like Caroline Lucas who have been both at the same time (I think).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Why didn’t Farage just stand himself ? You’d think his force of personality would have bridged that gap ?

There must be some aspect of gun-shyness for Farage, I wonder how many more losses he can take in FPTP elections before he loses it entirely.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, Shadow said:

As an MEP he can't

He's tried repeatedly in the past though while serving as an MEP, I think he said he'd stand down as a MEP if he became an MP.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What again ? He's a stone cold loser. Now where have I heard that phrase before ?

This was the one though . Open goal you’d think in a big leave constituency with an imploding Tory party and a disgraced labour MP along with the national labour woes . And his party on a big high . He copped out , no doubt 

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

This was the one though . Open goal you’d think in a big leave constituency with an imploding Tory party and a disgraced labour MP along with the national labour woes . And his party on a big high . He copped out , no doubt 

Yes, it was a Brexiteer's wet dream of a constituency and they still lost. You couldn't make it up.

43 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The by election also had the advantage of bursting the Lib Dem bubble. How poor do you have to be to finish behind the Tories in somewhere like Peterborough these days ?

They tripled the actual numbers of people voting for them on a reduced turnout from the GE. You can try very hard to spin the result but you're talking rubbish. 

16 minutes ago, Shadow said:

They tripled the actual numbers of people voting for them on a reduced turnout from the GE. You can try very hard to spin the result but you're talking rubbish. 

The Lib Dems are no different to the Brexit Party, in so much as they are a protest vote party. When it comes down to the serious stuff of national politics they are found wanting.

8 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

The Lib Dems are no different to the Brexit Party, in so much as they are a protest vote party. When it comes down to the serious stuff of national politics they are found wanting.

I agree that they are currently a protest party. They are still severely wounded by the coalition government.

However, they are far more than the Brexit party. People know where else they stand and are not using them in exactly the same way. 

12 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I agree that they are currently a protest party. They are still severely wounded by the coalition government.

However, they are far more than the Brexit party. People know where else they stand and are not using them in exactly the same way. 

And more importantly they have the large local support capable of knowing the area, voter appetites, flyer drops and so on. The Brexit Party will sit around hoping the BBC does their job for them. 

Just been on local telly, a Labour party member thanks the Tory candidate for doing so well as that stopped the Brexit party from winning.

Politics, confusing?

25 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

People know where they stand alright. Hand in hand with the Tories.

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They came fourth !

They have come third or fourth in that constituency since 1974

Your ridiculous assertions about Hand in Hand with the tories only highlight your own bitterness and jealousy.

The fact is the Lib Dems are the only viable opposition to the Tory / Brexit lumpen mass and the Labour confusion that is current UK politics

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

They have come third or fourth in that constituency since 1974

Your ridiculous assertions about Hand in Hand with the tories only highlight your own bitterness and jealousy.

The fact is the Lib Dems are the only viable opposition to the Tory / Brexit lumpen mass and the Labour confusion that is current UK politics

It doesn't sound like the voters in Peterborough would agree with you. Winners are grinners matey. Better luck next time.

Apparently when the result became obvious, instead of smiling and braving it out, Farage sneaked off, and left the candidate to make the excuses.  I've noticed on the BBC that the emphasis is on Labour losing its share of the vote.  Not a mention of the Tories disastrous showing. This was a  Tory seat two years ago.,  They showed  the preening posturing Gove, saying what a wonderful MP the Tory would have made, and the seemingly obligatory blackguarding of Corbyn, of course.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

38 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Just been on local telly, a Labour party member thanks the Tory candidate for doing so well as that stopped the Brexit party from winning.

Politics, confusing?

Very true, though.

I was surprised to see the Tory vote holding up as much as it did.

The Brexit candidate just wasn't good enough to pull them across.

Farage will only go for a seat he thinks he is going to win, as I'm sure the 7 times loser tag smarts.  Peterborough was a decent seat but not a cast iron chance.  It is a mixed rural and urban seat, which is why its a tory/Lab marginal.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Peterborough was a decent seat but not a cast iron chance.  It is a mixed rural and urban seat, which is why its a tory/Lab marginal.  

Someone from the Brexit Party said last night on the Andrew Neil politics show that it was something like 200th on their list of targets.

4 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Someone from the Brexit Party said last night on the Andrew Neil politics show that it was something like 200th on their list of targets.

Yes, the claim is that it was 201st on their list.

In actual fact it was 1 on their list because there isn't a general election coming up and they, in particular Toad of Toad Hall himself, were very clear that they were on to win.

Why do you think his little publicity stunt with the letter was done today rather than Wednesday?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I think that is expectation management.  It was a good chance for them, not necessarily the best, but given the timing, the momentum of the EU elections, the publicity, the fact it was a by election, the circumstances of the by election, etc,  I think they will be disappointed.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Is that a change? Cos he's stood before whilst being an MEP, and we've had some politicians like Caroline Lucas who have been both at the same time (I think).

Changed in 2002.

Archived