If Daryl Powell is ambitious he'll go to Leeds

55 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Powelly has done a great job at Cas but if he really wants to win silverware he needs to go to a big club. Cas ain't it. 

Discuss. 

Leeds isn’t exactly the go-to club anymore.  GH buttering him up in the press though so the money on offer might make Darryl think a bit.

Maybe he’s hanging on for the new stadium.

16 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Leeds isn’t exactly the go-to club anymore.  GH buttering him up in the press though so the money on offer might make Darryl think a bit.

Maybe he’s hanging on for the new stadium.

Can't see him still being in the game when he is 80 !!

I think he’s chance to win anything at Cas has been and gone, he’s laid a solid foundation there, maybe someone else needs to come in and take them to that next level.

Question is would he come back to Leeds?But look at who are the three best English coaches in the country? Powell, Chester and Watson IMO

54 minutes ago, snapski said:

Already been at Leeds, where he was stabbed in the back. That’s got to be on his mind.

knowing you’re possibly only a dozen games into your tenure from the sack too. 

He wasn't ready for the job last time.

He remains on exceptionally good terms with at least two members of the Leeds board.

3 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Powelly has done a great job at Cas but if he really wants to win silverware he needs to go to a big club. Cas ain't it. 

Discuss. 

To get the job once at Leeds might be a misfortune Mr Daddy, to get the job twice looks like carelessness.

"The whole theory of modern coaching is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, coaching produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to NRL prejudice and probably lead to endless crying over tins of Tooheys."

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

How much money has Richard Agar had to bet on himself for those odds to shorten to 7/1?

I’ll talk you through the odds;

Danny Ward- ex player done well with London. His Dad coached Leeds as well 

Richard Marshall- Last seen with Kevin Sinfield before Furner was sacked

Richard Agar- Caretaker coach

Tony Smith- Ex Leeds coach currently out of work

Shaun Wane- Publicly not ruled himself out of the job

Shane Flanagan- Ex NRL coach looking to redeem himself

8 hours ago, JonM said:

He's already won the Championship with Fev, not sure why he'd want to win it again with a different club?

I'm sure Danny Ward can do it again with the London Broncos.

Powell is a coach who has a reputation of improving players 

I am not sure thatb8s what Leeds want or need and if there is rot in the club a la sinfield comments then Powell won’t necessarily be the answer to the structures around the first team 

so unlike Cas where he will have a very real presence in the whole structure of the club at Leeds he will have a much more limited but higher profile role

and no right now I wouldn’t want to work under sinfield who by his own admission has a measure of ocd and is now under a great deal of pressure having already tendered his resignation and being preferred to furner by Hetherington 

That’s not a healthy place right now 

agar will have a guaranteed job and may even have a taste for coaching even though he wasn’t employed in that capacity however he would do well to stay out of coaching now and go back to the job he was employed to do otherwise keeping a team up raises expectations that team won’t rise to for some time unless there are new faces brought in for key positions and that’s not necessarily the best players but the right personalities 

agar can’t coach like Powell and he doesn’t have a good track record as a head coach although he has a good rep as an assistant 

of all the coaches waney is exactly what they need for the next few years but has a very limited shelf life and would not flourish under sinfield if furner who was said to be sinfield friend couldn’t rub along with him then waney who clearly likes to be his own man has no chance 

same with most of the names on that list

the one who could ride that oversight would probably be Ian Watson at Salford who seems to be able to cope with not knowing who is playing where this year let alone next and still gets a reasonably consistent level of performance out of a team of mercenaries 

Richard Marshall would be a very brave move but again he has had free reign at Halifax and was very successful with not a lot of resource whereas he would have pretty much everything he has never had at Leeds and far less control 

Watson for me obvious choice if wane doesn’t want it in the short term but at some point sinfield needs to learn it isn’t his team he is not the coach he needs to facilitate not dominate all the time 

more than anything though they need to stay up and sort out recruitment for next year now because they don’t seem to be in a hurry to get a new coach in whoever gets the job will inherit sinfields recruitment decisions with agar and Hetherington acting as consultants on what’s needed 

Not sounding that good a job really is it?

On 01/06/2019 at 17:27, snapski said:

Already been at Leeds, where he was stabbed in the back. That’s got to be on his mind.

knowing you’re possibly only a dozen games into your tenure from the sack too.

Exactly, why would he want to return to a club that treated him so badly in the past, especially as the same muppet is still pulling the strings in Hetherington.

the only difference now is he has a poodle to do his public dirty work for him in Sinfield.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

27 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Exactly, why would he want to return to a club that treated him so badly in the past, especially as the same muppet is still pulling the strings in Hetherington.

the only difference now is he has a poodle to do his public dirty work for him in Sinfield.

If you think Hetherington is a ‘muppet’ I'm not sure your judgement holds much weight.

FWIW I think we are after Flannigan but I’ve always rated Watson as a coach, he always comes across really well

5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

The Hetherington-Powell relationship goes a lot further back than his brief spell as Leeds coach, as I'm sure you know.

Archived