Gilmour 

Was he better than any of these? 

Westwood

lealui

Ellis

Smith (Jason)

Perrellini

7 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Everything is about the Super League era though. Every stat used by Sky, every article of this nature etc are SL era only. After a while it’s tiresome. 

It's absolutely no different in the NRL, watch any game and pretty much all the game stats are NRL era.

Other sports are the same though, this is not RL exclusive.

Understand why as they are trying to sell what is happening now, but it does irk me sometimes.

Off the top of my head from Wigan alone to the above names I would add Simon Haughton, Phil Bailey, Thomas Leuluai, Stuart Fielden, Terry Newton, Mick Cassidy, Gareth Hock and Michael McIlorum as better SL forwards. Not necessarily more popular or successful, but certainly better in my view.

I rate Ryan Bailey at around the Ricky Bibey level (no offence to Ricky if he reads this) in terms of playing ability, he was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time at Leeds.

7 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Everything is about the Super League era though. Every stat used by Sky, every article of this nature etc are SL era only. After a while it’s tiresome. 

Same with the Premier League but I think football acknowledge pre PL more than rugby league acknolages pre Super League, for example when Leeds won their last title it was their 8th, with everyone completely ignoring the 3 they won before SL.

As for threads like this it is more relevant and easier to create a list of the past 20 years than the last 125 years

8 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Did RL not exist before ‘96?

yes, but Super League didn’t, but either way Bailey wouldn’t be on many people’s top 20 players in any period. However, he might make the top 20 anti hero list of quite a few.

9 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Apparently he's the 17th best forward ever in the SL era ahead of Lee Gilmour and Chris Hill according to RL World. That is literally one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in all my years as a RL fan. 

Al though lists like that are fairly subjective, the inclusion of Bailey in any top 100 forwards of SL area would surely be ludicrous, let alone top 20.

He played in a very good Leeds team and managed to keep his place so I suppose that says a little for him.

As for being above Chris Hill, well, Hill seems to be transforming into a Ryan Bailey type figure with each passing week. Outstanding forward when joining Wire a while back, he now seems to only get noticed for the number of times he gets dragged out by the ref for unsavoury incidents, and that's aside from him being spoken to as captain.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

250+ views and 20 replies on here alone. Now factor in social media platforms of Facebook and Twitter plus then people who write into RL World.

They’ve done their job. They’ve created content that is so subjective that people are reacting to it and generating hits on websites, replies on social media and potentially sales in newsagents and train stations of the physical copy of the magazine.  

Whether Ryan Bailey ranked 1st or 237th in a poll, there is no actual barometer to measure “best” by, so RLW have done this well. 

He had the potential to be in the top 10 when he first appeared on the scene , great I thought , this kids going to smash the Aussies all over the pitch , then he just became a bit of a joke , more interested in winding up the opposition than playing RL or developing his game 

Shame 

9 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

.... and have you ever heard the SKY football commentators refer to Dixie Deans 60 goals in a season when discussing the Premiership leading scorers?

10 hours ago, Rawschach said:

Sculthorpe

A Farrell

Fielden 

Fairleigh

Vagana

Anderson 

Morley

Hill 

Graham 

Sinfield

Mackay 

Cunningham 

Roby

Lowes

Peacock 

O Loughlin 

Bateman 

Whitehead 

Vowles

Bird

Burgess

McNamara 

Shiels

Walmsley

Thompson 

Forshaw

Watts 

Clarke

L Farrell

Dymock 

Hetherington 

Lautiti 

Delaney 

Gilmour 

Was he better than any of these? 

While in total agreement with the OP,  Bailey is certainly better than the converted winger Mackay and the blown up full back Mcnamara...

Easy way to judge these things is their value to a club etc - great players demand top wages...

I bet he hasn’t got a massive amount in the bank!

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

14 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

While in total agreement with the OP,  Bailey is certainly better than the converted winger Mackay and the blown up full back Mcnamara...

I meant Brad Mackay the loose forward who played for Bradford.  McNamara was quality for a couple of seasons so I stand by that one.

1 minute ago, Rawschach said:

I meant Brad Mackay the loose forward who played for Bradford.  McNamara was quality for a couple of seasons so I stand by that one.

Decent player in Australia but one season with Bradford with not the greatest impact, although Challenge Cup win,  is hardly comparable to a multi season , multi grand final career in SL. Whilst Bailey is far from a "great"I think the Bradford/Leeds stuff is getting in the way there...

Archived