Referee abuse & threats

I'll check my pics but i'm fairly sure. The lads on the field were amicable by comparison. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sparse Attendance said:

I think “Head Of Official’s : Mr Ganson” has got to tell the Ref’s to start clamping down on backchat every time. Keep taking them back 10yards, and keep binning them. What i didn’t like today was Lomax going in front of the Ref demanding that the Wakey player (who did an alleged high tackle on a Saints man) should get 10mins in the bin. That was poor from Lomax. 

I agree. I think there should be a zero tolerance to back chat on the field. The abusive crowds is/are (as they say in America) a whole nuther problem! 

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

I think its one of the main barriers to spreading the game. I brought a friend to a summer bash game between Leigh and Toronto last year and some of the crowds behaviour really upset my friend. Referee baiting, disgusting language, threats and raised fists made it feel like a visit to the chimpanzee enclosure at feeding time. Anyway, he told me it was an experience but not one he ever wanted to repeat. I think its a ''problem'' the game needs to address. 

I think that is a fair comment,  I think many vent their anger at rugby at all levels to react to everyday social problems ,its a way of getting rid of pent up problems, but the officials could sort the onfield side of it.

11 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I think that is a fair comment,  I think many vent their anger at rugby at all levels to react to everyday social problems ,its a way of getting rid of pent up problems, but the officials could sort the onfield side of it.

Whatever is done on the field, there will be some who will whinge, scream and bellow about (mostly imaginary) bias, incompetence and institutionalised corruption. Yes, they would do that even if there was a way to prove every single decision was 100% correct without any leeway for doubt. It is the infantilised, over-entitled mentality that makes people yell "fake news!" because that is much easier than actually looking and thinking.

Pity them; they can't even go on Jeremy Kyle to vent any more.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

We need to do more to make fans realise refs are in the rugby league family. Refs also should feel they are in the family.

Our wonderful pastime only works because we are all in this together.

The NRL Referees Round-Up is a good podcast for those who are interested. On it refs admit errors, explain rule interpretations etc.

Amazing what you see when you are watching a match supporting one of the teams.

Have been to many games when I and thousands of others thought the ref had made a howler only for the match recording to prove me wrong

We have a habit of seeing what we want to see

While we all agree that standards could be higher the refs we have are doing their best and a job not many of us would fancy. They need as much support as can be provided and certainly not idiots posting threats on twitter

19 hours ago, headtackle said:

While we all agree that standards could be higher the refs we have are doing their best and a job not many of us would fancy.

Here's a report which includes percentage accuracy for penalty calls by rugby league officials.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/30267190.pdf

I'd love to know if there was anything more recent out there.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 01/06/2019 at 20:28, Sparse Attendance said:

I think “Head Of Official’s : Mr Ganson” has got to tell the Ref’s to start clamping down on backchat every time. Keep taking them back 10yards, and keep binning them. What i didn’t like today was Lomax going in front of the Ref demanding that the Wakey player (who did an alleged high tackle on a Saints man) should get 10mins in the bin. That was poor from Lomax. 

I agree, but backchat isn't black and white, it's shades of grey. 

Personal abuse should always be penalised but the more sensible referees realise that even pros might use the odd expletive in the heat of the moment.

What I am about to say might peeve a few people on here, but sometimes it's best to wear the initial curse and then work with that player later on. Instantly pinging him leads to a breakdown of communication, yellow/red cards and ultimately a poorer spectacle. Whereas allowing him to vent and then getting next to him on the 10m next set with a "Johnny, I only give what I can see" can get him back onside and keeps the game 13 v 13. 

Player management is not about being a dictator. Those who think players will look at the sanctions being dished out and simply fall in line are living in Disneyland. This is rugby league, blokes are getting hit, they're going to go very close to or beyond the line sometimes. This is why the best referees are man managers. That sometimes means allowing players to let off steam. 

Archived