Kallum to NRL

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't look over his injury, not mentally. 

But a new challenge combined with an NRL pre-season might be what he needs.

Any new coach coming in to Leeds might see his big contract as a hurdle to building a better team, especially if others are viewed as more important 'Marquee' signings.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

He will go to NRL not do too much ,but then return to SL with Wire ,  Wigan etc reinvigorated fully recovered and come back to haunt Leeds . To me looks like a major clear out is on the way at Headingley 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Really feel for Watkins if that storys true, before the injury, he was as deserving as anyone to be a marquee for us, now, id be furious if we made him one. He looks physically and Mentally shot, maybe this dispute is part of it, who knows.

From the clubs perspective, we'v got Hurrell on marquee, Harry Newman, whos going to be a star and a lad a year younger but every bit as good as  Newman called Jack Broadbent. The center position is in good hands going forward, i wouldnt be throwing marquee at Watkins.

If the storys true, clubs must have known for a while that a third marquee is deffinatly happening.

If he was on top form then he could have a point about not being a marquee but at the moment he’s lucky to even get in the team. Something is clearly not right either mentally or physically so I wouldn’t be too unhappy if he left, it maybe the best thing for both parties. Been a great player for Leeds but perhaps a fresh start will suit both parties

1 hour ago, rhinos78 said:

Really feel for Watkins if that storys true, before the injury, he was as deserving as anyone to be a marquee for us, now, id be furious if we made him one. He looks physically and Mentally shot, maybe this dispute is part of it, who knows.

From the clubs perspective, we'v got Hurrell on marquee, Harry Newman, whos going to be a star and a lad a year younger but every bit as good as  Newman called Jack Broadbent. The center position is in good hands going forward, i wouldnt be throwing marquee at Watkins.

If the storys true, clubs must have known for a while that a third marquee is deffinatly happening.

Broadbent is a very different type of player though, more solid defensively than Newman, less flashy. I agree he looks a very good prospect 

Watkins looks finished, no way would he get a game in NRL hes been shocking in defence this season falling for simple dummys and making wrong decisions and his attack is none existent he ended a game playing in pack other week. I think the 2 young centres at leeds are hungrier n it shows so id let them play. 

COME ON THE CORN

CLASSY CAS 4EVA

Go Go Go York City Knights!

38 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Broadbent is a very different type of player though, more solid defensively than Newman, less flashy. I agree he looks a very good prospect 

Yeah theyr not the same player...Broadbents a more natural center imo more skilled, Newmans a more explosive athlete. Both very good prospects. I always had Broadbent as the better prospect coming through the system, but i cant ignore how well Newmans stepped up to first team, at championship and superleague level. So just glad we'v got them both. Theres a couple of very highly rated centers behind them aswel.

I think people need to put a few things into perspective.

He has not long turned 28 so he's hardly over the hill.

Until he got injured he was the best centre in SL, most would agree.

He's not, and for some reason, never has been involved in games sufficiently to be on marquee money for me though.

Washed up or finished, no. Insists on £300K a year he should leave.

This is why the Marquee rule is a bad idea. It just alienates content players.

Which NRL team would buy an aging broken player that barely lived up to his built up ability and potential against top shelf opposition?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Which NRL team would buy an aging broken player that barely lived up to his potential against top shelf opposition?

He might be struggling to get over a career threatening injury ,but just turned 28 is not aging 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

19 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

He might be struggling to get over a career threatening injury ,but just turned 28 is not aging 

Large Centers rarely get better with older age in their late twenties , especially after a major injury, its about speed and pace, age and injury do not help either of these abilities.

I can not think of any Backs that were better after they turned 28 than they were before 28.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Unfortunatly he looks completely shot after his injury. He looks the slowest man on the pitch. 

The lad deserves a pay day, and as one of Englands best he was due to get one. But sport is a business. I hope he gets to some where near his former ability. But at the moment I stand with the club you can't throw big money at someone who may be shot.

10 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Very hard to believe a class athlete like him is washed up at 28. Give him a full pre season at a good NRL club and he'll be sweet. I hope he makes the move. I'd certainly take him at the broncos.

Injuries can easily do it. One of the best known cases is Micheal Owen. Also just look at Andy Murray from World number 1 to hardly able to finish a game at 32

2 hours ago, Allora said:

Large Centers rarely get better with older age in their late twenties , especially after a major injury, its about speed and pace, age and injury do not help either of these abilities.

I can not think of any Backs that were better after they turned 28 than they were before 28.

Some right old sh*te gets spouted on here!

Keith Senior, the bloke Watkins effectively replaced at Leeds was in the 'Worlds Best 13' at 28 and he was still making the SL dream team when he was 33 and again when he was 34.

If you open it up to the entire backline as you did, including pivots, many dont get game maturity until further into their career and actually peak later.

Watkins has never ever had blistering pace, if he did he would probably not have been ankle tapped by Dugan in the WC final. He was still in the World 13 team that year though.

Along with him in the World 13 2017 backline you had Billy Slater at 34, Jermaine McGillvary at 29, Will Chambers at 29 and Cooper Cronk at 33! 

In the WC final itself, the other 13 starting backs consisted of 8 players, 28 or over!

What about Thurston, I guess when he turned 28 it was all down hill from there!

Didn't he get the Dally M player of the year when he was 31 and 32? He was pivot of the year consecutively 29 through 32! Golden Boot winner at 28, 30 & 32.

Father time catches up with everyone but not at 28.

Archived